This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be more specific?

So I had this call today, of a gentleman looking for a monitor that he saw in store the other day. I think not a problem. Call went something like this.

Me: Storename, this is Jet speaking. How can I help you?
    SC: I'm looking for more info on a monitor you guys carry.
    Me: Ok, do you know which one.
    SC: I know its really thin and on your back wall. (This describes out entire back wall of monitors)
    Me: Sir do you know anything else about it that description fits alot of our monitors.
    SC: Well its really thin and it looks clear. (Looks clear? and we already went over the thin part)
    Me: Well sir I do need a bit more information than that to determine what monitor you were looking at.
    SC: (Getting impatient) Its really thin! And it curves!
    Me: Oh the Sony monitors.
    SC: Yes the thin ones. (Grr yes I know its thin!)
    Me: Yes we have those in stock and the price is $$, is there any other info you'd like?
    SC: What are the speakers it comes with?
    Me: I'm sorry so, but that monitor doesn't come with speakers.
    SC: What do you mean?
    Me: Almost all of the LCD monitors do not come with speakers unless they are built into the unit.
    SC: How big are the speakers? (umm, it doesn't have speakers!)
    Me: I don't know sir, it depends on the size of the speakers you have or buy.
    SC: Well where do they go?
    Me: I'm not sure I follow you, what do you mean?
    SC: Where do they plug into.
    Me: They plug into the back of your computer.
    SC: Well I know that! But where do they plug into.
    Me: Ummm, the audio outputs on the back of the computer? (Honestly not sure what else to tell him)
    SC: Where do I put them?
    Me: (Getting rather frustrated at the moment) Anywhere you have room to put them?
    SC: How big are they?
    Me: Again Sir, it depends on how big the ones you have, or the ones you buy are.
    SC: Have a nice day *click*

well if nothing else

they said have a nice day....
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Oh, argh!

If I had a dollar for every conversation I've had like that, I could buy one of those "thin curvy monitors." (I think I know exactly the ones you're referring to. Sony HS75 and HS95, yes?)

About laptops:
      Q - "What kind of mouse does it come with?"
      A - "It doesn't."
      Q - "And is that optical or one of those little ball things?"

Q - "What color is the case it comes with?"
      A - "It doesn't come with a case. You pick one out yourself."
      Q - "Yes, but what COLOR is it?"

Computers in general:
      Q - "Does it have Windows?"
      A - "Yes, it has Windows XP Home Edition, but it only has a 60-day trial of Microsoft Office."
      Q - "So it has Word?"
      A - "No, that's part of Office."
      Q - "But you said it comes with Windows..."
      A - "It does. *explanation about the difference between an operating system and an office suite*"
      Q - "So it has Word, then."

Q - "Does it have Windows Home Pro?"
      A - "Actually, yes, this one does come with Windows XP Pro."
      Q - "But not the Home Pro?"

A - "Now, just so you're aware, the computer does not come with security software like anti-virus already activated. You'll need to activate the trial version, or install your own, or have our guys do it for you. It is not internet secure out of the box."
      Q - "So it's already secure and ready for the internet, right? I won't have to worry about viruses and stuff?"

Cameras:
      Q - "How much memory does this have?"
      A - "16mb is it's internal memory size. It doesn't come with a memory card. You'll want to buy a memory card to go with it because 16mb is very small for a 6 megapixel camera."
      Q - "Right, but how much memory does it have?"
      A - "16mb."
      Q - "And how much is on the card it comes with?"

Printers:
      A - "Just so you're aware, the manufacturers are not including the USB cable that connects the printer to the computer. If you don't have one already, that's something else you'll need."
      Q - (phone call about an hour later) "Hey, this printer I just bought didn't come with the UBS cable thing!"

Pizza:
      Q - "How many drinks does the special come with?"
      A - "It doesn't. Just the two pizzas and garlic bread."
      Q - "And what size are they?"
      A - "The pizzas?"
      Q - "No, the drinks!"

And on and on and on... Granted, some of this stuff is confusing, but there is a difference between confusion and just not listening.

(Edit: grammar)
      Last edited by HawaiianShirts; 07-27-2006, 03:35 PM.
      I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
      - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
      - IPF

Comment

Yep, thats the right monitors. And I've pretty much run into every situation you've said...except the pizza, you guys have pizza?!?!

Comment

Quoth Jet
          ...except the pizza, you guys have pizza?!?!
          I wish. That was a previous job. To date, I've done pizza, hotel housekeeping, telemarketing (a little outbound and a lot of inbound), and computer sales. Too many stories about the call center stuff. I've tried to block that out.
          I suspect that... inside every adult (sometimes not very far inside) is a bratty kid who wants everything his own way.
          - Bill Watterson

My co-workers: They're there when they need me.
          - IPF

Comment

I was about to say, damn. I want pizza in my store, but that would be a whole other slew of problems. I worked several depts at a grocery store including the one hour photo and video rental placed then have worked in 3 different departments at my current location.

Comment

That sounds alot like our conversations when we try and sell internet.

They call up with their questions and we can tell they clearly have no friggin clue what they are talking about.

SC: What do you mean I need a modem for dialup service? It's a new computer, doesn't that tell you if it has a modem?

SC: I get no dial tone when I try and dial up. What? Phone line plugged in? Why do I need to have a phone line plugged in?

SC: What version of Windows? Oh, um.....windows version 3 or 4.

SC: What version of Windows? Microsoft? Oh, Microsoft Office.

I swear they just buy it cause it's the KEWL thing to do now.
              "The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget cuts." - Steven Wright

Comment

You sell the internet???? Okay, how much for the whole thing?

Sorry, couldn't resist...
                You gotta polish a memory like a stone. Chip off the parts that remind you it was just a game. Work it until it's indistinguishable from any other memory.

Comment

Grrr....all those gits that just HAVE to have word. But don't want to pay for the works suite or office. I just point them to open office. Free for all to have...They just need to learn a few extra clicks.
                  "I reject your reality and substitute my own"....Adam Savage-Mythbuster

Must remember to stop using "brain of death" on slower morons.... I meant customers.

Comment

Quoth Jet
                    So I had this call today, of a gentleman looking for a monitor that he saw in store the other day. I think not a problem. Call went something like this.
                    With callers like that, I usually mute them and say:

"Could you be a little less specific and a little more vague, please?"

The workers in the cubies around me get a laugh out of that every time...

...don't you know the first law of physics? "Anything that's fun costs at least $8.00."
                    - Cartman

Comment

I am pretty sure I posted this but it really fits this thread:

SC: What color can you make this?
                      Me: Any color, sir.
                      SC: And what color would that be?
                      Me: I don't know yet.
                      SC: Why don't you know?
                      Me: Because you haven't told me yet.

And the ever popular "How many of these flyers do you think I will need?" Erm...

Or, people would point to a picture of a sign and say "I want my sign to be this big."

Me: That's three inches across.
                      SC: No, I dont' mean the PICTURE of the sign. How big is the sign? That's how big I want mine.
                      Me: I have no way to measure that from the picture, sir. Show me with your hands how wide you want it and we'll go from there.

Comment

Quoth phillippbo
                        "Could you be a little less specific and a little more vague, please?"
                        One of my favority Buffy quotes, "Can you vague that up for me?"
                        Labor boards have info on local laws for free
                        HR believes the first person in the door
                        Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
                        Document everything
                        CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

I reckon what comes out of our eloquent mouths transcribes to mental fuzz in their ear canals.
                          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Me--What city, please?
                            SC--Maryland
                            Me--Not the state, what city?
                            SC--PG
                            Me--Not the county, what city?
                            SC--Uh. . . Central Avenue!

Comment

I was out shopping for an new monitor a few days ago (ended up with the Samsung 204B), and those curved Sony ones look like to me, if they're the ones I'm thinking of. You shouldn't blame him for being so clueless... his ability to process details was obviously removed with his good taste.
                              ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                              And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

Working...
                              X