X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Various coupon stories!

These have all happened ever since I begun working in 2007, at Subway. >.<

Side note: I have no idea how it is at other Subways or even Retail stores, but at this Subway you can only use one coupon per order. This was changed sometime in like 2008 because too many people were using multiple coupons and making us lose money. See, people could use stuff like free cookie, free chips, free sub with purchase of blablabla etc.

We also have a sign that says that. yeah, of course...people don't read it!

SC: I can only use one coupon?
    Me: Yeah, the computer was also changed so we couldn't use more than one discount.
    [it's true...if someone wants a meal and a coupon I have to enter the chips and drinks manually instead of hitting the "meal deal" button. >.<]
    SC: You racists....
    Me: (The SC is white)

What is it with people immediately pulling the racist card.

And obviously the biggest annoyance with coupons are when people don't read them!

Me: I'm sorry we can't take this.
    SC: But it says Free Sub!
    Me: Free Sub with the purchase of another 6-inch of equal or greater value.
    SC: Free Sub!
    Me: I'm sorry but we can't use this coupon.

SC: I'll use thsi coupon.
    Me: *looks at it* This coupon only works on Subways in Wyoming.
    SC: So?
    Me: We're not in Wyoming.

SC: And I'm using this coupon.
    Me: ...Mam, this is in French.
    SC: It says free sub!
    Me: We can't take coupons we can't read.
    SC: But I can read for you!
    Me: I'm sorry, but we can't take this.

But the BEST one yet was this week!

SC: I'd like to use this coupon!
    Me: ... Sir...this isn't a coupon.
    *The coupon says "Free 44 oz drink and Sub"
    SC: Yeah it is. I got it from a magazine.
    Me: This is written on a Piece of paper.
    SC: Can I see your manager?
    Manager: YEs?
    SC: *jumps, surprised to see her come over so quickly* Well I'm using this coupon and your worker won't accept it.
    Manager: *looks at it*...we don't take that here.
    SC: Damn. *pays and leaves*
    Manager: *waits until he's out of earshot and then walks back to the room*
    Kangaroo Squee!

At least you have a legit reason for the beginning.
    Still, how hard is it to READ THE COUPON?! Even I've read the Subway coupons that I get in the mail. Free sub...yeah, I know there's a catch. Free upgrade...yes, I know I need the drink...
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I can definitely understand the one coupon per order thing. Hell, most coupons say that ON THE COUPON. I've heard horror stories of people going grocery shopping and not only getting some stuff for free, but making money back on some things, due to the compound effect of a really good sale and some coupons. Sure, it's great to get that as a customer, but it sucks for the store if they wanna stay in business.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato View Post
        Wow, I wonder if he'd walk into a bank with a piece of paper that has "One Septillion Dollar Bill" written on it.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
          I can definitely understand the one coupon per order thing. Hell, most coupons say that ON THE COUPON. I've heard horror stories of people going grocery shopping and not only getting some stuff for free, but making money back on some things, due to the compound effect of a really good sale and some coupons. Sure, it's great to get that as a customer, but it sucks for the store if they wanna stay in business.
          well, for some items, you can get it close to free after the manufactuer's coupon and the item being on sale... this case, the store doesn't lose any money because it gets reimbursed by the manufactuerers

for those people who try to stack coupons (or use them on the double-coupon-day that some stores have), the stores will lose money

Comment

Can you say "fraud"?

Comment

I've gotta say. I love how your manager handled the fake coupon.
              To right the countless wrongs of our days... We shine this light of true redemption, that this place may become as paradise...Oh, what a wonderful world such would be...

Comment

I must say, that last guy has got some BALLS!
                <Insert clever signature here>

Comment

Quoth Digitalpotato
                  maybe he doesn't quite know how to use psychic paper...
                  To err is human, to blame someone else shows good management skills.

my blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/joesblog/
                  my brother's blog --> http://www.hendrices.com/ryansblog/

Comment

Well having found out a little more about why we restricted coupons, they also restricted coupons to just one purchase not just because people were stacking coupons and making us lose money by giving stuff out for free, but they were also stacking forged coupons.

And I really gotta say that part of the people not reading the coupon is also the coupon writer's fault, because they usually make the conditions so damned small and still don't get that if it says "Free Sub", most people will just see the "Free Sub" part and not the "With purchase of a 6inch of equal value".
                    Kangaroo Squee!

Comment

I've had all of those troubles as well, minus the french one and the written down one.

Our policy is also one coupon per customer and then they tried getting smart and wanting us to ring up each order seperately so they could use more than one coupon. Luckily our manager/store owner put a stop to that little loophole and told us to tell them "One coupon per customer per visit."
                      My Fur Affinity Page:https://www.furaffinity.net/user/thetigress/
                      My Weasyl Page: https://www.weasyl.com/profile/thetigress

Comment

There's a reason for that

The reason most people only see the "FREE WHATEVER" and almost never bother reading the rest of it - (and I hate to sound like an anarchy hound) the company figures that the "FREE WHATEVER" coupon will get them into the store, if they're in the store they'll buy stuff (especially stuff with coupons). Most companies, and corps figure that if someone buys something with a coupon, more than likely they'll buy other things while they're there that'll make up for the lost profits... It's stupid and horrible logic if you ask me, they obviously don't realize that if something is marked FREE - that's probably the only thing the customer's going to want.
                        "Always take a moment to thank the food." - Osage Proverb
                        Meat is murder, tasty, tasty murder.
                        Backpfeifengesicht: German for a face that cries out for a fist in it.

Comment

Geez, what was the last guy thinking if he thought he could get away with it with such a cheap, silly trick?

Anyways, when I was a grocery store cashier back in 2004, I remembered this lady who would continuously fake coupons using her computer. Often they were store coupons for products that we had on sale previous months or even years, and I knew which products were on sale that particular week. Many of these coupons actually said "(c) 2002" when she tried to use them in 2004. I also noticed that some of them were one color on one side and the other in another different color. Management told us that our real coupons were all the same color on both sides.

Comment

SC: But it says Free Sub!
                            Me: Free Sub with the purchase of another 6-inch of equal or greater value.
                            SC: Free Sub!

Free sub! free sub! free sub!!
                            Repeating it doesnt make it so
                            Ahh. Made me chuckle.

Comment

Quoth chocoBug View Post

Free sub! free sub! free sub!!
                              Repeating it doesnt make it so
                              Ahh. Made me chuckle.
                              Maybe it was an attempt at the Jedi Mind Trick?
                              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Working...
                              X