This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Amina516 View Post
    I'll have to admit I havent the slightest as to why she checked her watch..lol....care to share?
    To check to see what time it was against what time her husband is home and if the gardner/pool guy/other help would still be at the house?
    A PSA, if I may, as well as another.

Comment

Quoth Record Store Tough Guy View Post
      I agree, it's a perfectly cromulent pronunciation. But maybe atill a bit pretentious. ^_^
      Not if you're South African...
      The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
        To check to see what time it was against what time her husband is home and if the gardner/pool guy/other help would still be at the house?

This was my presumptuous hope.

I know there is no surveillence of the parking lot, though I do admit the possibility she may have called the cops didnt occur to me. Der. I don't think that would classify as harrassement, however. Pretty harmless if you ask me.

Also I didnt mean to offend anyone by poking fun at "vaaz." Americans don't usually say it that way.

Comment

Quoth KaySquirrel View Post
          I've gotten a few looks here because in the UK people pronounce the word garage differently then the North American 'gah-rahge'. I bet people think I'm putting on airs sometimes.
          This reminds me of a Dr. Who episode. It was the one in were he went to Londn during the Blitz and there was some supposedly american character. The actor had the accent right but he screwed up on "barrage". He pronounced it the British way, with emphasis on the first sylable.

Anyway how the the original poster's customer pronounce "bucket"?
          Proud to be a Walmart virgin.

Comment

Reminds me of the Eddie Izzard skit:

You say 'erbs and we say herbs - because there's a fucking H in it.

"Even arms dealers need groceries." ~ Ziva David, NCIS

Tony: "Everyone's counting on you, just do what you do best."
            Abby: "Dance?" ~ NCIS

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
              Bouquet? keeping up appearances filler

Comment

Quoth Mark Healey View Post
                "The Bouquet residence, Lady of The House speaking. It's my sister, Elizabeth, you remember the one. The one with the mansion and room enough for a pony."
                Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                  "The Bouquet residence, Lady of The House speaking. It's my sister, Elizabeth, you remember the one. The one with the mansion the swimming pool and room enough for a pony."
                  You missed a bit

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                    Whether or not "vaaz" is the proper pronounciation is immaterial........I hate to sound like a dick but "it's the principle of the matter".....

People want to sound more prestigious and important by making their words fancy.
                    And if I said 'vaise' or 'erbs' or 'tomayto', I'd be using a non-local accent and sounding all fake and pretentious.

It's all in the region. Some regions say 'vaaz' some say 'vaise'. In a 'vaaz' location, 'vaise' sounds fake, and vice versa.

(Of course, someone with a generally non-local accent is probably going to use the non-local variant.)
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I agree, there are people who will give fancy pronunciations to words in an effort to sound more sophisticated.

It doesn't always work.

You can sound as sophisticated as you want, but if I hear you're shopping at "Tar-jhey," you're not as sophisticated as you like to think you are.
                      PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth RetailWorkhorse View Post
                        "The Bouquet residence, Lady of The House speaking. It's my sister, Elizabeth, you remember the one. The one with the mansion and room enough for a pony."
                        Actually, Elizabeth was the next-door neighbor of Hyacinth.

Violet was the sister with the mansion, the Mercedes and room for a pony.
                        Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

It's been a while since I've seen Keeping Up Appearances. I wish Charter would offer BBC America on the lower tiers here.
                          The Borg wouldn't know fun if they assimilated an amusement park. -- B'Elanna Torres, Star Trek: Voyager

Math! Math, my dear boy, is but the lesbian sister of Biology. -- Peter Griffin, Family Guy

Comment

Quoth blas87 View Post
                            I swear some of the people who bought Liggett cigarettes at the gas station pronounced it "Lij-ettes" just to sound fancy. Super fancy buying the second cheapest cigarettes we have!
                            And they probably shop at "Tar-jay"!

(Although they do carry Mossimo and Todd Oldham.)
                            It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Working...
                            X