This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dumbshit

I had an okay night at work until I was counting down my register.

This dude comes in and wanders around the store. He walks up...

Me: yeah
    L: my coworker
    DA: Dumbass

DA: You got a bathroom. (not noticing L)
    L: Sorry, we don't have a public restroom.
    Me: *counting my bills and not skipping a beat* Sorry, we don't have a bathrrom.
    DA: *with attitude* Well, how do you go to the bathroom?
    Me: *still counting my bills* None of your damn business.

DA just stands there for a second probably thinking he couldn't believe a Circle K peon just told him to mind his business.

Me:*still counting money and fully aware he is still there and hoping that he will go away*
    DA: Uh, yeah, gimme a pack of Marb reds.
    Me: *calmly still counting bills, firmy saying* No. Get. Out.

Dumbass still just stands there and then he walked out without saying a word.

That was an awefully rude question and he got a rude answer back and he deserved it. That is not a question to ask a woman!

Jackass

Um, that was an awfully rude response. How about "Our restroom isn't for the public." or some other variant?

Sure the DA had attitude .... still.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Yeah, I fail to see how his actions warranted that kind of response from you... He was probably just frustrated and letting off a tiny bit of steam and I think it was very unreasonable of you to kick him out of the store without even directing him to your coworker to be helped.

Comment

Yep, I'm going along with the majority on this one. Better customer service at the onset by you both might have avoided this customer asking this question and the retaliation that cost your store the sale of product should not have happened.

CUST: You got a bathroom?

YOU: I'm sorry, our rest room is not for public use. There is a bathroom at ____________.

Try that next time. I'll bet you get a different reaction.
        Last edited by bigjimaz; 02-17-2008, 09:37 AM.
        This isn't an office. It's Hell with fluorescent lighting.

Comment

If you gotta go, you gotta go. XD

It's rainin', rainin', on the streets of New York City.

Comment

When we stopped letting people use our bathroom (some dipwad had messed up it up BAD) we started telling people we didn't have a bathroom. Sometimes we'd get those same people.

Me: The Horse
            SC: You know...

SC: Hey, you gotta bathroom my kid can use?
            Me: *Seeing no kid I didn't already know) Nope. Sorry, we don't have a bathroom.
            SC: This is (say it with me) rediculous! What sort of place doesn't have a bathroom? How do YOU go when you need to??
            Me: At home before I come to town. There's a Wally World right next door, closest as the crow flies, or the pizza place if you can't make it around so many people.

I'm not getting into the HORDES that would go: Wally World? How do I get THERE?!
            Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Okay, you guys fail to see why he deserved the answer that he received. I guess you had to of been there. L said he deserved it and so would of my manager.

He asked me a very personal, private question "How do you go to the bathroom?" A guy asking a woman he doesn't know how she does her business? The smartass look on this guys face and smartass in his tone of voice deserved a smartass response. Another dirtbag asked two weeks ago if I had PMS. Excuse me, like that is any of your business! Why ask a personal question. He said because I wasn't smiling. WTF!

We get asked a lot if we have a public bathroom and we say no and they take it at that and go on with their day. No one has ever asked this sort of question. When little kids need to use the potty, yes we would let them use it since they can't hold it like big people. This guy was probably 21 and wanting to be a dick.

I forgot to mention this too. There is a strip club (who serves alcohol and illegal drug use on the side, believe me I know, the strippers and boucers acknowledge this) next door and we see dirtbags from there a lot. L and I are relatively atractive women, so try to keep "men" in their place when coming from that place. Oh, how we know they are coming from there? We just know, you have to work there to know, it can't be explained.

So, if you think what I said was wrong, that is fine, this is a free internet. We all have our opinions. I think I was right.

Comment

Quoth PorkChop View Post
                He asked me a very personal, private question "How do you go to the bathroom?" A guy asking a woman he doesn't know how she does her business?

I think we all understand that he wasn't asking you how hard you squeeze your sphincter muscles when you're constipated. He surely meant, "WHERE do you go to the bathroom?" His mouth just moved faster than his brain.

That said, I'll concede that he may have been really rude apart from that one sentence (you are right, we weren't there so we can't determine that for ourselves), but if you want to be offended by something, you can probably find plenty else.
                I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

I'm sure it was probably the fiftieth time you were asked that day. And your additional info about the neighborhood kinda drove the point home for me.

So, for what it's worth - I don't think you were wrong.

But then again, I'm kind of a bitch.

The only thing I'd consider a bit extreme is saying 'get out'. But other than that, I'd say you were spot on.
                  Last edited by Peppergirl; 02-17-2008, 05:04 PM. Reason: On second thought....:)
                  "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

i'm in agreement with the op, especially with the background info; just because you have to go doesn't mean a place of business HAS to let you use their facilities.

they have the right to deny you use of their facilities at their discretion, and i get the feeling that he was more than just your average douchebag.

i wish we could refuse the vast majority of people coming to our store; the place would stay cleaner longer.
                    look! it's ghengis khan!
                    Sorry, but while I can do many things, extracting heads from anuses isn't one of them. (so sayeth the irv)

Comment

I can't stand it when people ask me questions when I'm in the middle of counting money. I would just ignore them until I was done with whatever cash I had in my hand when they came up. Then I would pointedly look up at them as if I was just realizing they were there. (I would be nicer if I was the only person at the counter, but invariably there would be other employees around and the customer was just too lazy to take 3 extra steps to ask the other person. Actually, come to think of it, if I was the only employee there, people tended to be less rude if they saw I was counting money. )
                      I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                      I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                      It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

While the customer was rude to 1) interrupt you while counting and 2) challenge your statement about the lack of a bathroom, I think you mispercieved what he was really asking.

As someone else said, he wasn't asking you to describe your method of doing your business, but trying to call you out on lying to him. He figured (rightly so) that it was likely there was an employee bathroom somewhere. I worked in a rough part of town with an employee-only bathroom because the customers would take merchandise in there to unwrap it and steal it, and I got the "Well, how do YOU go to the bathroom?" line a lot when we'd deny that we had one.

Likewise, when a strange man asks if you're PMSing, it is not a serious question, it's a put-down. He's not actually expecting an answer and he doesn't care if you are PMSing or not. He wants to degrade you by trivializing your emotions. It's also a way for men to avoid responsibility for angering or hurting a woman. So yeah, he wasn't asking about your personal business, although it's still sickening that he would imply that a woman's natural state of being is smilingly servile and only PMS could possibly pull her from that.

Comment

That's what customer service people do, whether it's a positive attitude or a negative attitude, we're paid to cope with both.
                          Last edited by LifeCarnie; 02-18-2008, 05:27 PM.
                          Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

OK, guys, this is a site where people come to vent about their workday and the customers they meet.

We may not particularly like the way the OP handled this, and, in fact, she probably contributed to the situation, but there are nicer ways of telling her that.

It's fine if you don't agree, and it's also fine to tell her so, but please don't tear her down while doing it.

We get enough of that from our customers and managers, so we really don't need it from each other.
                            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

ok... my devalued 2cents worth...

While not having been in said situation, nor even a witness to it, I will use my standard line of: There are always 3 sides to an argument - yours, mine and the truth.

But.. yes, Porkchop was rude to the SC.

But... something tells me from the apparent response from the SC (as in, just walked out) that said SC wasn't the most naive of people one would meet. I would go so far as to say such person falls into the 'creep' genre. Or, since PC explained her neighbourhood (and I'm from Australia - so we use the 'u' in 'neighbour' :P) he was probably off his face on something. Something... illegal. And had that 'you are female, thus I can hit onto you' attitude.

If I've read the situation correctly (which is based solely on these posts), said SC deserved it - pretty much the way all SC's deserve it, but we aren't supposed to do anything back to them in general in life (for some reason... bloody society...).

Besides which - since the SC just walked, he was obviously thinking that he deserved such a response - makes me wonder what was actually going through his mind then. AFter all - anybody else would have thrown a fit if they were truly offended by what was said.

Of course... perhaps I don't think I'd want to encount Porkchop on a bad day :-PP

Slyt
                              When I said "From my research", what I actually meant to say was "Made shit up" - from a thottbot thread

Comment

Working...
                              X