Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the OP misunderstood the question ... don't think they guy was asking such a personal question at all.
    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Here's another way you could've answered...
      DA: *with attitude* Well, how do you go to the bathroom?
      "Colostomy bag." Then wince, groan, and sigh.
      You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

I don't think the guy was a SC and IMO he shouldn't have been kicked out. JMO of course.

Comment

I'm going to deviate from the common opinion and say that I think Porkchop's response to this creep was reasonable. He was being very rude, asked a rude question, so he deserved an equally rude response. To me, it sounds like he was looking for an argument, but he probably didn't expect Porkchop to give him a verbal smackdown like that. I wish I could do that to some of my rude customers, lol. Keep in mind Porkchop works in a convenience store, so you can just imagine the kind of creeps she has to deal with regularly and that would make anyone feel defensive. Convienence stores seem to be a magnet for many of the dregs of society.
          My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Quoth kibbles View Post
            I don't think the guy was a SC
            Well, to be fair, when he was told they didn't have a bathroom, he should have left it at that.
            That's where the "sucky" comes in.

I have asked at places if they had a bathroom available, and when I was told no, I didn't ask where they went to the bathroom, then.
            I accepted that their bathrooms were not for the public and moved on.
            Last edited by Ree; 02-19-2008, 12:33 AM.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Most of the time, if an establishment does not have a bathroom for customers to use, it's for good reason. (aka, some of the horrifying bathroom stories on this site)
              You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Ree View Post
                Well, to be fair, when he was told they didn't have a bathroom, he should have left it at that.
                That's where the "sucky" comes in.
                I just don't think he was sucky enough to be thrown out of the store and denied service.

Comment

I hafta say I'm not totally liking the OP's attitude on this one.

When the customer asked "How do you go to the bathroom?", he most likely meant it as "Where do you go to the bathroom?" It is, however, a question he didn't need to ask. The OP may have misunderstood it, but I don't see her response as being sucky.

What I have a bigger problem with is kicking him out when he asked to buy cigarettes. What's the harm in selling them to him if he's old enough and he has the money to pay for them? We can't kick out every customer who decides to be a jerk or says something without thinking.

OP was sucky, but not terribly so. What's done is done.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    I hafta say I'm not totally liking the OP's attitude on this one.

When the customer asked "How do you go to the bathroom?", he most likely meant it as "Where do you go to the bathroom?" It is, however, a question he didn't need to ask. The OP may have misunderstood it, but I don't see her response as being sucky.
                    Okay, maybe throwing him out wasn't warranted. But like you said, it's too late now. Chances are Porkchop was already not in a good mood from dealing with dregs like this one all day, and this guy pretty much caused her to snap with his unneeded smartasseyness. We've all been there, or close to that point. I'm a sweet little thing , but I have somewhat of a wicked temper, and when a customer is rude/snippy to me, it is very hard for me to hide my pissed off emotions.

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    We can't kick out every customer who decides to be a jerk or says something without thinking.
                    It's a good thing I'm not a manager.
                    Last edited by RammsteinGirl; 02-19-2008, 12:48 AM.
                    My Myspace, add me!

Comment

Well, I'd tell the guy "We DO have a bathroom, you just can't use it." Give PC a break; it really WASN'T that guys business.
                      "If you are planning not to tip, please let your server know before ordering so they can decide whether or not to wait on you" - from an advice column I read some time ago

Comment

Quoth Giggle Goose View Post
                        Well, I'd tell the guy "We DO have a bathroom, you just can't use it." Give PC a break; it really WASN'T that guys business.
                        I don't think anyone is questionning the SC not being able to use the bathroom. If there are no public bathrooms, then I agree that's that. What people were questionning was that the guy wasn't that much of a SC to be denied service.

Comment

it was kinda like that for me at my fav music store in va, Planet Music.

at one time they had a public toilet, then they changed it to employee only, then they changed it back & let us borrow the key, then it was employee only again.

luckily there was a bookstore next door with public toilets...but it was pretty frustrating.

Comment

well, here is my two cents(not that any body cares)

personally, im on both sides.

for the SC- when you said you didn't have a bathroom, he could have either asked if you know were a public bathroom is(nicely of course!) or he should have thanked you, and went on his merry way.

also, i don't think any attitude towards you should have happened

to the OP- while i understand how you took his comment, i really don't think that is a reason to kick somebody out. whether or not he meant it the way it sounded, it is kinda common knowledge how a woman uses the restroom......if this had happened to me, i would have been surprised, and confused as to why he would ask, but i wouldn't kick somebody out of the store for it.

i kinda feel it was sucky vs. sucky here.

if a situation like this arises again, use it to make a smart ass remark back at them.

by the way, i would be pretty pissed if somebody asked me if i were PMS'ing as well....

Comment

Well, there are a lot of things going on here. I'm going to attempt to look at this from all angles. For one, I think we're all in agreement that the customer deliberately asked a leading question. The customer certainly didn't expect the "None of your business" response, but rather, "Uh, well, the employee restroom, of course" to which he would've tried his very best social engineering skills to get to. The customer was sucky initially, though I don't believe it warranted the "None of your business" response nor the sale refusal.

I don't think the customer was asking how you went to the restroom as far as how a woman goes to the restroom or whatever. I think it was a leading question and not a whole lot else. Still not understanding why the sale was refused. In fact, I don't believe he was trying to be offensive at all...he just had to go! I acknowledge that when I go into a place, obviously the employees have some sort of access to a restroom. If they don't have a public restroom, often I'll ask if they know where one is. Respond rudely? Yeah, you'll find me peeing on the side of your building. I won't go so far as to deficate, but I would consider it.
                              You can find me on Backloggery, Facebook, Twitch, Twitter, YouTube

Comment

I'm also thinking that maybe he asked to buy cigarettes in order so that he would then be a "paying customer" and therefore WOULD be allowed to use the rest room. When we go on a long drive and stop at say, a Mobil On The Run, or whatever, we usually make a small purchase (soda or snack) as a token of appreciation/courtesy for using the rest room (and sometimes we get gasoline, too). However, these places usually DO have rest room facilities that are designated for public use.

So I'm thinking, maybe if she had sold him the cigarettes, he would have become even MORE pushy about the restroom.

I worked at the Store 24 a long time ago, and our only (employee) privy was Thru the back room, Down the stairs, and All The Way At The Far End Of The Basement. No way were any customers, real or potential, going to be using that!
                                I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Working...
                                X