Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Obvious there are mixed reactions to my post.

I was tired and I was ready to go home. I was there for 12 hours that day and all I wanted to do was count my register and go home. At my crappy convenience store, we do not get breaks. I don't have a chance to sit down. I am lucky to be able to get some food in me. I was hungry and my feet was singing "Ave Maria"

The neighborhood where my store is at is not a good area. Like I said, there is a strip club next door. You think we would have a public bathroom being next door to that? Me thinketh not.
    Some of the most scummiest, nastiest dirt bags like coming into my store and reek havoc. To work in this store, you need to have a 'tude so these people will not walk all over you. Customers give me attitude and I just let it roll of my shoulder most of the time. But that night, I was not in the mood for a smartass challenging me when I told him, sorry there is no public bathroom. Nobody has never challenged me over that before.

Comment

Yeah you could have been nicer but if you have to have an attitude to protect yourself then you did right... although tit would have eeb funny to say off we keep a pee bottle under the till and use that when no ones looking

Comment

Heh, that would of left him bug eyed, huh!

Comment

I can understand the frustration though, PorkChop. I had to deal with some really......undesirable people when I worked at the gas station. And that's putting it nicely. It's very hard to get the gumption to be nice to people like that.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

From what you've said of the store/environment/general clientele your reaction seems justified, but I don't understand is how the question is especially offensive to a woman.

Comment

Wow.... You started out belligerent, and you kept right on throughout the entire exchange. He asked a simple question, and your reply was really confrontational, and you were unnecessarily rude.
              GK/Kara/Jester fangirl.

Comment

I don't think she was confrontation

DA: You got a bathroom. (not noticing L)
                L: Sorry, we don't have a public restroom.
                Me: *counting my bills and not skipping a beat* Sorry, we don't have a bathrrom.
                i getupset when i have to give an aswer a second time. L said SC doesn't get to use it rather nicely. If this wasn't and SC porkchop would never have been involved in the first place. I dont see nothing wrong with porkchop's answer.

Comment

Porkchop, did you even look up at the guy and ask him how you could help him? Or did you just ignore him and continue counting your till out?

Personally, if I'd have walked up, and if you would have continued to count your till when I asked you a question, doesn't matter if your coworker was there or not, I would get irritated if you ignored me.

Now, he shouldn't have gotten upset at you, or asked you the question he did, but he was calling you out on a lie, like a good amount of people would. That's the first thing I learned not to do when I started this job, never lie to a customer, ever.

Comment

Rattslinger, yes I did look up at him and he had a look of a smartass wanting to be a dick.
                    Geez, I'm already over this, I don't care about this situation anymore. For a time, I forgotten that this has happened.

I came onto this website to vent, that was all.

Plus, I got a 100% on a mystery shop, so I am not a horrible employee like some people like to think I am.

Comment

Quoth PorkChop View Post
                      Plus, I got a 100% on a mystery shop, so I am not a horrible employee like some people like to think I am.
                      i don't think you are a horrible employee. we have had people join this website who truly are horrible to their customers, and brag about it.

regardless of whether or not this was one of those days, we all have a day or two where we snap at a customer. whether it be they were being a horrible customer to us, or we just had a really really bad day, it happens. it doesn't make you a bad employee.

i know i have snapped at a customer or two....i did it the other day. is there one person on this board who can say they never once said something to a customer that may not have been the best response?

i don't think you re a bad employee. im sorry you were made to feel that way.

Comment

I don't think anyone is saying you are a horrible employee; but, just as a customers is never 100% right..they are never 100% wrong either. Even the slightly sucky ones. JMO.

Comment

Wow, this one certainly mushroomed before I had a chance to add my ( now-devalued ) two cents. I'm not sure where to even begin.

To PorkChop:

Only you will ever know how the customer in question spoke to you, his tone's inflection, his exact words and how they came off, and so on. Were I in your situation, I believe I would have just let it slide off my back, as that is what I have grown used to from working with the public for so long.

It's hard for me to judge on this one, as it's a second-hand retelling. Having an understanding of your neighbourhood and the surrounding, erm, "establishments", I don't doubt for one millisecond your need to develop a firm attitude with a touch of sarcasm with which to defend yourself from these degenerates all day long. It's a valuable tool. Use it wisely.

As far as kicking the guy out, that might have been a bit too far. I say might have because we'll never know for sure, and can only speculate. As an aside, you mentioned your manager was not there; were you by yourself? Had you angered this chump by your actions, he might have been provoked to attack you, especially considering you were counting money, alone, at night. That just crossed my mind.

Summation: You might have been rude, but the guy was rude first, and more rude.

To asshat customer:

Learn some manners, and ( here it is again ) learn that no means no!

Had you succeeded in the previous two items, you wouldn't have provoked the behaviour elicited by your slack-jawed ways ( but would likely have made up for it in some other boorish manner, so moot point ).
                          Last edited by theredbaron47; 02-20-2008, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Hey PorkChop, I was just wondering if your store has any signs (not that SC's read them, of course!) that say "No Public Restrooms". When I am on the road and need to pee, I look for this first and if I see it, I don't even bother asking. But that's just me.
                            I was not hired to respond to those voices.

Comment

Quoth poofy_puff View Post
                              Hey PorkChop, I was just wondering if your store has any signs (not that SC's read them, of course!) that say "No Public Restrooms". When I am on the road and need to pee, I look for this first and if I see it, I don't even bother asking. But that's just me.
                              Then clearly, you are not an SC or an entitlement whore.

The SC's don't read and the one's that do are such entitlement whores that they think the signs don't apply to THEM.
                              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth Rattslinger View Post
                                Personally, if I'd have walked up, and if you would have continued to count your till when I asked you a question, doesn't matter if your coworker was there or not, I would get irritated if you ignored me.
                                Personally, I'd feel like an ass and apologize if I asked someone a question while they were counting their till. I'd wait patiently til they were done, or try to find an available employee.

Quoth tollbaby View Post
                                Wow.... You started out belligerent, and you kept right on throughout the entire exchange. He asked a simple question, and your reply was really confrontational, and you were unnecessarily rude.
                                I still don't see how "Sorry, we don't have a bathroom" is confrontational. *shrugs* I'd have responded the same way, and had he asked the second question, I'd likely have responded the same as PorkChop did, though maybe without the "damn."

In the end, I do think some people have made a good point - this is a circumstantial thing. We can debate til the cows come home, but none of us were there. For all we know, the guy was a complete and total scum bag with an entitlement smirk on his face, using a creepy tone of voice when asking that question. In that situation, I don't think many of us would have responded differently.

And I think poofy_puff made another good point - he may have felt if he was a paying customer, he would be more "entitled" to use the restroom. While turning down a sale and kicking him out may have been overkill, I don't think she was being overly sucky. Getting the creep out so she didn't have to listen to any more lip from him seems perfectly reasonable to me, especially after the day she'd already had.

/my 2 cents.
                                "In the end I was the mean girl/or somebody's in between girl"~Neko Case

“You don't need many words if you already know what you're talking about.” ~William Stafford

Comment

Working...
                                X