• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Walmart greeter battered, fired

Remember this guy?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dWp1evR8N_Q

Well...

http://www.wesh.com/news/22190479/detail.html

For just a moment, I misread your title as "Walmart greeter battered, fried." Was that intentional?

Anyway, firing the guy was inexcusable.
    Last edited by HYHYBT; 01-11-2010, 03:47 PM. Reason: typo
    Now the trouble about trying to make yourself stupider than you really are is that you very often succeed.

Comment

I dont' think that's the same guy.
      "We guard the souls in heaven; we don't horse-trade them!" Samandrial in Supernatural

RIP Plaidman.

Comment

Its not the same person. Different ages. Different names. Different cities. Different state. Even the fight was completly different. The one who was fired was inside the store, and held his own against him until cops came. The one who is in the first link was punched once and out for the count, and happened in front of police.
        Military Spouse Support.
        http://www.customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=45
        Plaidman's Minions: Telecom_Goddess: Dungeon Minion

Comment

yeah not the same guy but i do remember the story about the greeter who was struck.

The customer also claimed to be acting in self-defense. He accused Bauman of using a slur against him.
          WTF? you punch someone in "self defense" for saying a word?

Somehow I bet the man's lying about that
          and i hope to God the greeter sues walmart for wrongful termination

that's just fucked up

plus i'll be honest... i suspect the customer may have lied about the slur
          if anything just to try to get his sentence reduced since it IS a federal offense to strike a senior citizen
          Last edited by PepperElf; 01-11-2010, 05:58 PM.

Comment

wow they picked the wrong time to fire him.
            If they waited a week or 2 or 3 and then fired him they would not be getting press.
            of course then they would have had to find another reason to do so.

Comment

Quoth PepperElf View Post
              and i hope to God the greeter sues walmart for wrongful termination
              Sadly, many companies (including my own) have a policy against defending yourself (yeah, it's bullshit). They are under the impression that the customer cannot sue the company if you just lie there and let them beat you to a pulp but can sue if you (gasp) defend yourself.

They also are under the impression that your acts of self defense cannot be used against you in court (oh, I was only going to hit him once but he tried to fight back etc..).

Yeah, I know it's bullshit but it's policy and I'm sure if he sues they'll bring that up.
              Quote Dalesys:
              ... as in "Ifn thet dawg comes at me, Ima gonna shutz ma panz!"

Comment

He won't have a case because he's "at will", meaning that the company can fire you for any reason not explicitely illegal, or no reason for that matter. But he could sue Walmart for medical bills since it happened on their property and when somebody's on your property YOU are responsible for their well-being.

Comment

Quoth HYHYBT View Post
                  For just a moment, I misread your title as "Walmart greeter battered, fried." Was that intentional?
                  And served with a honey Dijon sauce for dipping.

Quoth draggar
                  Sadly, many companies (including my own) have a policy against defending yourself (yeah, it's bullshit). They are under the impression that the customer cannot sue the company if you just lie there and let them beat you to a pulp but can sue if you (gasp) defend yourself.

They also are under the impression that your acts of self defense cannot be used against you in court (oh, I was only going to hit him once but he tried to fight back etc..).

Yeah, I know it's bullshit but it's policy and I'm sure if he sues they'll bring that up.
                  That was my thought as well.

Still, if you absolutely gotta fire him for daring to stand up for himself--and I don't think they should've but that isn't my call to make--wait a while before doing it. When you do it this close to the incident happening, it's nothing but bad PR and a media shitstorm waiting to happen.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

though even "at will" states cannot fire you illegally.
                    i guess the question would be, is it illegal to fire a worker for being attacked or for doing what they tell him to do.

like i said
                    i think the whole "slur" thing was made up

Comment

Working...
                    X