Go Back   Customers Suck! > The Heart of the Site > General Work Chat

Old 07-07-2020, 02:59 PM
Parking Attendant

Quote:
Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
Sometimes one of our managers tried to do that--not any of the good guys, this started with the jerks. On one paw they say NO OVERTIME EVER, on the other paw D3 tried to drop complicated projects on me when he knows it can't be done in the time allotted (and I'm allegedly the one with the 'focus' problem...)

Can you get a manager to put in writing all that "shall" be done and the time frame it needs to be done in? Not that you'd be able to get anything through their skull, but at least there's a hard copy of what they want done if you have to prove that you're trying to do it. Maybe jot down notes what was done when, any barriers, etc.
I will follow the notes option so that my employer can come up with a system for the closer to follow.

Old 07-09-2020, 04:53 AM
I need a life

This has never worked in the history of any company in the service industry. They did this to us at the Bullseye working in food. We did maybe have 15 minutes after closing, but the shut-down took hours and yet we were supposed to have food available until the end. We didn't and we got so many complaints. If we didn't stay late to thoroughly clean then we got in trouble for a dirty dining area. We could not win and I don't know how in the world I put up with that for so long.

Old 07-09-2020, 06:25 PM
Area Manager

Quote:
Quoth Food Lady View Post
This has never worked in the history of any company in the service industry. They did this to us at the Bullseye working in food. We did maybe have 15 minutes after closing, but the shut-down took hours and yet we were supposed to have food available until the end. We didn't and we got so many complaints. If we didn't stay late to thoroughly clean then we got in trouble for a dirty dining area. We could not win and I don't know how in the world I put up with that for so long.
Standards like this are why I'm glad they have had me on cleaning duty (carts/store hotspots) only for like 3 months now

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Last edited by Tama; 07-09-2020 at 06:53 PM.

Old 07-10-2020, 01:01 AM
Philosophical Tomato

Staff turnover in our housekeeping/facilities departments are bad even before Covid, I don't want to know what it's like now/will be. The expectations can be borderline unrealistic depending on many factors that everyone expect the managers realize.

Nobody on my team likes closing because of everything that must be done (really the only thing the closer needs to do is make sure the drink coolers are drained) and the unrealistic time frame. What's the point of the closer facing everything, then the opener facing everything again if we don't have an overnight team therefore no reason facing would be messed up?

Old 07-10-2020, 05:04 AM
Chairman of the Board

This is the type of situation that invariably draws from management (up there on their own little personal Cloud Nines) the admonition to "Work smarter, not harder" -- which, of course, means "It's your problem, even though we've created it."

One good thing about my place ... regarding the cashiers, anyway ... when you're done, you GO. We're supposed to scrub down our station and do some basic cleanup chores before leaving, but if you are scheduled to be done at 8:30, and you get a customer with a YUUUUGE order at 8:20 and just finish them off at 8:30 ... you get told to clock out and LEAVE; somebody else will clean your station.

Having said that, I know one of the front-end supervisor got stuck working half an hour later than she should have because of some idiot customer ... and she won't get overtime for it. (Don't know whether she's on salary, and that's why, or whether management is just being a bunch of dickheads.)

Old 07-11-2020, 01:46 PM
Philosophical Tomato

The dickhead theory is always safe

You can get OT pay even if salaried, but there's a threshold. Ask A Manager has the details. In most areas OT is classed as any hours over 40 in one week...at OldJob, there was something buried in the union contract that excluded either Saturday or Sunday from that calculation (so people would be expecting OT but never got it on a technicality)

Old 07-18-2020, 09:10 AM
Till/horse trainer/instructor

Quote:
Quoth Buzzard View Post
Remember: This is 'Manager Fantasy Land', where Real World problems don't intrude, and EVERYTHING goes as planned in his pea-sized brain. Of COURSE you can get it all done on this schedule, without any OT, if you just organize better and follow his masterpiece of a schedule.

Okay, I'm tapped for wild fantasy indulgence for the night, and I'm out of sarcasm, so I'm off to sleep for now.
These kind of people make me wish there would be an undercover boss episode at these places.

Old 07-18-2020, 04:15 PM
Deluxe Lackey

My first cashier job was in 1987: a one-month job at a University book store. (I filled out the application because I was bored, they had already hire people to start in September, but August was a bit busier than expected.)

The store was open 7 hours a day. You could show up mere seconds before opening, and after closing you were supposed to count your drawer, for which they allotted 15 to 30 minutes. Which gave them a cushion of 30 minutes for unexpected weirdness.
Also, you didn't need to count your drawer at the start of your shift because you would be given exactly the same drawer you had counted the previous night.
There were so many ways that place was run extremely well.

At the store I work for now, ... in theory, at shift change the outgoing shift counts the drawer, then the incoming shift verifies their count.
With two registers, the way this is supposed to work is:
Shift 1 counts register 1.
Shift 2 verifies register 1.
Run end-of-shift
Shift 2 may now begin ringing on register 1
Shift 1 counts register 2
Shift 2 verifies register 2
Shift 2 may now begin ringing on register 2.

This, of course, requires that people from both shifts be clocked in at the same time for several minutes.

In practice, what actually happens at best is the registers get counted but not verified. And far too commonly, end-of-shift is run well before the staff for the next shift arrives, so everyone has rung during multiple shifts and every drawer on each shift has had multiple people ringing on it.
shift

Old 07-19-2020, 05:54 PM
Warning: He thinks he's funny.

Sounds more like BULL-shift!