This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kara View Post
    I don't even know much about Paganism. There's something about dancing naked in a forest, I'd be happy to watch her do that any time.

<snip>

A couple weeks ago, I noticed her eyeballing a ritual dagger (I can't for the life of me remember what she called it, but there's a name for it), and I had no qualms about buying it for her.
    The "dancing naked" part refers to what some folks call Skyclad. Not every coven or practitioner does it and it's entirely optional (how devoted one is does not reflect on the extent of said nakedness).

The ritual dagger is known as an athame (pron. ath-a-may).

A friend of my boyfriend and I has a 4-year-old kidlet. Her family is Pagan (not sure what form) and she's been raising kidlet in the faith. She has mentioned though on a couple of occasions that she's been incorporating some of the more common trappings of Easter and Christmas (eggs and gifts) into her celebrations around that time so that when kidlet gets older, she's not necessarily left out. (if it comes up again, I'm going to mention that on my last prac I had two kids who didn't celebrate Christmas in my prac class. One was Jehovah's Witness and the other was Baha'i)
    The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

My brother-in-law's parents, when I read OP and the title, immediately came to mind. His mom is Jewish and his dad is Buddhist Christian. Their family celebrates both Hanukkah and Christmas but, beyond that, I've never heard the topic of religion come up between them (or my brother-in-law and his sister) all the times I've been around them.
      "Things that fail to kill me make me level up." ~ NateWantsToBattle, Training Hard (Counting Stars parody)

Comment

Mormon/non mormon interfaith relationships can get interesting especially with marriage. The only way to have an official Mormon marriage is if both parties are active faithful members of the church. They believe that marriage seals you for time and all eternity. Basically, you'll still be married in heaven type thing. You can't get that if you don't get married in their temple plus marrying an active member is heavily pushed on them at a young age. Having been Mormon growing up, I can see how that might all put some strain on a marriage/serious relationship. I can give you some details but I didn't start dating till I started pulling away from the church so anything else I have is observation from what I've seen. If any of that will help, let me know.
        "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

Quoth Shangri-laschild View Post
          Mormon/non mormon interfaith relationships can get interesting especially with marriage. The only way to have an official Mormon marriage is if both parties are active faithful members of the church.
          What about couples who converted to Mormonism later on?

Just wondering because my great-uncle is Mormon, not so sure on my great-aunty. He's American, she's not.

The only two ways I know (and keep remembering) he's Mormon are:

1) He ended up regaling my dad on the beliefs of the LDS. I got up and left the room when he started doing that (just religious talk is one of those things that makes me somewhat uncomfortable)
          2) Every time we get together, he does not drink beer and used to in the past. I am ALWAYS forgetting that though, so I've slipped up a few times
          The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

I'm a semi-liberal evolutionist-agnostic, he's a semi-conservative Lutheran. When we have discussions they can get very spirited (he was raised by shouting lawyers, and I get riled easily). There's not a whole lot to it, we get along, I think because we're more different than the same.

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
              What about couples who converted to Mormonism later on?

Just wondering because my great-uncle is Mormon, not so sure on my great-aunty. He's American, she's not.

The only two ways I know (and keep remembering) he's Mormon are:

1) He ended up regaling my dad on the beliefs of the LDS. I got up and left the room when he started doing that (just religious talk is one of those things that makes me somewhat uncomfortable)
              2) Every time we get together, he does not drink beer and used to in the past. I am ALWAYS forgetting that though, so I've slipped up a few times
              If they both convert and are faithful active members then they can get sealed in the temple which is the part that adds the "for time and all eternity" bit onto the marriage.
              "Man, having a conversation with you is like walking through a salvador dali painting." - Mac Hall

Comment

I'm Episcopalian, but was raised southern United Methodist and the hubster is agnostic or atheist (depends on which day you ask) and was raised by non-practicing "generic Christian" parents (I honestly have no idea what denomination they align with, if any, but I'd guess Baptist since they are so prevalent in this area).

We discussed how all this would work before we got married. We agreed that I would attend church and be as involved in church activities as I so choose. Currently I'm a member of the adult choir, teach children's Sunday school and am a member of a women's lay Holy Order (the Daughters of the King). Hubby is very supportive of my church involvement and has attended services occasionally for things that were very important to me (like when I was received into the church and when I became a DOK), but he doesn't attend regularly and I don't pressure him to do so, nor do I pressure him to have a relationship with God/Christ. If we ever have a child, we agree to raise him/her Episcopalian with the understanding that once the child is of Confirmation age (16-ish) s/he can determine whether or not s/he wishes to remain Episcopalian or go to a different church or stop attending altogether. Upon our deaths we will both be cremated and our ashes interred at the church.

Let me know if you need any more info!
                Don't wanna; not gonna.

Comment

Working...
                X