This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• There are some things you just shouldn't "like" on FB

One of the roller derby coaches from another team posted about his grandmother passing away and how much it hurts him.

FIVE likes? Seriously?

Sure I know they probably mean it to be consoling but... there's just sometimes when "like" really isn't the most tactful way to express something like that.

I have an aunt who I swear goes through once a week and likes EVERYTHING on FB (I know if she's been on because I will have 30-40 new notifications and 90% of them are her liking/commenting on things). I have another relative (and I actually have no clue how she's actually related to me...like a cousin of a cousin or something super-extended like that) who sometimes likes things that don't seem appropriate and/or COMMENTS IN ALL CAPS.

At least you can unlike something on FB if you commit such a faux pas. On another social site I visit, I have accidentally "liked" things (whilst scrolling and clicking in a mental "auto-like" mode) and there's no way to unlike them. I always comment and apologize, though.
    Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Comment

I think some people hit 'Like' just as a way of indicating they've read the post ... I've done that myself, before realizing that I didn't really 'Like' the contents, at which point I 'unliked' it and posted a comment instead.

Comment

I just wish we could like posts here.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
          I know, right... perhaps we could put that in the suggestions thread

As far as liking things on Facebook... unless it is something that should be liked, in the literal since of the word, I won't Facebook like it, I'll comment, but my mouse won't even hover over the like button.
          If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
            No option under current software other than the reputation system. That one was very divisive when it was in action years back.

Wasn't pretty.

Rapscallion

Comment

O.o dare I ask what happened? I've seen the soon-to-be-dead Playfish forums have a 'thank the user for this post' doobrie and the layout doesn't look too dissimilar to CS. Was it that?
              "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                O.o dare I ask what happened? I've seen the soon-to-be-dead Playfish forums have a 'thank the user for this post' doobrie and the layout doesn't look too dissimilar to CS. Was it that?
                I'm guessing it may have had something to do with popularity of certain members if memory serves. Could have been a different forum I'm remembering. Speaking as a kid who usually got picked last during gym class, my poor self-esteem wouldn't be able to handle a reputation system here. I like the sense of a community rather than a clique system.

Comment

Quoth lachesis View Post
                  ... picked last during gym class...
                  First of every year... captains would picke everybody there, everybody on the roll that might show up, everybody that was going to transfer from another class, everybody that was going to transfer from another school... and the coach would say "You!. You get Sys."

I was 4'8" when I started 7th, 4'10 when I finished 9th...
                  I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                  Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                  Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth SongsOfDragons View Post
                    You could build up or erode away someone's reputation. Got to herd mentality.

Before I took over the place, I had a job where I was getting some classic tales. Six months after I came out of retail, I still had the number 2 slot - that made no sense. However, someone who had built up a very similar (from what I could see) amount of popularity suddenly became unpopular and pretty much chased off the board. Wasn't fun to see.

Rapscallion

Comment

Working...
                    X