This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't work that job any longer.

I switched to my current position about 2 years ago. Because I changed positions at the bank entirely, and can no longer perform the aspects of my old job, I received a new phone number. My prior phone number went to someone who still does my old job. Thus, if people call the old number they had for me, they will reach someone who can help them.

If, however, they insist on tracking down my new number, I will have to let them know that, unfortunately, I can no longer assist (unless they just so happen to need a home loan).

Recently, I have been getting a number of my old customers from 2-years and longer past tracking me down for help. Because I am still insanely busy, I feel a bit frustrated when this happens, but I take care to let them know about my new position and I do my best to give them direct contact information to someone who actually can help. No big deal.

But then, I come across customers who I have already spoken with about my new position, who I have already referred to MULTIPLE other workers who are in the position I used to be in and are qualified to actually help them. Yet they still insist on contacting me whenever something new comes up.

I CANNOT help you with this. You do not WANT me to help you because my knowledge on your issues is two YEARS out of date. I do home loans. Nothing else. Home. Loans.

No, I cannot help you with your IRA. I don't do IRAs any longer.

Call my OLD number. Talk to the guy there. I know him. He knows his job. Call the worker at the other branch that you like going to who still works my old position. They can help. I cannot help.

Frankly, I no longer care if you liked me better. I can't help you! Stop calling me!!!

I sympathize. People just don't hear what they don't want to hear.

I'm in the accounting dept now (yeah I know, I'M still in shock) but my email address at the company hasn't changed. I expect to be getting emails from some customers who were used to dealing with me via email. I did change my out of office message to state that I am no longer in ad sales and cannot assist them, but I'm betting that some people won't bother to read that.
    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

You have my sympathy. While it hasn't happened to me, some of my co-workers have had customers manage to get their numbers and get calls about cases months ago because that worker was just so nice and it would only take a minute to sort out.

I have 2 messages on my work phone. Due to the fact that I never take calls from any number besides work numbers, those messages will sit there until I either remember the password I set up 2 years ago or think to call the help desk to get my password reset.

A co-worker does check her messages and has told me about people who are almost stalkerish leaving messages on her phone.

Comment

On the one hand, it's very nice to know that people thought so well of you ... but yeah, all you can do at this point is just say, "Sorry, I no longer do that but I will transfer you to someone who does" and transfer the call without giving them a chance to say anything.

Because you know if they get a word in edgewise, you'll hear wailing and weeping and gnashing of teeth for who knows how long ...
        Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
        ~ Mr Hero

Comment

We get something remotely similar to this: people call their sales person to resolve a billing issue or cancel their contract. They sell stuff; they don't even have access to our billing system that I know of. So someone sends the sales person an email stating they want to cancel and of course it doesn't happen and then they call me wondering why they're still getting billed.
          "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

When Hubs and I moved to the current home, we we surprised when the phone rang the first week. Most of our relatives are or were the type to let us call them. I answered the phone, and an elderly woman was looking for a man I'd never heard of. I told her we just moved here, this is a new phone number for us, and neither of us know John Doe. She continues to explain that John is her insurance agent. We just moved to town, I say, we don't know him, and he doesn't live here and we don't sell insurance. She asked, "Are you sure?"

Comment

Working...
            X