This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wait...what?

Just two odd ones from today. Other than these guys, I got paid to finish 2 whole novels.

Call #1-

SC: Where are your apartments located?

Me: We're on ***** road bet-

SC: That's too close *click*

Too close to what? The road itself runs from Country Club to I-10 and beyond, without knowing the cross streets how can she know it's "too close"? Does ***** road have a restraining order against her? The whole road? Does it need therapy because of this woman's constant harassment and untoward advances?

Call #2- about 4pm

SC: Is this M******?

Me: Sorry, she's out today, can I help you?

SC: Has anyone reported a fire there today?

Me: (WTF?) No.....not to my knowledge

SC: I'm not sure if I turned off my coffee pot when I left for work this morning. It's been bothering me all day, but I figured by now it would've started a fire, so if there's been no fire then I must have turned it off.

ME: (WTF!?!?) I guess you must have...

SC: Oh I feel better now, thank you!

Okay, let me get this straight. You suspected you may have left your coffee pot on shortly after you left for work this morning. I have been here since 9am. Now, if this happened to any of you dear brilliant CSers what would you do? Would you:

A. Call the office at 9am or as soon as possible giving the office permission to enter your apartment and double check that your coffee pot was indeed off, and if not, have the office turn it off for you?

B. Call the office at 4 freakin' pm and see if your coffeepot has caused a fire and possibly burned up your home, your belongings, and/or your NEIGHBORS.

In the immortal words of P.J. O'Rourke: What the fuck man? I mean really, what the fucking fuck?!?!
    "I've never had a heart attack, but it isn't for my son's lack of trying." - Me

An intelligent person would realize that coffee pots automatically shut themselves off after a certain ammount of time to prevent them from bursting into flame.

Comment

some people! Good quote there; that's about all that CAN be said to that second reply.
      Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
      --Unknown

Comment

My coffee machine has two heaters: one in the brewer and one in the hot-plate. I suspect the brewer cuts out when there is no more water to process, and the hot-plate is definitely on a thermostat. So while it's still not hugely advisable to leave it on unattended, it won't start a fire unless something has gone seriously wrong with it.

Comment

I have an older coffee pot that doesn't shut off automatically... and left it on all day once. Granted, I did not have the coffee carafe on the burner, but nothing caught on fire (thankfully).

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
            My coffee machine has two heaters: one in the brewer and one in the hot-plate. I suspect the brewer cuts out when there is no more water to process, and the hot-plate is definitely on a thermostat. So while it's still not hugely advisable to leave it on unattended, it won't start a fire unless something has gone seriously wrong with it.

I know this, and you know this, but I have the feeling I wasn't exactly dealing with "the dude that was too smart for MENSA", but more likely "the dude that just stopped trying to lick his balls a couple days ago".

Comment

Quoth TTAZ View Post
              I know this, and you know this, but I have the feeling I wasn't exactly dealing with "the dude that was too smart for MENSA", but more likely "the dude that just stopped trying to lick his balls a couple days ago".

You made me choke on my sandwich!

I've GOTTA use that one at work sometime!!!

Comment

Quoth TheSnakeLady View Post
                I have an older coffee pot that doesn't shut off automatically... and left it on all day once. Granted, I did not have the coffee carafe on the burner, but nothing caught on fire (thankfully).
                I just tossed one into the trash last week that was 20 some years old - it seemed to take up smoking during brewing something awful (actually, I think it was sneaking some of my smokes but anyways)

Luckily my other coffeepot has an automatic shutoff that kicks in 2 hours after brew time.

BTW, about nitwit #2, was his name Randall by chance?
                Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

Quoth DGoddessChardonnay View Post
                  BTW, about nitwit #2, was his name Randall by chance?
                  Nah, twas Walter the Nitwit.

This is also the guy that asked me the first time I covered at that complex that if he put his mail in the outgoing box, would the mail carrier pick it up.

As opposed to what, Walter? Flinging it out your car window while doing 75 on I-10 and praying that it's a "homing" letter?

Comment

Working...
                  X