Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The killer stopped HERE to peruse the Froot Loops!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Smapti View Post

IIRC, they tried introducing that kind of milk in the US decades ago and it didn't sell because the idea of unrefrigerated milk turned people off.
    They still sell it, but you have to look to find it. My landlady gets it from somewhere.

I saw a lot of it when I was in the military. That no-refrigeration-required aspect lent itself well to military activity. They used to issue it with MREs. And the chocolate variety wasn't half-bad, once you got past the ambient-temperature thing.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post
      They still sell it, but you have to look to find it. My landlady gets it from somewhere.

I saw a lot of it when I was in the military. That no-refrigeration-required aspect lent itself well to military activity. They used to issue it with MREs. And the chocolate variety wasn't half-bad, once you got past the ambient-temperature thing.
      I personally keep a carton in the fridge in case I forget to pick up some fresh milk.

Comment

Quoth Smapti View Post
        Chips it is. I assume her logic was that if you were having a BBQ or something, you'd eat chips on the side with hot dogs, just like fries are a side for hamburgers. It was certainly an odd way to ask for it, though.

Your check's in the mail, I swear.

IIRC, they tried introducing that kind of milk in the US decades ago and it didn't sell because the idea of unrefrigerated milk turned people off.
        At my "local" greasy-spoon, if you don't want fries with your burger or hot dog, you get chips. (Crisps for the Brits here. )

And confirming CyberLurch: They did introduce "box milk" to the US decades ago, though at least one decade after it was common in Europe. (I imagine that in Europe at the time, reliable home refrigeration was less certain than here.) But you generally won't find it in, or even near, the refrigerated section, it goes on the shelves with other more-durable foods. Sometimes it's with the fancy-shmancy organic foods.

Comment

One thing we have here that might help you guys is foil seals. Our bottled milk has grown in size over the years so that now we get anything from half-pint cartons to 6-pint jugs - that's 6 full Imperial pints, 120 fluid ounces; just short of a US gallon. These bottles are cleverly designed to fit in the fridge door too, otherwise they'd be too annoying to use.

However, we quickly learned that the rip-strip caps were less than suitable, so they're all given a foil seal under the cap now, regardless of size. Stops drips, and makes tampering more obvious.

ETA: We accepted box milk more readily because it's much easier to keep some safely stored away in case you need a cup of tea in an emergency Nothing to do with the quality of our fridges! Powdered milk is also still popular in some circles, but is becoming less common as the shelf life of carton milk extends.
          Last edited by RealUnimportant; 08-28-2017, 11:52 AM.
          This was one of those times where my mouth says "have a nice day" but my brain says "go step on a Lego". - RegisterAce
          I can't make something magically appear to fulfill all your hopes and dreams. Believe me, if I could I'd be the first person I'd help. - Trixie

Comment

Quoth Teysa View Post
            What are these milk jugs you speak of? Milk comes in cardboard boxes and doesn't have to be refrigerated before opening.
            no milk comes in bags and you do need to refrigerate.
            Interviewer: What is your greatest weakness?
            Me: I expect competence from my coworkers.

Comment

This is all udder nonsense!

Though I've had milk in jugs...
              Last edited by dalesys; 08-28-2017, 05:23 PM.
              I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
              Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
              Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Last I checked, Alaska was part of the U.S. Where I work, we get all of our supplies by either float plane or barge. Shelf stable milk is much more practical.
                Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

I think part of what it is, is that, in the US, all "dairy" products sold in stores (stuff that includes milk or eggs, unless it's powdered) MUST be Pasteurized (farms can get around this), which requires that they be kept cold once the treatment is done, or they will spoil quite rapidly. My guess is, most of us US-ians still can't quite wrap our heads around the concept of milk that *doesn't* have to be kept cold, even if it's UHT.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth RealUnimportant View Post
                    ETA: We accepted box milk more readily because it's much easier to keep some safely stored away in case you need a cup of tea in an emergency
                    I will never, ever accept UHT / box milk ; I'd rather go without a cup of tea, and that's saying something.

When I visited Turkey, I could only find UHT milk - it didn't seem to be sold any other way - and started drinking the local fruit teas instead, which were actually very refreshing.
                    Engaged to the sweet Mytical He is my Black Dragon (and yes, a good one) strong, protective, the guardian. I am his Silver Dragon, always by his side, shining for him, cherishing him.

Comment

I have to say I remain baffled that milk is sold in jugs that leak if on their side. You would not think it would be exceedingly difficult to design a jug/cap that manged to retain that delicious, yet difficult to clean, substance.

I understand whey they use HDPE instead of PETE, and that some actual work might be required, but I know I'm tired of trying to arrange my trunk every time I buy milk so the jug doesn't tip over.

Comment

When I worked at Bullseye we sold milk that didn't need to be refrigerated. It was in the same aisle with creamers, I think. I do remember seeing it when I had to straighten that aisle. Of course, it has been over 3 yrs since I was there.....
                        "They gave me a badge with my name on it. In case I forget who I am." Dr Who - Closing Time

"I reject your reality and substitute my own." Adam Savage-Mythbusters

Comment

U.S. here but I actually prefer to bake with box milk (and REALLY prefer it in frosting). For starters, it's ever so slightly sweeter; the UHT process gives it a little sugar boost. And having all the ingredients at room temperature before it goes into the oven makes it less likely to "hump up" in the middle. Don't know why, but there you have it.

Comment

Quoth gremcint View Post
                            no milk comes in bags and you do need to refrigerate.
                            WE FOUND THE CANADIAN!

I'm a Canuck as well. Grew up with bags of milk, but now I only get the jugs since I find them easier to handle, especially since I live alone. It's been decades since I or my parents got bagged milk I think.

As for keeping the jugs, I'll usually keep them upright. Sometimes a store clerk will put them in the reusable bag sideways, but usually only to put light stuff (bread, etc...) on top. Never had a leak problem with the 2L containers.

Comment

Quoth CyberLurch View Post

Where I live, there's a company that delivers milk and if you order them, all sorts of dairy and bakery products to your door each friday. I've noticed that most of the big grocery stores don't carry cartons of milk, but some do, or in limited quantities.
                              Note to self: Hot glass looks like Cold glass.

Comment

I must live in some strange place where our milk comes in both jugs and in cartons that need to be refrigerated, and it also comes in shelf stable cartons. I also hadn't realized milk cartons aren't airtight. I mean, pretty much everything else is, so why would that be different? Goodness all these years have I been one of the trail leaving people?
                                Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Working...
                                X