Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have no idea - never been involved in the law to that sort of depth.

The point I was making is that the Small Claims procedure is explicitly designed to minimise costs for both sides, making is economically feasible to resolve smallish disputes.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
      Not being from Britain, my understanding of British law is a bit fuzzy, but I was under the impression that a solicitor couldn't represent you in court (they could do any other lawyer work, just not that). To represent you in court, you'd need a barrister (lawyer who had been "called to the bar"). Barristers could also do the work solicitors were allowed to do, so you'd see a lot of law offices listed as "barristers and solicitors". Has it been changed to allow solicitors to represent someone in court?
      Depends on the court in question. Some of the lower courts you can use a solicitor instead of a barrister. Small claims is more... Judge Judyish... in that you remove the need for extra costs by being able to represent yourself.
      I am so SO glad I was not present for this. There would have been an unpleasant duct tape incident. - Joi

Comment

We had been receiving calls from someone referring to "Windows for the Computer." Three or four a week and every time I told him that we were not interested in their scam and not to call again. A couple of weeks ago he called and caught me in a really bad mood. As soon as he started his spiel I said "Now look, Hadji - I have told you every time you called that we are not going to fall for your scam and not to call this number again. Now you will give me your full name, phone number and your company name so that I can file a lawsuit for harrassment." That guy was so rude he hung up on me And I guess he took me seriously because we have not received any more calls.
        "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post

Not being from Britain, my understanding of British law is a bit fuzzy, but I was under the impression that a solicitor couldn't represent you in court (they could do any other lawyer work, just not that). To represent you in court, you'd need a barrister (lawyer who had been "called to the bar"). Barristers could also do the work solicitors were allowed to do, so you'd see a lot of law offices listed as "barristers and solicitors". Has it been changed to allow solicitors to represent someone in court?
          Some solicitors are also barristers though even they will usually hire one, and the line is beginning to be blurred at low-level courts.
          "...Muhuh? *blink-blink* >_O *roll over* ZZZzzz......"

Comment

Quoth Oniontears View Post
            Oh WOW. That's just brilliant. Slow clap for that sneaky idea! Would probably be pretty time-consuming though. Luckily I've never gotten any spam/scam phone calls.
            I can't remember the guy's name. I'm sure if you do a web search something will turn up. I think he managed to get $700 or so (not sure what that is in pounds) out of some company as a "settlement".
            Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

I got a scammer call at the front desk today. I just happened to have my iPhone and was on CS. thanks to Geek King, I managed to thwart the scammer (pretend that the scummy site didn't work with the 503 error).

Sad thing is if the scammer had called while the receptionist was ther, she'd have an infected computer by now. Our IT manager was amused and glad I managed to stop them.
              Random conversation:
              Me: Okay..so I think I get why Zoro wears a bandana
              DDD: Cuz it's cool

So, by using the Doctor's reasoning, bow ties, fezzes and bandanas are cool.

Comment

I'm thinking of printing this out and posting it by the phone, LOL. However, the truth is that I rarely answer the phone ... I almost always let the answering machine pick up. If I hear a voice I know, I'll grab the phone and take the call. Otherwise, they can talk to the machine. For some reason telemarketers (even legit ones) rarely leave messages ...

Comment

The guy that runs the below website deals with the Nigerian scammers via email.

http://www.419eater.com/

It's HILARIOUS stuff...
                  Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

Comment

The "Cthulhu Reverse Nigerian Scam"...

Who scams the scammers better than anyone else?

This guy...

http://sicherheitskultur.at/David%20...rse%20Scam.htm

Still the greatest "reverse scam" in the history of the interwebz! A rudimentary knowledge of H.P. Lovecraft's "Cthulhu Mythos" is helpful, but not necessary.
                    "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                    --StanFlouride

Comment

We got a new one today - Mom answered the phone and kept talking to this person and the answers she gave made me suspicious. They placed her on hold and I asked her about it, but then they came back online. After a few minutes I heard her say "No, I am not interested in your scam." And then she gave excuses. I told her then that she did not have to be polite and to hang up.

Once she hung up she told me that the initial caller told her that she had won $500,000 in the Publisher's Clearinghouse. When they placed her on hold, it was to speak to a tax attorney. He then proceeded to tell her that as long as she paid $1,500 the Prize Patrol would be at our door on Monday between 9 and 11.

Guess we'll see if they show up since she didn't pay them.....
                      "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

Wow. I've always been tempted to peek at the Necronomicon, but hey... >_> THAT made it sound scary.

Epic scam bust.
                        My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                        X