Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Didn't you do all your shopping yesterday?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    I don't have a problem with people who only forgot ONE thing
    I wish I could deny that, but on one or two Thanksgivings, I had to make a quick morning dash for the one indespensible ingredient.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth Teskeria View Post
      4 or 5 am or pm? in my house breakfast is between 2 pm and 4 pm and dinner is between 2am and 4 am. so yeah, if we are off we could be shopping at 4 pm or so. difference is, if it says store closes at a specific time, we get there early. or if we really only need one or two things, I stay up front and my daughter runs and grabs them. (being physically handicapped I move slower than cold molasses on a freezing cold winter day.) we are in and out in less than 5 minutes if there is no line.
      Did you mix up the am and pm or do you eat dinner in the morning?

Comment

Quoth Pipthepirate View Post
        I find it perplexing so many people are shopping at dinner time on Easter?

Maybe my family is odd but we always ate around 4 or 5. Who is just doing their shopping then?
        Me for one, I spaced that it was Easter at all and I didn't think that was a "grocery store is closed" type of holiday. I grocery shop on Sundays for the week and my regular store was closed all together and I had to stop at another one for something for dinner that night (craving fish sticks).

Comment

I'm so used to "Dinner at 4" only being that way because someone had been cooking since 9AM ^_^ Then again, that also meant that the shopping was done by Saturday morning, at the very latest.
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Pipthepirate View Post
            I find it perplexing so many people are shopping at dinner time on Easter?

Maybe my family is odd but we always ate around 4 or 5. Who is just doing their shopping then?
            The same people rushing into the swamp to do all their Christmas shopping five minutes before we close Christmas Eve.

I.E. lackwits with poor planning.
            Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Wasn't there a responsible manager watching the door, only letting people out and not letting people in?

Comment

No. ASM should have been doing this (or delegated someone to; myself and Dairy Guy were more than willing to take on the job), but he decided that it was far more important to have baggers on every register and have someone (me) to do last-minute price checks.

As of late, he's been more concerned with 'keeping the customer happy' to the extent where he will give an SC their entire order for free if something like a price check is 'delayed' 30 seconds (we can't find the price tag they are talking about because it does not exist)...wanna know why losses are up? That's why.

He's generally a decent guy, but he brought 'didn't leave until 6:30' on himself. Yes, we may get an extra $500 in sales, but I can guarantee the company blows far more than that in payroll keeping everyone there on a holiday.
                "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

The OP mentioned that the entry door was locked, and that at least one SC just snuck in via the exit door instead.
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)

Comment

Yup. For some reason, the exit door will open from the outside if you stand in the right place; it's also too slow to close after someone leaves...and if the sensor 'sees' anything in its way (the direction doesn't matter) it reopens.

Comment

This is precisely what rent-a-cops are for. The friendly local megasuperhypermarket uses them regularly at closing time - they stand in front of the "in" gates rather than blocking the external doors.

It may also help that closing time is acknowledged to be when customers are no longer allowed in, and I think the customer service desks within the store also shut down then - the checkouts remain open and in use until customers have left. I'm sure that eventually someone goes around and shoos particularly slow ones out, mind.

But ultimately, the uniformed vartija standing in front of the entrance gate is what keeps things under control.

Comment

Most the other stores have security of some sort; the thinking must be that since my store is the smallest and oldest, Corp doesn't need to spend the money to get things like guards to make sure everyone is out when they should be. Never mind if there was actually a major LP/robbery incident; I don't think there is any official plan for anything past fire evacuation.

I'd be willing to bet that a guard would cost less than keeping everyone there at time-and-a-half...but it could eat into the 'additional profits' (well so does keeping everyone on the clock).

Comment

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
                          I'd be willing to bet that a guard would cost less...
                          An old DaddyJim's store in the heart of NOLA used to hire an off-duty cop as a security guard simply because of the neighborhood (a wise precaution). At some point, after several years of this, it was decreed that this was an unnecessary expense...after all, they'd never gotten robbed (whoooosh) Note that this was an executive-level decision, everyone at the store was unhappy about it, including the management.

We all know what's coming next, don't we? Sure enough, within a week of them dropping the guard, they got hit twice, tho at least one of these turned out to be an inside job.

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                            ... they got hit twice, tho at least one of these turned out to be an inside job.
                            Why should some other ***hole get to knock over my store?!?!

If you want a job pulled right, ...
                            I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                            Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                            Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                              If you want a job pulled right, ...
                              The almost exact words of the immoral Zorg.
                              "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Working...
                              X