This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A fire and a coupon

We all know that customers come in many dumb forms... But I think this one may take the cake

A few weeks ago we had a small fire in my store, 5 fire trucks, 2 ambulances, several police cars..

My team and I are standing outside of course, while the fire department is inside..

A lady walks up to me and says

SC: Is there a fire
    Me: Yes (as I look around at all the emergancy personal)
    SC: I have a coupon for a free meal, is there any way I can get that today
    Me: Not now
    SC: Well do you know when, cause I have to back to work in 20 minutes
    Me: I don't think it will be today, we had a little fire
    SC: Can I speak with the manager about this?
    Me: I am the General Manager, and I'm sorry but we had a fire in the kitchen area so we are closed until further notice
    SC: Well it doesn't seem that bad, there's no flames coming out of the building. Can I get a free soda at least..

At this point my team scattered because they knew I was about to go postal on this lady...

"If it's worth it to you to go into a burning building for a free soda, be my guest."
    "Redheads have at least a 95% chance of being gorgeous. They're also concentrated evil." - Irv

"This is all strange, uncharted territory and your hamster only has three legs." - Gravekeeper

Comment

redhead: We all know that there's a better than average chance that someone like that SC would have taken the speaker at their word >_> Aaaaand then tried to sue the place: "She TOLD me it was safe to go in, and that I could even get the drink for free!"

gmgirl: to !
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Some people! It's a FIRE....you know, that hot burny thing that could..oh...kill you?!

This isn't just some lazy bum trying to keep you from your cup of sunshine holding that much anticipated nectar of wonder, or that ambrosia lovingly made in the kitchen.

They're trying to keep you safe.

Go buy food some somewhere else where there isn't a fire in progress, you impossible human!

I wonder if she's some Sim from the Sims games made real. (They're famously stupid like this.)

Welcome!
        1129. I will refrain from casting Dimension Jump and Magnificent Mansion on every police box we pass.
        -----
        http://orchidcolors.livejournal.com (A blog about everything and nothing)

Comment

How do you manage not to respond with something like, "Were you born this stupid, or did you have to work at it?"

Comment

Not to mention she's bugging people who might have just lost their livelihood. She deserved whatever you unleashed on her.
            The Rich keep getting richer because they keep doing what it was that made them rich. Ditto the Poor.
            "Hy kan tell dey is schmot qvestions, dey is makink my head hurt."
            Hoc spatio locantur.

Comment

Me: (points at gushing fire hydrant) "There's your free drink. Enjoy."
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

"Ma'am, do you happen to know if fire retardant foam is edible?"
                "Buh-wah?"
                "Neither do I. Everything in the kitchen, including the soda machines, is covered in it. No, you can't get anything from our store, nor will you be able to until it's all cleaned up and re-opened. Goodbye."

I hope noone was hurt, and that you all still have your jobs (presumably everything's cleaned up; since you said this was a few weeks ago.)
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Clearly this woman has never been burned before ever in her life... not even a minor burn.
                  The most major burn I got was a second degree burn, on the palm of my hand, took several weeks for the pain to fully go away, and that relatively small burn in the scheme of things was enough to give me a healthy respect and fear of fire. I would run into a burning building to save someone's life, but I'm not going within a football field's length if I can help it to save property.
                  ETA- make that a naval carrier's length away if I can help it to get someone free shit.
                  If you wish to find meaning, listen to the music not the song

Comment

I once had to evacuate the Jack in the Box I worked at because a dropped fire extinguisher had exploded and filled the building with a cloud of white powder. I literally ran up front with a cloud following me and a customer decided that that was the right time to ask how much longer his order was going to take.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                      I would run into a burning building to save someone's life, but I'm not going within a football field's length if I can help it to save property.
                      ETA- make that a naval carrier's length away if I can help it to get someone free shit.
                      Totally ditto. Property can burn.

Unless it's as valuable to humanity (as a whole) as the material the Librarian of Basra rescued, I don't give a damn. And even she didn't run into burning buildings - just buildings which might be attacked. (And were, later.)
                      Seshat's self-help guide:
                      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Sometimes it really is a shame that we don't just let Nature take its course....

Welcome aboard gm.

Comment

How do you manage not to respond with something like, "Were you born this stupid, or did you have to work at it?"
                          I love this. I may have to use it now. In all aspects of my life.

Comment

Quoth smileyeagle1021 View Post
                            The most major burn I got was a second degree burn, on the palm of my hand, took several weeks for the pain to fully go away, and that relatively small burn in the scheme of things was enough to give me a healthy respect and fear of fire.
                            Taking a piping hot, gravy is bubbling chicken pot pie out of a 450 degree oven using one hand. Pan starts to tilt, yummy pot pie starts to slide and I grab it with my free hand. The one with no oven mitt on it.

Saved the pie but I am not sure it was worth the second degree burns on my hand. Strike that, I AM sure it was NOT worth the 2nd deg burns.
                            You'll find a slight squeeze on the hooter an excellent safety precaution, Miss Scrumptious.

Comment

SC: I have a coupon for a free meal, is there any way I can get that today
                              I can only imagine the SC thought the "fire" meant "fire sale".

Comment

Working...
                              X