Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tend to burn myself while cooking with alarming frequency. The worst time was when I was making spaghetti sauce once and it had dried peppers in it. The sauce has to cook longer to let the dried peppers rehydrate. So I went to stir the sauce, it splattered on my hand, I jerked my hand still holding the spoon and dumped boiling hot spaghetti sauce on my (bare) foot. There was also the time I was at a campground and their kitchen had one of those industrial ovens with a metal door (really, who thought that was a good idea?!). It was summer, so naturally I was wearing shorts and the inevitable happened. I bumped into the open oven door with my shin. Ow.
    I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Jedimaster, are you sure we aren't related? That whole episode with the spaghetti sauce sounds like something I would do. I can commiserate on the oven thing too. I can't tell you how many times I got thrown into the metal ovens on the train whenever we had a train lurch.
      Question authority, but raise your hand first. -Alan M. Bershowitz

Comment

Ah work related burns are always fun. Got three while working at 7-12, all from the Turbochef oven.

First was over correcting while thanking out some tenders and touching the very hot stone. The other two were from cleaning it way too dang fast and touching the still hot areas around the front of the oven.

Comment

Two burn stories:

One: Some of you will remember this one. My father/boss was sitting on a jetskii, which was vaporlocked. (Gas was where the water was supposed to be inside the jetskii.) He had no idea. HE put sparkplugs in. It exploded. Set him on fire.

He didn't go to the hospital.

Two: I was making chicken fries. I took the pan out, using a potholder that had holes in it. That was a BAD IDEA. My hand touched the bare pan, fresh out of the oven. I screamed, and somehow managed to slam it down rather than throw it into my face and make it worse.

Dad ran down, pretty sure I'd thrown it in my face.

Comment

I had a slight steam burn a few nights ago...Still haven't figured out how exactly I did that either.

Comment

Not all burns are caused by heat. Dry ice can cause burns, too.

Just ask Triple H, WWE wrestler. At WrestleMania this past weekend, they apparently used dry ice to create some fog for his entrance... only it stuck to his abdomen. Gave him 2nd degree burns.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth RootedPhoenix View Post
                I wonder if she's some Sim from the Sims games made real. (They're famously stupid like this.)

Welcome!
                http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=122
                I never lost my faith in humanity. Can't lose what you never had right?

Comment

Oven gloves with holes are bad and cause ouchies. So are tea towels, especially damp ones.

Way back when I was a little year 7, I burnt both hands getting a tray of cookies out of the oven. Our Home Ec rooms did not have oven gloves. We were supposed to use tea towels. Cheap nasty thin tea towels.

Me, being smart, had folded the tea towel over a few times to get the maximum protection. What I didn't know was my team mate had used the tea towel to dry the dishes. I managed to get the tray half way out before my hands started to burn. Cookies and tray ended up on the floor with me yelling and screaming for someone to turn on the taps. My moron team mate turned on the hot tap instead of the cold. Cue more yelling and now swearing my head off. Teacher finally came over to see what was wrong and she nearly fainted when she saw my bright red hands.

Teachers aid was the only person who actually helped. Ended up having both hands soaking in cold water in the sink until an official first aid person could be found.

I ended up with long blisters on each finger and a couple of small ones on both palms. I couldn't hold anything for a week. Could finally write with my left hand after 2 weeks, because it wasn't as badly burnt. Was able to finally use my right hand about 5 weeks after it happened.

And yep, the Home Ec rooms still didn't get oven gloves. But mum got some just for me. And I got into trouble for dropping the cookies on the floor.
                  A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Working...
                  X