Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you seriously WANT to break your neck?!?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you seriously WANT to break your neck?!?

At the arena where I work, the walls are not floor-to-ceiling walls because the roof is around 20 foot off the ground, plus we have "smoke" generators around the arena which fog up the air, making it so people can see the lasers.

These walls are around 13ft or so in height, to discourage people from trying to climb over them as a shortcut. As a precaution, we have clearly written on our house rules that players are NOT to climb on the equipment, both for their own safety, plus the more simple fact that our vests cost around $5000 a piece.

So if someone was to tumble off and land on their back or face, chances are they would shatter that particular part, rendering the entire unit useless - not to mention Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) would have a field day with it and potentially close us down until we 'remedied' the issue - likely by having to build the walls right to the ceilings, meaning we would no longer be able to use our smoke generators and would have to install a ton of new light fixtures to allow for the change in light flow.

So, obviously, I was extremely surprised when a couple of people came out and told me that someone was sitting on top of one of the wall partitions, shooting at people from on top of the wall. I snuck in and sure enough, I found him where they said - not on one of the corners, where he would have at least had 2 sections of wall supporting him from falling, but on one of the main corridor walls, where he had maybe 4 or 5 inches of wood sitting under his ass, if he leaned forward or backward too much, he WOULD have gone toppling off and broken something.

Needless to say, I told him to get the HELL off the wall and out of the arena. The second that he was outside, I took his suit from him and promptly told him that he was hereby BANNED from our arena for not heeding our rules and not to come back for a minimum of 2 years (I would have liked to permaban him, but the boss has fairly firm rules set down, though I DID say that if I caught him on the premises again I would get a trespass order taken out on him.)

He then had the nerve to want the balance of his entry fee back for the time he would not get to play. I simply laughed and said "Like hell, buddy. If you had fallen off the wall and broken our suit, would you have given US the $5000 we would need to fork out for a new suit? I am guessing not, unless we took you to court over it. So get out."

The guy then had the balls to phone the next day and complain when the big boss was around, the boss simply laughed and said "He actually told me about your antics last night, you are lucky he didn't ban you permanently - I would have!" and hung up on the guy.
    Violets are blue,
    Roses are red,
    I bequeath to thee...
    A boot to the head >_>

Like you, I think a permaban would be in order here. You can pretty much guess that the guy won't have learned his lesson when he comes back.

Comment

that's assuming he comes back in 2 years.

I'm personally thinking that he'll either... never come back cos he was butthurt about being kicked out. Or that he'll try to come back sooner, thinking you've forgotten about it.

Comment

Quoth Kagato View Post
        not to mention Occupational Safety and Health (OSH) would have a field day with it and potentially close us down until we 'remedied' the issue - likely by having to build the walls right to the ceilings, meaning we would no longer be able to use our smoke generators and would have to install a ton of new light fixtures to allow for the change in light flow.
        Chain-link or otherwise 'smoke'-permeable fencing from the top of the walls to the ceiling?

I know you shouldn't have to; but it seems like you maybe do.

<pause>

Chain link is climbable. Vertical wire fencing? Pool fencing?
        Seshat's self-help guide:
        1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
        2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
        3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
        4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

The lazerplace I used to go to years back had mostly walls up to the ceiling, with window shapes cut out of them (too small to climb out of, but big enough for snipers and the smoke to move around, and ramps to get you up to the higher levels safely (well, apart from being shot at.) :-) triffic fun and a good use of space.

Comment

Most people don't really care about being banned from a place, semi or permanent.

Granted, this was at a Deb shop at a mall, but when someone got arrested for shoplifting, mall policy was that that person was not supposed to come back for a year. Not like anyone took photos or really remembered anyone.....and it came as no surprise, the same dumb teenage girls we caught stealing underwear a day or two ago were always back at the mall days later.
            You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
              Chain-link or otherwise 'smoke'-permeable fencing from the top of the walls to the ceiling?

I know you shouldn't have to; but it seems like you maybe do.

<pause>

Chain link is climbable. Vertical wire fencing? Pool fencing?
              If OSH wouldn't have a field day, I'd have said barb wire. Most people learn the hard way how nasty that stuff can be and won't go near it unless we have to.

I'd go with the window slits that are just high wide enough for the smoke and maybe sniping, but not much else. Or else, like an old fashion prison, vertical metal bars just wide enough to get the muzzle through and not much else. That won't interfere with the smoke, though it'd throw wicked shadows everywhere.
              If I make no sense, I apologize. I'm constantly interrupted by an actual toddler.

Comment

Chicken wire would be good...too small to get hands and fingerholds on without pain and would let the smoke through

Comment

Working...
                X