Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

(long!)Y'all didn't think this plan through very well...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• (long!)Y'all didn't think this plan through very well...

Today...Was a day of suck. LOTS of Suck. And one poorly executed scam. the scam is as follows.
    Two Teenage girls walked up to me and said they wanted to know if my store would donate clothes for their fashion show. "its for a good cause!" they said. My store does do charity events, but not this kind. we volunteer time and money...not merchandise. I told them this, but they kept insisting. Finally i asked, " Whats this good cause? tell me about your event." They told me that the plan was, that stores GIVE (permanantly) clothes to these two, "for a fashion show" and the proceeds go to a good cause. Again. "Whats the good cause?" they stammered a bit, and finally one of them came up with "uh....the local cheer leader squad?" "Great!" said I, "Which school?" They blanked. they stammered. they couldn't seem to remember what school they cheer at. So i smiled, and leaned forward and said " It seems you ladies didn't think your scam through very well." they bolted and I contacted the manager who called all the stores in the area to let them know about the girls.

Then, we had major suck. A guy came in with clothes that , turns out, he bought THREE years ago. THREE. no receipt. Wants full refund. Our policy is, no receipt, you get the lowest sale price on a gift card. WELL. That wasn't good enough. he yelled. He fussed. He fumed. He called me a Bi**H. I informed him that the items were over three years old, and as such couldn't be resold. So we can't change the prices to full price, when...they are only worth 2 dollars. He called corporate. Corporate called the manager and told her to give the man what he wanted. I hate the fact that they gave in to him. He is a BULLY. we fight to keep them out of our schools....but we welcome them in our stores apparently

A lady came in with a shirt her students bought her. She hates it. She wants it refunded....To her Charge card... which is impossible. She didn't even buy it. So again. She yelled. She fussed. She screamed. She called me names. I told her to take the 20 dollars on a gift card or leave it. she took it. finally. but still. IT WAS A GIFT. SHE ISN"T OUT ANYTHING. she's just a selfish old biddy.

finally my last customer of the day, was a man who wanted to pay his wife's charge. She wasn't present. he didn't have the card and we aren't allowed to look up a card without the cardholder present. I told him this, and he got pissed as hell. "BUT I PAY ON IT!" he insisted. I told him that it didn't matter. Its in her name, and there is nothing i can do about that. He said, and i quote, " Is this place run by government? Because theres nobody more stupid that government employees. You people are all just ignorant. You don't know your head from your A**. Its MY WIFES card. I can do WHATEVER i want." At this point i was sick of hearing him talk ..and my replacement for the shift arrived. ...so i just left. Bastard.

"its for a good cause!"
    That's why the not-for-profit sports team I work with has documentation to prove that they are what they claim to be. so that when asked what the cause is they can prove it etc.

. Its in her name, and there is nothing i can do about that.
    yep. cos he might have been making a payment on it but.... there's been too many cases where a spouse has abused the partner's credit card in revenge. especially if there's a divorce in the works etc.

Comment

Quoth iloveasunflower13 View Post
      TThen, we had major suck. A guy came in with clothes that , turns out, he bought THREE years ago. THREE. no receipt. Wants full refund. Our policy is, no receipt, you get the lowest sale price on a gift card. WELL. That wasn't good enough. he yelled. He fussed. He fumed. He called me a Bi**H. I informed him that the items were over three years old, and as such couldn't be resold. So we can't change the prices to full price, when...they are only worth 2 dollars. He called corporate. Corporate called the manager and told her to give the man what he wanted. I hate the fact that they gave in to him. He is a BULLY. we fight to keep them out of our schools....but we welcome them in our stores apparently
      Corporate, from this example, only seems to see the almighty dollar, and ignores possible scams, and the fact that the almighty dollar will disappear over time with scammers like that person. Unless someone from corporate directly spoke to the customer which is highly unlikely, the manager can lie and say, "Corporate backs me up on this. NO RETURNS!!" Alternatively, the store manager should say, "Corporate is allowing this, but I'm going above corporate and banning you from this store forever..", allowing the return to go through, but the last time you'll ever see that guy.

Comment

I get that all the time they either want to use their spouse card on their customer account or they want to place an order through their customer s account. 9 times out of 10 the account is in the wifes name and oh my goodness, these men get angry for having to get his wifes permission to order something.
        The angels have the phone box.

Comment

In the USA, I will express an interest in the charity, and say that I donate to a couple of bona-fide 501(c)3 charities and would like more info on theirs. Pitches for non-existent charities are stopped cold by this.
          Suckiness is reinforced up OR down at every transaction. Accepting BS makes them worse for all of us; firm fairness trains them to suck less.

Comment

Here in the UK we have registered charities, so if it's a legit good cause, you can ask for their registration number. :-)

Comment

In the US charities register for certain tax exempt statuses, and that's usually the 501(c)3 designation that Automan Empire referred to above. I've seen a couple of similar scams in my time. I've always dealt with them by asking for their information and telling them I'd pass it along for corporate approval.
              At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

You don't need to work in a store to be accosted for fake good causes. Two teens rang my doorbell and wanted to sell me tickets for a "prize" to finance their trip to somewhere. First, if you're printing your own tickets, make sure they are at least even with each other and the same colour. Second, you're not in an organisation with a city permit for solliciting. Third, I'm not financing your trip, I have my own vacations to plan. Even worse are those that beg for money and offer nothing in return. What happened to getting a part time job or mowing lawns or babysitting?
                It's not the years in you life that count, it's the life in your years! - Quote from the office coffee cup.

Comment

We get those visitors to the tax office once or twice a month. You really have to go through an exchange like the OP to get the information about the good cause from them.
                  I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
                  -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

At least they haven't read this book:

http://dailypicksandflicks.com/2012/...ur-spare-time/

Comment

Whats this good cause
                      " 'Cause we want some free clothes!"
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Working...
                      X