This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Teach your children well

Two young women in their early 20s came in with three small children, the oldest of which couldn't have been more than 4 years old. They herded the kids around to choose some chips and drinks, then basically left the babes to their own devices while they browsed for themselves. As I took care of other customers, I tried to keep an eye on the kids, who were running around grabbing things off of racks and dropping them wherever when they found something else they wanted. The smallest, who may have been barely two years old, kept bringing me various things from shelves around the store.

One of the women checked out quickly, buying the kids each some candy, then stood by watching this all go on. At one point when I told one of the kids to stop playing with a display, the woman called out to her friend across the store that she needed to "come take care of (her) kids!" Finally, toward the end of a line of customers to whom I wasn't able to give my full attention, I decided enough was enough.

ME: Hey, I don't have time to watch your kids, so could you do that, please?

The mother yelled at them to stop touching stuff, but she didn't make a move to enforce it. When she came up in line, I scanned the items on the counter, then:

ME: I need to scan those cookies the kids have.
    SC: She already paid for those! My kids don't steal!
    ME: Your friend paid for their candy bars. They just picked up the cookies.
    SC: Well, they aren't getting those.
    ME: Okay, could you bring them to me, please?
    SC: MY KIDS DON'T STEAL!
    ME: I know they aren't trying to steal. They're little, and they don't know what they're doing. They need YOU to teach them.
    SC: <yelling at kids> GET YOUR ASSES OVER HERE AND GIMME THAT BEFORE Y'ALL GET BEAT!

She snatched the cookies and handed them over, paid and they all finally left.

ME: <to the next customer, a regular, who is shaking his head> On second thought, maybe someone else should teach them.

Quoth CarcinogenCrunchies View Post
    ME: <to the next customer, a regular, who is shaking his head> On second thought, maybe someone else should teach them.
    For their sake, hopefully not the police and courts.
    I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
    -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Wow! I shudder to think how they will be when they get older.... I've had too many neighbors who act like this with their kids, it's never good...
      Some people just need a high five...

In the face with the back of a chair....

Comment

Quoth CarcinogenCrunchies View Post
        SC: <yelling at kids> GET YOUR ASSES OVER HERE AND GIMME THAT BEFORE Y'ALL GET BEAT!
        You know, if she said that in front of the wrong person, she'd very quickly find herself in a lot worse trouble than worrying about whether or not her kids are thieves. Stuff like that really just makes me wonder exactly how those kids are treated at home. Moral of the story: Just because you CAN have children, doesn't mean you SHOULD.
        "And though she be but little, she is FIERCE!"--Shakespeare

Comment

Working...
        X