This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth PepperElf View Post
    but yeah, who'd have thunk that Peanut butter contains peanuts. That's like a warning that a beef hamburger contains meat. Or that sleeping pills with "drowsy" warnings. (which they actually have)
    I believe I said it before in another thread, but the warning about drowsiness refers to being drowsy THE NEXT DAY, since some of the drug will still be in your system.
    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
      Warning label on my hairdryer says not to use while bathing because, y'know, that's when all people dry their hair.
      I saw one once that said in the manual "Do not use while sleeping." 'Cause you know "sleep styling" has its own subset under "sleep disorders".

Quoth Mytical View Post
      Well it was in pictures, but I noticed a very strange warning years ago on a plastic tub (that came with a lid). The picture was that of a child in the tub with one of those 'do not' signs over it..and the next one was the lid being closed on said child....
      I've seen that one too! It amused us greatly while we were reorganizing the shop I worked at in Indiana.
      "If you pray very hard, you can become a cat person." -Angela, "The Office"

Comment

All the packets of mixed nuts that we sell in the petrol station have "May contain nuts" on them. Well, I would hope so, otherwise we're selling bags of air.

My brother, who worked as an electrictian for a while, told me about a label he saw on a blow torch. "Do not use to dry hair". That means that somewhere, someone did use a blow torch to dry their hair... the mind boggles. O_o
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Waiting for the day I see a warning label on a bottle of liquor, wine, or beer that reads "Warning: May Contain Alcohol." Yes, it's ridiculous. But so are so many existing warning labels.

This thread inspires me to go get a t-shirt made. Black t-shirt, yellow decal with black print in the style of warning labels. It would read, simply: "Warning: May Contain Rum." Though I suppose a beer one would work just as well.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
          Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Pixilated View Post
            I wonder if that came about because of the infamous case in which some idiot of a woman sued McDonald's (I think) because their coffee was so hot that when she tucked it between her thighs to leave the drive-through, it spilled and she got burned ...
            Here are the facts of the case:

http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm

Comment

Quoth hinakiba777 View Post
              I find warning labels can be a little silly at times. I mean Peanut Butter "May Contain Peanuts" is silly, though "May contain Tree nuts" is important. As I know people who are allergic to tree nuts, but not peanuts.
              !
              For one party at Balticon a few years back I made 2 very careful batches of baklava, one was made with pistachios and one with peanuts. I made the batches a day apart with a thorough kitchen cleaning between. One friend is deathly allergic to peanuts, one is deathly allergic to tree nuts =) My treenut allergic friend had *never* had baklava before so I absolutely had to make some for her!
              Quoth Jester View Post
              This thread inspires me to go get a t-shirt made. Black t-shirt, yellow decal with black print in the style of warning labels. It would read, simply: "Warning: May Contain Rum." Though I suppose a beer one would work just as well.
              I think it is a great idea. Maybe your boss should get some made up with the bar logo to sell
              EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                .. Black t-shirt, yellow decal with black print in the style of warning labels. It would read, simply:
                "Beer Crossing. Watch Out For Ale Darters Pissing Through."
                I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

On my son's cold medicine (aimed at children). My comments in bold

This preparation may cause drowsiness (that's fine ) If affected do not drive or operate machinery.( yeh i'm gonna let my 2 year old drive ) Avoid alcohol (why waste the alcohol on kid the mum needs it more )
                  Last edited by dawnfire; 05-04-2013, 11:33 PM.

Comment

My favorite stupid label is the one on cans of charcoal starter, warning that the contents are flammable. Duhhh, really?

Comment

Quoth Kisa View Post
                      My hairspray says not to store it at temps above 120F, because most people store beauty products in the oven
                      Devil's advocate here - you don't need an oven to get to 120F. One example where 120F could be achieved is in a parked car. While not many people 'store' their hair products in their car deliberately, I could see situations where someone on vacation has hair spray in their luggage in their car. If their vacation was in, say, Florida or Texas or Arizona..... Well, I'm sure you get the idea.

Also, remember that many warning labels are there not so much as a caution, but to limit the manufacturer's liability in the event of an incident. We've all dealt with customers, it's actually kind of smart to assume your end users are complete idiots, even if they aren't.
                      Last edited by ADeMartino; 05-05-2013, 01:30 AM. Reason: added a thought or two, fixed a minor error

Comment

Quoth AccountingDrone View Post
                        Maybe your boss should get some made up with the bar logo to sell
                        Not the worst idea I've heard. Might just run that by the management....

Still A Customer."

Comment

How about those little packet they put in shoe boxes? The read,"Silica Gel. Do not eat."

I'm wondering how many people said to themselves, "I wonder how this would taste on fries?"
                          This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth ADeMartino View Post
                            My favorite stupid label is the one on cans of charcoal starter, warning that the contents are flammable. Duhhh, really?
                            Of course, one of my favorites is the warning on a Fire Log, "Caution: Risk of fire."

I would think that there was a risk of fire with something called a FIRE LOG.
                            This site proves Corey Taylor right. Man really is a "four letter word."

I'm now using my Deviant Art page to post my humor.

Comment

Quoth Eireann View Post
                              Here are the facts of the case:
                              http://www.lectlaw.com/files/cur78.htm
                              Thanks Eireann. I had a very nice lawyer regular at the c-store explain this to me once when some other custy had brought up this case. Why it's entered our mass conscience as a frivolous suit I can never understand.

Comment

Quoth catcul View Post
                                How about those little packet they put in shoe boxes? The read,"Silica Gel. Do not eat."

I'm wondering how many people said to themselves, "I wonder how this would taste on fries?"
                                For some reason, one of the rums we get has one of those silica packets in each box...the bottle, and that packet. My only thought is, "But WHY?"

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                                X