This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did I accidentally commit a faux pas?

Ok, last week, I had to go up to the school district administration building with my wife.

I wore my Sheldon shirt that says, "I cry because others are stupid. That makes me sad." with a BIG picture of Sheldon on it, because that's the shirt I had on, and I hadn't been thinking about it at the time.

Well, I knew we had to go to the second floor of the administration building, but I didn't realize (or forgot) that a lot of business having to do with special education takes place on that floor.

So, did I accidentally commit a faux pas by wearing the shirt that I did?

In fact, this is a picture of the shirt:

The reason I ask is that my wife said afterward "You probably shouldn't have worn that shirt..." and then she explained why...
    Skilled programmers aren't cheap. Cheap programmers aren't skilled.

When I went into boot camp, during MEPS I was talking to another potential recruit and she told me about the shirt her husband wore to work one day.

IIRC her husband use to work military demolition but worked some job at a federal building. He just grabbed one of his regular shirts without thinking and went to work.

His shirt: When it absolutely positively has to be blown up yesterday
    Everyone else: O.o ... *glare*
    Date: 20Apr1995
    Him: Huh? *looks down at shirt*... OMG! I'm so sorry!

Comment

I don't think it was offensive. Special needs people aren't stupid, they just have special needs. In most contexts, 'stupid' means people who are ignorant and don't want to change that, or don't pay attention to their surroundings, or don't read obvious signs...the kind of people we complain about here.
      https://www.facebook.com/authorpatriciacorrell/

Comment

Did you commit a faux pas? Maybe. I'm not the right person to ask.

For example: My company requires that we wear a shirt and tie as our dress code. I'm so anal about how the knot looks on my ties, that for about 20 years now, I've refused to wear anything BUT clip-ons or "zipper ties", because they beat spending 20-30 minutes in front of the mirror, tying and retying the stupid thing until I'm satisfied with it. But roughly 100% of "fashion experts" say that wearing a clip-on is a faux pas, some even say that it's a major faux pas. Whatever.

Also, because of the heat and humidity we get where I live from Spring-Fall, whenever the forecast high for the day is 68° F or above, I wear a short-sleeved dress shirt... with a tie. Which is another thing that "fashion experts" say is a faux pas.

Well, answer me this, Mr. Blackwell.... if it's such a faux pas, then WHY does the fashion industry continue to make and SELL millions of short-sleeved dress shirts and clip-on ties every year? What's that, Mr. Blackwell? I'm sorry, sir, I can't hear you over the sound of you being DEAD and all!
        "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
        --StanFlouride

Comment

Quoth Jack T. Chance View Post
          But roughly 100% of "fashion experts" say that wearing a clip-on is a faux pas, some even say that it's a major faux pas.
          I learned long ago that the Fashion Industry is a bunch of BS.

How? One year, when I was an impressionable teen and trying my hardest to fit in, I was reading a fashion magazine that stated that the in look for summer daytime wear was the black wool dress.

Um, yeah. I was living in Phoenix at the time. No way was I going to wear a black wool dress in 120°F heat!!!

On that day, I gave a big middle finger to Dame Fashion and have never regretted it. Wear what is comfortable and passable, and if that means a short-sleeved dress shirt with a clip-on tie, so be it. (Most clip-ons I've seen are nearly indistinguishable from real ties at a reasonable distance. Who's going to be looking down your neck for the clip anyway?!)
          I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
          My LiveJournal
          A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Hmm ... well, maybe you could've picked a better shirt, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it -- it's an extremely minor faux pas, if it qualifies as one at all. As AnaKhouri said, 'stupid' is usually taken to mean people who know better but do something dumb anyway, not special needs people. Yeah, somebody might take offence at it, but there are people out there who will take offence at, "Hi! Nice day, isn't it?"

Comment

Quoth XCashier View Post

On that day, I gave a big middle finger to Dame Fashion and have never regretted it. Wear what is comfortable and passable, and if that means a short-sleeved dress shirt with a clip-on tie, so be it. (Most clip-ons I've seen are nearly indistinguishable from real ties at a reasonable distance. Who's going to be looking down your neck for the clip anyway?!)
              My boyfriend's "clip-on" ties have a loop that goes around underneath the collar so it's almost indistinguishable.

He almost never wears them nowadays anyway: his uniform at work is either casual shirt and pants (when he's on phones) or company-issued polo shirt and black pants (when he's working face-to-face tech support). Funnily enough, when he was at his previous job (website dude for rival university *fistshakies* ) he COULD wear whatever he wanted (t-shirt and jeans). One of the professors on campus actually caught him wearing his "Cake is not a lie" shirt.

The result? A fifteen-minute conversation about Portal. Initiated by the professor.

In terms of the OP, I don't think you necessarily did commit a faux pas. Some people might see it as such, but special needs, like other people have said, can mean a WHOLE host of things. It could mean blind, deaf, mute, difficulties writing, reading, spelling, socializing, using maths correctly, you name it. It doesn't mean that those people don't have talents though and that's the attitude they're usually trying to push these days. Just because someone is dyslexic does not make them stupid. Only stupid people think that way

(I remember on my last prac, I had a girl in my class WITH dyslexia. While she was given a simpler spelling sheet to work on than the rest of her classmates (who didn't notice or care), she was AMAZING at maths. I remember letting the class explore creation of 3D shapes and went when I saw how many shapes she had created within 20 minutes. 5 shapes, all with different features.)
              The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Quoth fireheart View Post
                My boyfriend's "clip-on" ties have a loop that goes around underneath the collar so it's almost indistinguishable.
                What he has are either zipper ties, or ones that are pre-tied similar to most bow ties that are worn nowadays. I've seen both kinds. The way to tell the difference is to look and see whether or not there's a zipper running up the middle of the "skinny" portion of the tie and around that loop.
                "Eventually one outgrows the fairy tales of childhood, belief in Santa and the Easter Bunny, and believing that SCs are even capable of imagining themselves in our position."
                --StanFlouride

Comment

I don't know if you should have worn that shirt or not but I will say this...I WANT THAT SHIRT!
                  https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                  Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

As the father of an autistic child, I can tell you that he and MANY of his friends love watching this show and would love to see a shirt with Sheldon on it. Or Wil Wheaton.

Comment

Working...
                    X