Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

the only thing that would bother me is surrendering Pumpkin while she's pregnant. Being in a shelter might cause her some stress that option 1 wouldn't cause. Just my 2 cents' worth.

Comment

I'm of the same mind. It would likely be healthier for her and the kittens were she to birth them at her home and not get stressed with being moved to a strange place with strange people.

I can't remember a case of any of the cats I've had that have given birth ever having any complications, but I haven't had any do so recently.

^-.-^
      Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

As far as the shots go, can you do them your self? Here you can go to the local farm store and get all but the rabies and give them at home. The only one you would need to test before hand is the feline leukemia.
        "Of all the liars in the world, sometimes the worst are your own fears." – Rudyard Kipling

I don't have hot flashes. I have short, private vacations to the tropics.

Comment

I did some research online, supposedly a female cat is ready for her first heat and able to have kittens by 6 months. And, here's the best part: unlike female humans, female cats can conceive for the rest of their lives.

We're fairly certain that Baby the cat got pregnant when she lived outside at our old house. She got really fat and disappeared for a few days before we moved, then came back the day we were going to move thinner. But, who really knows what the deal was

You do have to remember that animals rely on their instincts much more than humans. They truly can take care of themselves and know what to do better than we think they do. A cat can have her first litter of kittens and know exactly what to do, unlike a female human who is probably worried like heck and unsure of how to hold a baby or afraid she'll drop it.
          Last edited by blas; 04-13-2012, 11:26 PM.
          You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Quoth BlaqueKatt View Post
            two words:
            Emergency spay.

vets can and will do it especially with a very young cat who may likely die during delivery, It may seem cruel, however if pumpkin dies, so do the kittens, and if you can't find homes and take them to the shelter, they die, or other cats that would've been adopted die to make room for them. It's not pretty, but for the health of pumpkin it should be considered.

Were it my cat, I would do the emergency spay without a second thought, the health of the cat already here is my first priority.
            We did that with a cat that claimed us. She was pregnant at six months when she claimed us, so the vet suggested it. I think it was the best choice all around.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

Oops, need to clarify.

Surrendering Pumpkin would entail the same thing as the kittens. I'd "give them up" to ADL, then turn around and take them home and be their foster parent, but once they were weaned, I'd take them back to be adopted out by the ADL. If I surrendered Pumpkin, she'd come right back home with me, so as not to separate her from her kittens. They'd still be able to nurse, and any extra supplies for her, such as food and whatnot, would come from the ADL. A few weeks before it was time to return her after the kittens are ready to be adopted, I would just need to call the Foster rep (Let's call her Jean), and tell her I want to adopt Pumpkin.

Jean would get all the paperwork together, so when we returned Pumpkin, we'd sign the papers, pay the $40 adoption fee, and they would in turn spay, her get her her shots, and we could pick her up the same day as her surgery, or just after. So really, I'd just lose my cat for a day or 2 throughout the whole process, and she'd still be mine, after all was said and done.

I do appreciate the advice about emergency spaying, but xx_wolfie_xx and I both agree we don't want to take that route unless it's absolutely necessary, and Pumpkin can't handle giving birth. We'll know more about HER health and whatnot on Monday, after the vet looks at her and go from there.

We're still in the discussion stages, but from everything we've read, the average gestation of cats is 65-70 days, and today marks day 30. So we have a couple weeks to hammer it all out, and get more info from Jean. Still not 100% sure what to do.

Comment

HOLY UPDATE, BATMAN!!

Um...

She's giving birth. Right now. Has been in labor for the last hour. One kitten so far.

I don't know what to do, now the decision has been COMPLETELY rushed and I'm freaking out. Yes, yes, I know, it's stupid to be freaking out, but I am. I think the second one is on the way. The kitten is so little So, so, tiny. And Pumpkin keeps wandering off.

We don't have a birthing box to keep them in, the floor tiles are freezing, and in 20 minutes, I have to leave and go to work.

Eeep.... wtf do we DO!?!

Comment

Situation sucks but, but...KITTENS!!!!!

Having never had kittens, I have no advice for you

Do you have any cardboard boxes and old towels or sheets (or even old shirts you don't want)?
                  Last edited by BookstoreEscapee; 04-14-2012, 01:25 PM.
                  I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                  I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                  It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

So, Lupo is at work, when I took her in there was mamacat and one kitten, when i walked in the door there were four kittens, mamacat is laying down and letting them nurse so it seems to me that things are out of our hands for the time being...that's right lupo get used to it there's nothing you can do for now...breath...in...out...in...out

Comment

Ummmm yay for kitties?

And I almost hate to suggest this but the priority boxes at the post office are free... If you still need a box.

Comment

Wish I could help with the boxes! I have an entire spare bedroom of smaller boxes from the last time I moved and am saving for a month from now when I move again, but I could surely spare you guys one.
                        You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

OMG KITTIES I WANT THE ORANGE ONE!!!!!
                          I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                          I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                          It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Quoth BookstoreEscapee View Post
                            OMG KITTIES I WANT THE ORANGE ONE!!!!!

They're ALL orange, just in varying patterns...

AND we're up to 5. FIVE KITTENS!!

I'm going to die from the cute when I get home, I just know it.

Comment

I want pics!!!! Haha

Comment

well, all right. This is the first pic. Realize, I've not even seen them all in person, so you should feel special.

More to come once I've had a chance to look them over.

Comment

Working...
                                X