Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is going to sound kinda wild, but molasses works well in covering up grey hair, you have two options, drinking I think about a tablespoon a few times a week (icky) OR you mix a little in with a conditioner. My grandmother used it as a conditioner and then in one for years, and while she had very few grey hairs, when she made sure to use molasses she had none. She used it twice weekly which made her look even younger (its genetic! I was mistaken for 10 years younger the other day, and both my parents in their late 60's look younger and have barely any grey hair woot!). I've used it to make my hair darker and I go from lighter redish brown hair to almost black within weeks and it looks very natural and makes my hair super super soft.
    So that is an option, also very cheap compared to buying dye.
    Last edited by Squeaksmyalias; 04-29-2012, 11:16 PM.
    I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

I just noticed it at Wal-Mart one of the last times I was there. There used to be an entire section of what color to cover the grey with. Now it's, what color is your hair and how much grey do you want in it? LOL.
      You really need to see a neurologist. - Wagegoth

Comment

Squeaksmyalias - Do you think I could take molasses in rum form and have it work?

Comment

Quoth auntiem View Post
          Squeaksmyalias - Do you think I could take molasses in rum form and have it work?
          It might, my grandmother enjoyed rum. Maybe that is why she washed with molasses not mixed it in her tea.
          I'm the 5th horsemen of the apocalypse. Bringer of giggly bouncy doom, they don't talk about me much.

Comment

Jester, I'm not going to try to get you to decide one way or the other. Not my call, at all, at all. On the other hand, I've been dying my hair not-my-natural-color for longer than you've been legal to drink. I've been greying since I was about your age.

Having it done at a salon becomes hideously expensive if you're going to continue it for any length of time. (Even though your salon sounds quite reasonable.) I have mine done professionally about once a year. The rest of the time, I use Garnier or L'Oreal.

Personally, I do not intend to go 'natural' for some years yet. My grey is NOT flattering. In fact, I can tell it's time to do the roots when a coworker asks me if I'm tired today.

'Course, my 'natural' color isn't all that flattering, either . . .

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
              Also some women *ahem* have a thing for short guys as well.

What were we talking about...?

Oh, yeah, hair color.

I've been using Loreal for a while and while it's good...I recently had my hair colored when I got it cut, just because...and I have to say the professional job came out better and is lasting longer than the DIY stuff. Now, your hair is shorter than mine so you should be able to get the color all through it without trouble if you do it yourself. Just keep in mind that you will have to re-color about every 4-6 weeks.

On the other hand, I think you would like nice with the grey.
              When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Jester, you're a pretty good-looking man, if I do say so myself.

That being said, if you don't like the grey hair, dye it. You may eventually get tired of dyeing it and decide to go natural, but until then, you should do what you feel will make you satisfied with your appearance. It's probably better to do it yourself rather than professionally. There are dyes that are pretty good for do-it-yourself kind of stuff, and they're significantly cheaper. I've only dyed my hair myself twice before, however, and don't remember which brand I used. I think Garnier. Other people would probably be better with the brand suggestions than I would.

Comment

You could always pull the grey hairs out, though running the risk of getting bald then.
                  My take on the problem is that I have come to my grey hairs and wrinkles the hard way and DAMN I'm proud of them .
                  I think asking your sister and mother about their preferred brands is a good idea. If it is just a few grey streaks, they may not be noticeable after dyeing, for longer than if you made a colour change.

Comment

Actually, I just thought...there are products that are specifcally for touch-ups. If the grey is just at the temples or the roots, for example, you can just apply color there. I think they even box some of them with pics of guys on them, so you don't have to feel odd for buying a "woman's" product.
                    When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth Squeaksmyalias View Post
                      This is going to sound kinda wild, but molasses works well in covering up grey hair, you have two options, drinking I think about a tablespoon a few times a week (icky) OR you mix a little in with a conditioner.
                      Eating it sounds easier to me, and I actually like the taste of molasses, so that wouldn't bother me. Just wonder how long it would take to have any effect if I did it that way....

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                      You could always pull the grey hairs out, though running the risk of getting bald then.
                      I wouldn't run any risk of going bald, as they are just scattered. But pulling them out would be challenging, as I am slightly colorblind, don't always see them, and couldn't realistically find them all...not if I wanted to have a life, which I do.

Quoth Mikkel View Post
                      I think asking your sister and mother about their preferred brands is a good idea. If it is just a few grey streaks, they may not be noticeable after dyeing, for longer than if you made a colour change.
                      I plan on asking Mom, but not Lil Sis, since Mom specifically used her to hide her grey, whereas Lil Sis just colors her hair for fun and variety, and is not to the point in her life yet of covering up grey hairs.

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                      Actually, I just thought...there are products that are specifcally for touch-ups. If the grey is just at the temples or the roots, for example, you can just apply color there. I think they even box some of them with pics of guys on them, so you don't have to feel odd for buying a "woman's" product.
                      As I mentioned above, my greys are randomly scattered.

As for buying women's products, doesn't phase me at all. I grew up with sisters. I can buy tampons without breaking stride.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
                      Still A Customer."

Comment

If you go to a beauty supply the prices will be good and they'll give you free advice. They like helping guys with haircolor; no one wants to see the unadvised results.
                        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

I'm with the go natural crowd. Grey isn't the problem for men typically that it is for women. A lot of guys look good with grey hair, or the salt and pepper thing.
                          They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                            Nor do I intend to any of that, in which some grey hair might add some perceived prestige or wisdom to the person doing it.
                            But you are a magician. Once it sets in (as opposed to just strays here and there), you could incorporate it into your professional image.

^-.-^
                            Faith is about what you do. It's about aspiring to be better and nobler and kinder than you are. It's about making sacrifices for the good of others. - Dresden

Comment

I'm also with the "go naturals". From your photo, I think both the salt-and-pepper-look and, eventually, the "silver fox"-look would look magnificient on you.
                              The customer is always right, but this is a public house, and you are a guest.

Comment

When I got my hair cut last week...the amount of grey that came off was truly disturbing! Still, things could be much worse. Both of my younger brothers have not only more grey than I do...but in one case, his hair is receding. Er, did I mention that he just turned 30? Seems they both got hit with that recessive gene from my dad's side of the family. You know, the one that makes you go bald before you turn 40 Good thing then that I apparently got my hair from my mom's side of the family. Both mom and Grandma went grey in their 30s. However, her dad had a full head of thick (albeit grey) hair until the day he died at age 72. What's odd about all of this, is that except for the grey hair and my, uh, "spare tire," I've looked pretty much the same for the past 20 years or so. Not everyone can claim that
                                Aerodynamics are for people who can't build engines. --Enzo Ferrari

Comment

Working...
                                X