This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaii!!!!!

Woooooooooo holiday! Lol. I'm going to Hawaii soon. My dad and I that is. We already plan to go to Pearl Harbour, Punch Bowl Cemetary and we do go to the volcano aswell. How ever I was wondering if you all knew anywhere else that would be nice to visit. Its not an extravagant spend-o-rama, but some other attractions or nice areas, things like that.

that and I get to re-figure out the tipping system (dont have that in NZ) - So I hope I dont show up on here
    "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
    Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Are you doing Oahu and the big island? Are you going to rent a car? You don't need one (in fact it is a pain) in Oahu - the bus system is really good and tourist friendly.
    What do you like to do on vacation?
    If you are doing Pearl Harbor - I suggest also touring the Missouri as well (I think you get a little discount if you both). If you or your Dad are into military history there is another museum I can suggest.
    I haven't been to Hawaii (the big island) - but I've been to Oahu, Maui and Molokai'i (I do miss being a travel agent - le sigh) so I'd be glad to give more suggestions.

ETA - what do you like to eat when on vacation?
    Last edited by auntiem; 05-01-2012, 12:41 AM.

Comment

All valid questions. And I probably should have been more specific XD

We start in Waikiki, and do plan to visit the Missouri, Arizona and the Submarine. The Army Museum, Punch Bowl, and hopefully see Diamond head. We will have a car for 1 day. We also fly to 'Kona on the big island' (Tanslation - Hawaii lol) for the second half (about 3 days) and have a car. Then 6 hours between flights in Honolulu then flying home again.

Regarding food, I'll try almost anything atleast once (yes, I have eaten Escargot.)
      "On a scale of 1 to banana, whats your favourite colour of the alphabet?"
      Regards, Lord Baron Darth von Vaderham, esq. Middle brother to mharbourgirl & Squeaksmyalias

Comment

I have family that lived on Oahu and they drove so sorry, I don't know the exact name of places.
        I really like the Army Museum - that was the one I was going to suggest. For the one day with the car - I'd go to the North Side - head out early to get good parking at the beach (it is the most popular one for locals - ask the front desk for directions). On the way back you can stop at the Dole Plantation if you want. There is an excellent New York style pizza place near the Army base or nearer the beach there is the best food truck on the island (if my cuz remembers the name I'll add it to the post).
        There is some really good first time surfing lessons offered at Waikiki.
        Food-wise, we usually got the best deals / food at various happy hours - Outrigger on the Beach's bar had great food. The hamburger joint across from the zoo is really good and they let your bring in your own beer.
        In Chinatown, the Golden Dragon (I think that is the name) is my Chinese aunt's approved dim sum place.
        For sure do Diamond Head! If you guys are in good shape - try going all the way to the top - the view is amazing and you can buy a certificate stating that you made it to the top.
        If either of you are plant dorks like me - the botanical garden (Oahu) is excellent and if you can, try to take the guided tour. If you want to bring home plants or starts or leis - there are several places at the airport in Honolulu to purchase them and they are pre-approved to take on the flight - but I would ask if that seal will let you take them thru customs at home.
        If either of you dive - let me know and I'll ask my SO for the name of the dive shop he uses (they also do snorkel trips).

Comment

North Shore, Sunset Beach, Shark's Cove, Ala Moana Mall(One of the biggest malls in the world, has shows on the stage weeks days like hula dancing at 1pm.) Also at Ala Moana Mall is Goma Tei a ramen restaurant that specializes in tan tan. Considered one of the best places to get tan tan on the island.

Comment

OK, it's been 30 years since I've been there. We were in Honolulu. The one great thing I remember was gnawing on sugar cane. That was cool. Unfortunately, I was 8, so I have no idea where that was.
            "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Make sure you get your tickets to Pearl early in the day, as they sell out early and there is a long wait. We went and got our tickets and then went and toured the Punchbowl until it was time for the Pearl Harbor tour.

Be careful when you tour the punchbowl cemetery, they are VERY vigilant about tourists as people have destroyed some of the headstones, so be careful, be polite and follow all rules. If you take a tour bus, they no longer allow the buses to let people off and there is limited parking.

Go (if you can) to the big flea market at the stadium, you get some great buys (and it's fun) but it will take most of the day (it's that big!).

See the Banzai Pipeline..especially if the waves are running. I couldn't believe where it was..

Go to the Dole plantation, it was fun!

Buy Macadamia nuts...and send some to me, lol..

On the big island, go to the volcano observatory (of course) but also visit the black sand beach. DON'T take any rocks or sand home..no matter what the urge. It's very bad luck.

Bask in the sun

Have fun!
              Remember, stressed spelled backwards is desserts.

Comment

Couple suggestions. Visit the Polynesian Cultural Center if you have time. Great place to visit to learn more about Hawaiian culture, food, dancing, etc. Try shave ice; it's available from stands on the street and shops as well. It's NOT just a snow cone, TRUST ME. Also try siemein (pronounced sai-men) the local noodle soup. It's delicious, based on a fusion of just about every culture that has passed through Hawaii (Japanese, Chinese, Portuguese, Hawaiian, Filipino...) They actually have it on the menu at Hawaiian McDonald's, so there's an easy place to try some. Don't be afraid to ask locals for help or recommendations; Hawaiians try to practice the "aloha spirit" so most people are friendly. If you like coffee, be sure to pick up some local coffee; Kona Gold coffee (type, not brand) is some of the best in the world. Get some chocolate covered macadamia nuts (local treat, kind of tastes like hazelnut but better.) Sea World on the Big Island is a fun stop too. Be aware, most dishes in Hawaiian restaurants are served with white rice; if you want, try the traditional Hawaiian breakfast (Rice with Portuguese sausage, sometimes with eggs, and guava juice.) If you are feeling adventurous, try "loco moco", it's a very popular local food with white rice topped by a hamburger topped by a fried egg covered with gravy. For cheaper options on the Big Island, hike through the Koko Crater Botanical Gardens or visit the Halona Blowhole, a rare natural formation. I think that's all I can remember; I lived on Oahu for a couple years as a kid.

Comment

Don't take any of the lava rocks home. Pele doesn't like that.

And if you see Alex O'Loughlin, could you send him my way?
                  When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Quoth MoonCat View Post
                    ...And if you see Alex O'Loughlin, could you send him my way?
                    Wouldn't he be classified as hot rocks too?
                    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth kansasgal View Post
                      On the big island, go to the volcano observatory (of course) but also visit the black sand beach. DON'T take any rocks or sand home..no matter what the urge. It's very bad luck.
                      It's true! We were stationed in Oahu when I was a kid. My dad's job sent him to the Big Island for a few days. For some dumb reason, he picked up a lava rock and brought it home. He got hospitalized a couple of times after that for blood clots in his legs. Took the rock back to the Big Island the next time he was there, and it never happened again!

Iolani Palace is worth seeing, as is the Queen Emma Summer Palace.
                      Last edited by strawbabies; 05-05-2012, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X