This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Pagan View Post
    All a college degree really means is that you know a lot about a very narrow subject.
    That is very very true

I spent 3 hours a day, for 12 weeks of my summer, studying 15th Century Flemish Tapestries

I can tell you ANYTHING you ever need to know about Art or History, but dont ask me to do anything more complicated than simple simple algerbra!
    I wasnt put on this earth to make you feel like a man ~ Mary Bertone

Comment

Quoth customersruinmylife View Post
      Student: I am SO glad I will NEVER have to work in a place like this! My degree will make sure I NEVER have to work in a bar. I feel sorry for people that have to work here.
      Oh yes because we all know that a degree equals a job.</sarcasm> Six years from now I'll be a teacher and I'll have my student teacher experience. Does this mean I'll be able to get a job as a first grade teacher in a local school (my ideal)? Nope not at all. I'm anticipating years of working at those after school tutoring classes (Sylvan Learning, Kumon, Whatever it's called where you're from) and substituting before I can get a nice regular job.

Comment

As far as the idiocy of students, I ABSOLUTELY concur. I'm SO glad I graduated early (3.5 years), because I was way over dealing with the stupidity of people I went to school with.

Some of you may remember my rants in OT about my neighbors. Holy. Cow.

I lived in an apartment building on campus....for upperclassmen. Well...just because people are upperclassmen doesn't mean you can expect them to behave or be respectful. They woke me up one morning (2am to be precise) when I had to be at work at 7:15 by skateboarding and running up and down the hallway, moving furniture, and we later realized they had been vandalizing it also. That problem was (temporarily) solved when I went out there fresh out of a Nyquil sleep, totally dishevelled and ticked off. It also helps that none of them (all boys) were over 5'6" or so. I'm a full 6' tall, so I towered over them. Turns out they were rip roaring drunk, and had failed to designate a babysitter.

I have more stories.....a lot more stories, but that's the general idea of how my last year and a half of college went. Truly spectacular....

Yes, college students are quite possibly the largest morons on the face of this earth.
        Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it.

Proverbs 22:6

Comment

College students can be pretty dumb (I'm allowed to say this, I'm one of them) especially during finals. This past week, a large group of friends and I descended on a local starbucks like a swarm of bees. We ended up pretty much taking over the sitting area, rearranging chairs and tables to fit everyone in. We weren't too horrible though, we stayed for about 10 minutes, and put everything back in place before we left. IMO, it's good to blow off steam(no latte pun intended), but have a little respect for the workers.
          Our brains are smarter than we think they am!

Comment

Idiot on a table

Drunk student jumps on a table and starts dancing. I run over.

Me: Please get down!
            Student: Fuck you! I can do what I want!

The student slips, falls, lands on a large pile of glasses, smashing them all, and snapped part of the table clean off.

I was blind with rage.

Me: GET...THE...FUCK...OUT.

Another student comes screeching up to me.

Student 1: You can't talk to him like that! Thats not good service! He fell off one of your INSECURE tables.
            Me: And you can FUCK OFF as well!
            Student 1: What! I'm getting the manager!

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? INSECURE? WHOO - I wasn't even there and this response pissed me off! TABLES AREN'T MEANT TO BE DANCED ON! IF they were, I am sure they would be reinforced and bolted to the freakin' floor - in other words - SECURE!

I used to work at a bar that was surrounded by three different institutes of higher education. The audacity of the students always put me besides myself. The service bar was in the same area as the Golden Tee machine and the crowd around the game would blend in with the crowd standing by the bar and therefore would always cause serious congestion by the service bar. I can't tell you how many times my polite "Excuse me's" turned into loud "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY WAY!" because that was the only thing that seemed to work most of the time.
            "I'm still walking, so I'm sure that I can dance!" from Saint of Circumstance - Grateful Dead

Comment

As a college student I can agree that students can be the worse type of customers in the world. I love the idiot who says that their degree can get them to high places in no time. Uh folks, it's a slip of paper in the end. The only thing worth more is common sense.
              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

As a college student, at one of the top party schools in the country (#7 to be precise) I have plenty of experience with the drunk college crowd. I also have the utmost contempt for most people in business majors (I don't refer to all of them, my girlfriend is a business major and has 100x the common sense that I do most of the time). It seems that the majority of the business/management school just decided on their major because they wanted to order people around and never do any real work. And the classes make them think they're really good at their major because the major itself requires little more than a pulse to graduate with good marks. To graduate with honors here you have to apply to the Honors College (same as applying to the College of Engineering or School of Management) which anyone who has any desire to do well (especially in the business school) will join. It's harder, and the grade requirement is stringent (I may be out of it due to a double bout of pneumonia and a huge grade hit from that) but it's the only way to graduate with honors (summa/magna/cum laude).
                [/ot]

But as for students as customers? The biggest problem I see (and this is as a fellow customer, not even as an employee) is the cluelessness of students who have had everything handed to them on a silver platter from day one. You know, the ones who think it's completely Kosher* to just walk into electronics stores and just sit and play the video games for hours on end, while eating the food court food they got and then having friends save their seat while they go get more... not to mention never buying anything from said electronics store. That or the kids who think that because they are attending school to get a degree (which sadly in many cases requires just a pulse and the ability to breathe in order to obtain... and one can probably get a waiver on the breathing part) they will automatically get the degree and that their "father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate" will set them up for life in this big cushy job and they'll never have to work and can just play golf or lounge around on the beach or whatever until they retire, after sapping the company of plenty of benefits and such, of course.

*One example of cluelessness in action: In the dining commons yesterday I overheard one girl, apparently very amazed, talking to her friend about the matzos stacked next to the soups of the day: "Wow, those are really big crackers..." *confused ditzy look*
                Definitely the future of corporate America.

Apologies for the length.
                "I'm not a crazed gunman, dad, I'm an assassin... Well, the difference being one is a job and the other's mental sickness!" -The Sniper

Comment

I'm a college GRADUATE and I've been working retail the past year to keep my bills paid and allow me to work toward my dreams. There's a lot of competition for jobs these days.

There are many decent college students out there, they just usually aren't the ones getting piss drunk in bars every weekend. HOWEVER, I went drinking with my friends several times in college and we never caused any trouble. Also the bar we used to frequent had great bouncers. If anyone got even a bit out of line, they'd toss them the fuck out there.

Kudos to your manager for letting you continue to trash talk them!

Comment

So, a student orders a meal, and we dont have any of it left. I go up to him.

Me: OK, we don't have any of your platter left, but I'm going to go into the kitchen and make one up using other types of chicken, wedges ect ect, so, it'll be a larger, more high quality meal than you ordered.
                    Student's Friend: Wow that sounds great! Thank you!

I take the meal out to him, I thought it looked fantastic, the students friends wowed when I took it out.

The student just stared at the meal, then shoved it off the table.

Student: That's not what I ordered.
                    "Well, I think we already covered the fact that it wouldn't be exactly what you ordered. If you don't want it, give it to your friend over there. Or the hobo down the block. Heck, give it to ME. It's YUMMY!!!!!!"
                    Unseen but seeing
                    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
                    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
                    3rd shift needs love, too
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

It's amazing how stupid/naive college students can be.

I have friends who party EVERY night of the week. And at the end of the first semester, they were wondering why they failed three of their classes and why the teacher won't help them out. Maybe, if you had studied ONCE, stopped skipping class all the time, and didn't kill all your memory cells, passing a class wouldn't be so damn hard, especially when it's a math class where you are doing fractions. I can see failing differential equations, but fractions?

And then the people assume they are going to make SOOO much money by going to college. Surprise! Not all jobs are six-figures. Don't kid yourselves. Alls college does is make it easier to get into the field you want.
                      "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

I'll agree that college kids (not college students - that's a different breed, I'll get to that in a minute) can be a real pain in the ass. Almost always are a pain in the ass, really...

A college student is someone who goes to college to learn - IE, someone who actually wants an education, not just a degree. Most college students are hardworking (or at least earnest in their laziness), and aren't too much of a pain in the ass.

A college kid, on the other hand, is usually someone whose parents are footing the bill for everything they do, and therefore don't really give a fuck about anything. They feel that they've got a free ticket, and just have to put in the hours to get there. In short, they're teenagers with a few extra years.

The college kids are the ones who do the stupid things like dancing on tables that aren't designed for it, push plates of food off the table (I mean, seriously, WTF?), cause serious damage when they go for "Spring Break" (taking it a little too literally), and so on.

And the sad part is, unless they're being idiots 24/7 (which some do), it can be nearly impossible to tell the kids from the students until they do something stupid.

Comment

I love you.You stink of awesomness.

Comment

Oh, man. I work in the Geology department of my school as a gopher. Since I'm also a geology student, I was more or less drafted to catalogue this great but neglected collection. It's on the fifth floor, my computer is on the first floor. I would go on up to the collection room and pull out this huge drawer that was bigger than the New York Times when spread out. It was full of rock samples that range from the size of a ping pong ball to the size of half a cantalope. Then I would carry this sucker through several swinging doors to the elevator.

Normally, this was awkward, but not horrible. Once I got a good grip and kept moving, things were fine.

One day, I reached the doors to find a pair of students standing in them, each leaning against an open door. I couldn't get through without whacking one of them, something I try to avoid.

"Er....excuse me?"

They kept talking.

"Um....? Hey....?"

They kept talking.

"Hey! COULD YOU PLEASE MOVE?"

Finally, they took notice. The looked at me, they looked at this big drawer of rocks I was carrying. And then, without moving, one said,

"Oh.....are those heavy?"

Rocks, people. Are rocks heavy?

Comment

Quoth Nekojin View Post
                              I'll agree that college kids (not college students - that's a different breed, I'll get to that in a minute) can be a real pain in the ass. Almost always are a pain in the ass, really...

A college student is someone who goes to college to learn - IE, someone who actually wants an education, not just a degree. Most college students are hardworking (or at least earnest in their laziness), and aren't too much of a pain in the ass.

A college kid, on the other hand, is usually someone whose parents are footing the bill for everything they do, and therefore don't really give a fuck about anything. They feel that they've got a free ticket, and just have to put in the hours to get there. In short, they're teenagers with a few extra years.

The college kids are the ones who do the stupid things like dancing on tables that aren't designed for it, push plates of food off the table (I mean, seriously, WTF?), cause serious damage when they go for "Spring Break" (taking it a little too literally), and so on.

And the sad part is, unless they're being idiots 24/7 (which some do), it can be nearly impossible to tell the kids from the students until they do something stupid.
                              damn straight. I'm a college student in THE OC, and let me tell you I see that sort of thing all the time. I'm not legal to drink for another month, but just from what I'm able to see on campus/in dorms...the number of actual STUDENTS is pretty damn slim.
                              Incidentally CRML, if I ever make it to England I'm going to have to find your bar. Hopefully by the time I can make it out there you'll have found a better job, but after reading all your posts I'd love to make my mark as one of the good customers
                              Your true character is who you are when no one is looking.
                              --Unknown

Comment

I work as an in house electrician for a university. I get to do alot of electrical stuff on campus, mostly its installing new circuits, or troubleshooting exterior lighting.

I had one job, over at our "student center" to install some new exterior light fixtures in an overhang. I had to use a boom lift to do this.
                                I had cones outlining the area i was working above, and even had a co-worker flagging people down to keep them from walking between the cones.

Lets just say that 100% of everyone walked through them.
                                10% would stop and quickly exit from the spot they entered from, and then walk around.
                                5% would acknowledge our attempts to safe guard their skulls from falling tools and falling fixtures..*heavy ones too... atleast because of the glass lens in them*
                                the rest would ignore us, and every attempt to protect their delicate little skulls.

Thank god for the fact that if we "safe" off an area (IE orange fencing, orange cones, caution tape etc) in any offical way, all liability is removed from us. So if a student gets hurt, its not our fault because we tried to protect them.

They are like cattle anyway... they walk around with their heads down, and dont even look up to cross the roads around campus. Im shocked more of them havent gotten run over.
                                And its not just the studets/kids thing. ITS ALL OF THEM!
                                http://www.vilecity.com/index.php?r=221271
                                Cyberpunk mayhem!

Comment

Working...
                                X