This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Shards View Post
    I don't know for a fact, because I'm adopted and have no way of finding my biological family (at least not yet), but I am fairly sure I have some very frigid northern blood running through me, and I was raised in PA, which isn't that far north, compared to many of the other posters here, but it is in the northern section of the states.

OMG! I'm adopted too! Oddly, so is skandranon and swordsman422(the only 2 ppl I know in real life and on the cs boards). When I turn 21, this summer, I'm going to get my paperwork and set forth on finding the bio-fam.

Anywho, I know I've mentioned it before, but a rottweiler keeps ppl off your property pretty well. Of course, out in the north ga mountains, everyone has a gun, so ppl usually keep off private property anyway.
    Check out my cosplay social group!
    http://customerssuck.com/board/group.php?groupid=18

Comment

Quoth Shards View Post
      I don't know for a fact, because I'm adopted and have no way of finding my biological family (at least not yet), but I am fairly sure I have some very frigid northern blood running through me, and I was raised in PA, which isn't that far north, compared to many of the other posters here, but it is in the northern section of the states.
      Yeah, but that's still farther north than me. I moved up here to Albuquerque 10 years ago....from my hometown of Las Cruces, NM, which is 225 miles south of here. I don't deal well when the temperature is below 70.
      It's floating wicker propelled by fire!

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
        Yeah, but that's still farther north than me. I moved up here to Albuquerque 10 years ago....from my hometown of Las Cruces, NM, which is 225 miles south of here. I don't deal well when the temperature is below 70.
        Swap some blood with you. I can't stand the summers up here as it is, so some heat tolerance would be nice. I'm half Scandinavian, quarter British Newfie, and quarter Ukranian. None exactly places known for their balmy summer weather
        Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

I, too, am NOT a fan of Winter. I will never understand people who think that the snow is so beautiful and so wonderful.

Anyway, back on topic.... what were they thinking???? They honestly thought that you would allow them to come onto YOUR private property to go sledding???? Your husband definitely handled that ALOT better than I would have!
          "500 bucks, that's almost a million!"
          ~Curly from the 3 Stooges

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
            Swap some blood with you. I can't stand the summers up here as it is, so some heat tolerance would be nice. I'm half Scandinavian, quarter British Newfie, and quarter Ukranian. None exactly places known for their balmy summer weather
            That's not gonna help ya....I'm Scots-Irish with some Norman and Danish Viking thrown in for good measure. Which explains being blood-thirsty....but I digress. Don't know where the heat tolerance comes from. Maybe it's nurture over nature????

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
              That's not gonna help ya....I'm Scots-Irish with some Norman and Danish Viking thrown in for good measure. Which explains being blood-thirsty....but I digress. Don't know where the heat tolerance comes from. Maybe it's nurture over nature????
              Scots-Irish! Well no wonder! All the hard liquor has thinned your blood!
              But, yeah, I guess I went nature, you went nuture. Hmm...Maybe we should go raid some villages. I just picked up California in a sweet deal in another thread, be an easy target!
              Ba'al: I'm a god. Gods are all-knowing.

http://unrelatedcaptions.com/45147

Comment

Growing up at my parents, we lived 2-3 blocks away from the downtown part of town. Every summer we'd get a carnival and one night would have fireworks. The fireworks always brought out the idiots parking on our property. If we were having anyone over that night we'd purposely park in the areas people are apt to park in so we'd save them a spot.

Quoth Tito View Post
                I, too, am NOT a fan of Winter. I will never understand people who think that the snow is so beautiful and so wonderful.
                I have spent my entire life in Michigan and I am getting sick of the snow. Slightly cold (As in late 40s) I don't mind too much but when it gets bone chillingly cold (10-20s) I get annoyed. Snow is pretty when you're walking through the woods but when it's on your car, causing you to get stuck, and makes you late for class it gets to a point where you say "Okay enough is enough." I plan on moving out west when I finish school just to get away from the snow. Only thing I would miss is ice skating on lakes. A lot of fun
                The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Quoth Pagan View Post
                  I'm with you, sugar, I'm a mountain girl, but, when it gets below 60, I'm wrapping up, and cutting on the gas logs! I don't know that it's blood, either. I've got Scots, Brit, German, and Cherokee, that I know of, and possibly French, so...I guess it's just the fact that I love summer, I love swimming, and having a tan. (hey, I'm a chick, I'm vain, sue me! ) Winter sucks, to me, it's cold, you have little to no sunshine, and my tan goes bye-bye.

Comment

I suffer terribly in both heat AND cold. In the heat, I get sweat rashes even in the low 30s C. In the cold, I just can't get warm no matter what - even with snow-grade undergarments, polar fleece, hats and gloves and so on, even at above-freezing temperatures. It can be as warm as 10 or even 15 C and I'm still chilled.

It's just not fair.
                    Seshat's self-help guide:
                    1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                    2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                    3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                    4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Quoth Broomjockey View Post
                      Scots-Irish! Well no wonder! All the hard liquor has thinned your blood!
                      But, yeah, I guess I went nature, you went nuture. Hmm...Maybe we should go raid some villages. I just picked up California in a sweet deal in another thread, be an easy target!
                      Well, considering the Viking part of me....let's go raiding!! All I can think of right now though, is the Snickers commercial with the Viking picking up a whole bunch of other bloodthirsty types yelling "FEAST"!

I had a LPN a while back try to make me feel....guilty, I guess because I enjoy a wee dram or a pint on occasion. I almost looked at her and said, "Seriously? Look at me. If one half of me isn't clammering for Guiness, the other half is lobbying for scotch!" But I didn't because then I would have had a "drinking problem".

Quoth TennesseeWhiskey View Post
                      ...I guess it's just the fact that I love summer, I love swimming, and having a tan. (hey, I'm a chick, I'm vain, sue me! ) Winter sucks, to me, it's cold, you have little to no sunshine, and my tan goes bye-bye.
                      I can't blame you on the tan. I tan pretty easily. Just driving around here in the summer with the windows and the sunroof open will do it. Luckily, my dad's got some of the darker coloring (that's where I get the Irish from, his bunch came down through Dal Riada) so that I don't just burn like my mom. Yeah, yeah, I know. Skin cancer, looking older, et al. Considering I'm 38, still get carded, and I know exactly what all of my moles are doing, I'm not too worried.

Comment

Quoth crazylegs View Post
                        It may be worth checking the legislation re the parking issue as in the UK it is offence to block a driveway as long as there is a legal right to access the land by a vehicle.

I think thats anywhere, I have a large entry gate to my house, and it doesn't stop people from parking all along the front of it so I cant get out if I need to run to work when called.

In the states anyway.

Quoth SuperB View Post
                        I did once have a family have lunch in my front yard one time. My car was in the drive and it should have been obvious I was home but I just watched them and made sure they didn't leave any garbage behind.
                        For this area I'm sure the winter people (snow-play families mainly) are more annoying due to the fact that snow is a "destination" thing for Californians. Most people live their whole lives here and never have to deal with the stuff whereas summer activities are available everywhere. Winter people leave more garbage around than summer people, partly because they aren't used to the cold and are unwilling to get out and actually look for a can. Skiers not so much, they are more like the climbers we get. (I prefer the climbers)
                        I have seen snow once, in 2002, and it was only for an hour or so. Don't hate too much on the Californian's I would love to live in a climate where my summers werent 100 degree's every day for three months. I've got a relatively pale complexion, I don't tan, I burn. I even spent two weeks in maui and left whiter than I was going in. I would love to live somewhere that I didn't need to dress in skimpy clothing to feel comfy.
                        Last edited by Broomjockey; 02-19-2008, 01:14 AM. Reason: multi-quote plz
                        Girls do not exist on the intarweb.

Comment

My aunt, god bless her, when she was a newlywed and just moved into the house her husband built for her on farmland they got from his father, so this would be about ....1948-1950?

Anyway, she fired a shotgun in the general direction of some folks picking flowers across the street from her house. When they shouted why she did that, she yelled, "get off my land!" When the shouted they were only picking flowers, she aimed the gun at them and shouted back, "That's my land, those are my flowers, and this farm is not a park! Now get back into your car and go back to the city where you belong!"
                          My grandfather did not raise any fools, nor anyone who would suffer fools lightly.

She passed away recently, and is sorely missed.

Comment

I shoot at them. I am known to shoot at them. And I have signs that say that I will shoot you.

But it the summer/fall I have signs up that say you can pick all the plums you want, you just have to knock on the door and ask first. Last year had a guy not ask, ran him off for simply not asking. Next week he came back and asked. Like I could eat/store all those plums by myself......
                            ...how do used tampons attract thieves? ---Sleepwalker

Chickens are Asexual!

Comment

Quoth zzapp the witch View Post
                              I shoot at them. I am known to shoot at them. And I have signs that say that I will shoot you.
                              The Grand Galactic Inquisitor hears all and sees all.

Comment

Life's a beach

Try living anywhere near the beach in summer.
                                My parents’ anniversary sometimes fell on Memorial Day weekend. We would come home from our day out to find not only people parked in our driveway, but even on our lawn. My father would have to drop us off and go find a place to wait, on his anniversary, for up to 4 hours until one of the morons came back giving my father a place to park. in his own yard. just to be able to wait and yell at the other people as they show up to claim their cars. My father was a much better man than I, as all of those cars would need new tires and paint jobs (I was young, and I would have done it!)
                                The police were under orders not to ticket the “summer people” as the town wanted the influx of out-of-town cash. When we called to have them towed away, the police would have to "investigate" for at least 8-10 hours (or until the idiot came back) and then say that the property damage was not severe enough to file a criminal offence. Their solution was to file a small claims case.
                                After too many years of this, a stockade fence went up. We come home from a wonderful dinner, and the fence is removed from the posts. Two posts were ripped and hacked from the ground. Two SUVs and a sports car were parked on the remains of our flower beds. We had to watch my mother cry for hours over her "poor little flowers"
                                Seems some enterprising young fellows were getting $25 a car to find parking for the summer idiots, and our new, $2000 fence and a full springs’ worth of my mothers plantings was blocking $75 of their parking!
                                The kids who did all the damage got away with it, as the summer people didn’t know who they were, and the locals try to get as far away as possible on all the really bad weekends and holidays. We did go after the owners of the vehicles we found parked there, but the judge (same orders as the police) said the drivers had no way of knowing the kids did not have permission to let people park there. on our lawn. in the flower beds. through the busted fence. No "we are so sorry". No "how can we make this right". The final kick in the teeth was one of them told the judge that the town should put in more parking, since it was so obvious it was needed. Great. Let’s knock down someone’s home and put in a few more parking spaces so you can lie in the sun, by the water, for a few days a year.
                                To this day, I still hate going to the beach!
                                Last edited by upallnight; 03-01-2008, 02:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X