This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's NewEngland

Ok, this is not sucky by any means, but it just happened and boggled my mind. She was a very nice lady, from New Jersey. That bit is important. Toward the end of her order, we got to talking about our pets and then travelling. She asks if I have every been to New York, probably due to the rather thick New England accent I tend to fall into after a long day. I can sound as if I was born and raised in New York somedays.

I explain that I have yet to visit New York, and that much of my travelling has been north of where I live, that being Massachusetts. She asks, rather surprised, if that means I never been to Florida. Replied that this was true, most of my travel has been around Canada and New England.

Now, I can understand the following for people from other parts of the States, and from another country, but the northeastern part of the US is commonly referred to as New England. It includes New Hampshire, Vermont, Maine, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, and oft times New York and Pensylvannia. New Jersey very close state. Very close. Sometimes confused with part of New England-close.

The lady responds "Ohh thats nice. Where is New England? I've never heard of it. It sounds so boring."

New England consists of the states of Massachusetts, Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire, Connecticut & Rhode Island. New York, New Jersey & Pennsylvania are both too far south to be considered part of New England.
    That's what I've always been taught.

Comment

Yes, but for those not from around here (and a good # who are), anything that gets referred to as "the Northeast" on the Weather Channel is New England. So that usually snags NY and NJ, and sometimes PA.
      Any day you're looking down at the dirt instead of up at the dirt is a good day.

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
        NO WAY DUDE! Never doth New York and PA equal part of New England! BLASPHEME!!! (haha, just kidding)

I would have said, "Oh yes! It's VERY boring!" See, I live on Cape. Tourists are the bane of our existence.
        Believe me, I know the sentiment. Somedays it is a little insulting to be lumped in with New Yorkers . And I too live in a touristy area. No where near as heavily traveled as the Cape or the islands, but we get our fair share of Floridians in the summer...

Comment

Quoth Xieg View Post
          Believe me, I know the sentiment. Somedays it is a little insulting to be lumped in with New Yorkers . And I too live in a touristy area. No where near as heavily traveled as the Cape or the islands, but we get our fair share of Floridians in the summer...
          How about Floridiots? Those are the ones who will walk into a store, grab the first person with a somewhat thick Southern Dialect, and proclaim "I just LOVE your Tennessee twang~!"

Yeah, that's nice, let me go now.

Or even worse: What part of London are you from? You have such a lovely accent.

I'm southern-bred, Mum's a 7th gen Floridian, and I learn my english from a nice man on Canadian BBC. Your nails are digging into my arm, please let go before I turn into the dog I resemble and bite you.
          Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

Pennsylvania

I never thought of Pennsylvania as being a part of New England. Well I am from western Pennsylvania so that may be why I feel that way. Pennsylvania is/was coal mining country and steel plants.

The part of Pennsylvania I'm in is an odd mixture of the Midwest mixed in with some Appalachia with a dash of the Northeast.

Comment

Quoth hotelnpa View Post
              I never thought of Pennsylvania as being a part of New England. Well I am from western Pennsylvania so that may be why I feel that way. Pennsylvania is/was coal mining country and steel plants.

The part of Pennsylvania I'm in is an odd mixture of the Midwest mixed in with some Appalachia with a dash of the Northeast.
              I'm in Cincinnati, which alot of people don't realize is on the Kentucky/Indiana border. Therefore, our accents are midwestern with a little bit of Kentucky twang.

All of my NewEnglander and New York/New Jersey friends make fun of my accent.
              "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                NO WAY DUDE! Never doth New York and PA equal part of New England! BLASPHEME!!! (haha, just kidding)
                I'm with you. I've lived in NJ for all nearly 20 years of my life. I'd never, ever consider any of those three part of New England. It's the Tri-State Area.

That is really sad though that she's never heard of New England. Has she never heard of NEW ENGLAND clam chowder? I don't even like clam chowder and I know of it. Heck, I even know what color it is.
                "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Quoth mae View Post
                  I would have said, "Oh yes! It's VERY boring!" See, I live on Cape. Tourists are the bane of our existence.
                  Speaking of the cape, I once had a friend ask me why cape cod was referred to as just "the cape" when in fact there are two capes in Massachusetts, Cape Code and Cape Ann.
                  Just because a customer expects you to put some effort into your job, that does not make them an SC.

Comment

I would think New england ought to extend into Canada and include New Brunswick,Nova Scotia, and PEI.

Yeah, some people just don't know Geography. Living on Nantucket it's pretty much a fact.
                    Your neck is 7 and a half feet wide and 4 and a half feet tall. Your shoulders are also around 4 and a half feet wide. Your butt is 4 feet wide and your arms are around 3 feet long-gravekeeper

Comment

As I grew up in Connecticut, my dad (who was from New York) explained that New England was the part that was seperated from the rest of the US by New York: if you're in New England, you have to go through New York to visit someplace else (or leave the country).

New England tends to do some things regionally. For instance, in response to the crash of 1929 (and the way the failure of banks in New York caused the failure of other banks), every New England state passed laws probibiting banks that did business ouside New England from doing business inside New England.

Just the other day, out of the blue, a co-worker asked me "where's New England?" as he mopped the floor.

Comment

The title of this post reminded me of when I had someone transferring a call from another department. I had to create a profile

Me: Where is the caller located?
                        OA: Random City
                        Me: Ok what state is that in?
                        OA: New England
                        Me: that doesn't mean anything to me what state are they in?
                        OA: I told you they are in the state of New England
                        Me: New England isn't a state
                        OA: Well isn't that what NE stands for in the state abbreviation?
                        Me:

Comment

I think I just died a little inside.

Comment

Quoth Xieg View Post
                            The lady responds "Ohh thats nice. Where is New England? I've never heard of it. It sounds so boring."

She must of never heard of.... the New England Patriots then?
                            New England Patirots... FIVE TIME SUPER BOWL CHAMPS!
                            New England Revolution... Will win MLS Cup one day.

Comment

I have lived in New Jersey all my life (except for college and a year when I lived in Levittown, PA, which is the very first exit off the PA Turnpike when you are coming from NJ). The tri-state area to me is New York, New Jersey and Connecticut. (I'm in Central NJ and get New York City news stations.) I think we are technically in the Mid-Atlantic states (NY, NJ, Delaware, Maryland, PA...at least according to the travel-section shelving guidelines at Barnes & Noble

I'll admit I can't fill in every state name on the map, but I at least know in what general area of the country all the states are.
                              I don't go in for ancient wisdom
                              I don't believe just 'cause ideas are tenacious
                              It means that they're worthy - Tim Minchin, "White Wine in the Sun"

Comment

Working...
                              X