This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Are you blind?"

AHA! This had to happen five minutes before closing!

This woman was a right cow from the very second I started with her.
    When two (or more) people are together I always ask if all of the items they have are together, or if there are separate bills.
    You know, using that logic thing people are always talking about.
    Her response was, "TWO! And I don't know what goes on each bill!"

Oh, great, at 9:55pm with about five people behind you this is the best time to figure this out.

So I placed my finger on the top item on her cart (it was all small boxed furniture items - cabinets and the like) and said, "Well we'll start with this item and work with what is supposed to be on the bill with it."
    Seemed logical to me.

We get through the first order and she's none too pleased with the total, stating it was more than she expected. Keep note of this fact, there will be a quiz later.
    I allow her to inspect the receipt before I cash her out (holding up my line to placate her) and she concedes to the amount and pays.
    Then we start on bill #2, with only three items on this bill: a sink, a cabinet for the sink, and feet for the cabinet.
    Total: $219.22

SC: NO! It's supposed to be $289 BEFORE tax. You did something wrong!
    Me: I only rang in what you told me to.
    SC: Well you did something wrong!
    Me: (running on three hours of sleep and in my tenth hour of work for the day at my second job) How do you figure?
    SC: Well this is what I'm supposed to have *shows me a shopping list that contains both items from bill #1 and bill #2* and it's supposed to be $289 and it's $219!
    Me: And?
    SC: You did something wrong!
    Me: Let me just void this out, and in the meantime I'll ring through the next customer while I talk to the kitchens coworker. (I'm a master of multitasking)

I get a hold of the kitchens coworker and her answer is what I expected: She obviously has the wrong items.

KC = Kitchens coworker

Me: *totally siding with KC* Oh I know, but she's insisting that someone from kitchens gave her these items.
    KC: *laughing* Yeah, even though they're Self Serve items and she picked them up on her own.

Note: kitchens is upstairs in the showroom and nowhere NEAR where you would pick up your items.

KC: Is she buying a stainless steel sink?
    Me: One sec. *to SC* Is this a stainless steel sink? (everything is in boxes so I have no clue)
    SC: I don't care!
    Me: O... k... But is what you want to buy a stainless steel sink?
    SC: I told you I don't care!
    Me: ... *to KC* Yeeeah... I have no clue if what she has is what she wants, but she's insisting someone from kitchens gave her this stuff. I guess what she means by someone "giving" her the items is that they printed the shopping list for her.
    KC: Oh yeah, because she couldn't have picked up the wrong items.
    Me: No kidding. You know what, don't worry about it. I'll deal with her and if I have to I'll just call you back.

I turn back to my SC.

Me: I talked to KC and she said that it's likely you accidentally picked up the wrong items.
    I classically alter what's actually said by coworkers on the phone to better adhere to the situation. Hell, the customer doesn't know any better so F them.

SC: But the girl up there GAVE me these!
    Me: You're saying that someone from kitchens UPSTAIRS gave you these items that are only found DOWNSTAIRS in the Self Serve warehouse? (emphasis mine)
    SC: Are you BLIND? THIS *waving shopping list* is what I'm supposed to have and you're doing something wrong!
    Me: *laughs because this is classically hilarious and I just don't give a damn anymore* I'm not the one who is blind, since I'm not the one who picked up these items and told someone else to ring them through in a specific order.
    SC: Well then why is it only $219 when it's supposed to be $289?
    Me: My guess is either you picked up the wrong items or you separated your bills wrong, and accessories that were supposed to go with this one (bill #2) were actually on the other one (bill #1). Can I see your shopping list?
    SC thrusts her list at me. I don't take it from her.
    Me: Can I see it without you shoving it at me, please?
    SC slams it on the belt. Whatever. I check the items on the list with the items on both the first receipt and the voided second receipt.

Me: *AHA!* You picked up the wrong items.
    SC: REFUND EVERYTHING!
    Me: Certainly.

Now, remember when her first bill came to more than she expected?
    Well, more on one bill, plus less on another bill equals...?
    Anyone? Anyone?
    Bueller? Beuuuuuuller?
    Of course this is on top of the fact that she picked up a sink that is $50 less than the one she intended to buy.
    However, had she got the right sink, and rang through a couple of items from bill #1 on bill #2 she would be at *gasp* $289 before taxes!

I call over my SUP who was milling around the area doing closing tidy-up duties and he gladly refunds everything, no questions asked, as he 1) generally doesn't give a shit and just wants to go home, and 2) has probably heard at least a little bit of our conversation.

After I bring her cart back to Self Serve so they can put everything back on the shelves the SC is already long gone.

You know, people spend a LOT of time in my store, and I am very pleased that her acting like a rotten bitch resulted in her wasting hours of her own time with nothing to show for it.

Oh, as some unrelated, jet job related info, I got my T4 (tax form) and in the span of a whole year I made less than $9,000.
    And I make more than $2 above minimum wage AND I bust my ass with extra shifts constantly. Hardly seems worth it.
    It's a damn good thing I still live at home because otherwise I'd be screwed.
    Also, no wonder it has taken me months to put away a mere $1,700 for school (after bills and expenses like the $109/month I have to spend on a damn buss pass).

Ok, so $1,700 down, $4,900 (relatively) to go.
    Anyone wanna toss me a couple bucks?
    Last edited by rerant; 02-29-2008, 04:39 AM. Reason: I forget details sometimes. D'oh. :(

Her total was less than she anticipated on the second order? That's when I STFU and smile.
    I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
      generally doesn't give a shit and just wants to go home
      Who told you how I act from 8 to 5?
      I know nothing and I can prove it!

Comment

Quoth Jadedcarguy View Post
        Who told you how I act from 8 to 5?
        That's pretty much my whole attitude as well.
        Well, except at my other "job" which is at a food bank. Then I really do care.

Having someone my relative age (23) come in and say he hasn't eaten in two days and doesn't know where he's going to get food for tomorrow breaks my heart.
        But those stories are for another time/thread/board/what have you.

Comment

I think I'll go play the Daily Number & pick 289...lol. & IF I win...Woo Hoo!

Comment

I have nine bucks in my bank account you can borrow

You know that she realized it was wrong and wanted to blame it on someone else. What an idiot.
            Would you like a Stummies?

Comment

Better to blame someone else for the cost being less then expected then to admit you messed up.

Comment

Quoth rerant View Post
                Oh, as some unrelated, jet job related info, I got my T4 (tax form) and in the span of a whole year I made less than $9,000.
                And I make more than $2 above minimum wage AND I bust my ass with extra shifts constantly. Hardly seems worth it.

Anyone wanna toss me a couple bucks?
                Okay, Canadian dollar isn't that far off from US, right? So what is minimum wage in Toronto, 'cause I am like

I'd toss a couple, but I have a major-wussy throw I'll focus hard on the good vibe-thoughts
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                  Okay, Canadian dollar isn't that far off from US, right? So what is minimum wage in Toronto, 'cause I am like
                  These days it's at like $8 or $8.50, I can't remember which.
                  I always wonder how the people who don't live at home with their mom work my job and pay rent, bills, and feed themselves.

And it's not like we get paid poorly, either.

Comment

Working...
                  X