X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "Plant" is closing and...

...and I expect terrible things.

My town area is one of many homes of the now-dead Goodyear plants.

These people are being paid until October of their regular set hourly wages, already set up for unemployment benefits for at minimum six months (without the need to calle every week lest they get a job), have bought out the local used-car dealerships, and are buying houses left and right.

It sucks to lose a job, but I think they're getting a decent send-off, and I'm not mentioning the ones who left early or for another plant.

My reason for posting, is the day a few years ago, when they were striking for some odd reason. The strikers took odd jobs between their picketing, and many came to the pizza place I used to work at. Most were fired or just never put on the schedule again because the work was "beneath REAL work," and it was," for kids and lowlife adult who can't grow up."

Wha..

They all worked the barest minimum, complained that they were being made to work, tried to tell us that we all needed REAL jobs, how are we able to afford our P.O.S. cars, etc. and they were all the laziest most unhygenic co-workers I had ever had.

One such man left Goodyear and came to overnights at my current retail store as a stocker. He's an older man, who worked slow and talked long. Took extra breaks, because he "needs more cigarette time than this little store allowed," even though this was "just some ass job" that he had to tide him over moving.

Since it has closed, gas and food and medicine prices have gone down and I can afford to eat more than $1 meats and ramen every day. My mother is getting breaks from her very expensive medical bills that insurances will not help cover. Except for the negatives of lost jobs and such, I have only benefited.

So why am I so very pessimistic and ranty about this?

I don't want to work with more lazy EWs. I have enough of them now, and I'm tired of it

Don't feel bad. Where are these jackasses going to be when their unemployment runs out and there's no new plant to work at?
    Labor boards have info on local laws for free
    HR believes the first person in the door
    Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
    Document everything
    CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

The way I see it, one of two things will happen with these people:

1). They'll figure out they don't get to tell management how things are going to be. There's no union steward they can complain to if they feel they're being treated unfairly, and no union bosses who'll have their back no matter what because they want to tell all the employers they're set up in that they do not cave to management. They'll figure out that they will be evaluated as employees by their productivity and their attitude, that even retail is a "real job," and work to advance themselves or get more pay or hours, Or:

2). They'll keep up their shitty attitudes, corrupt the other employees with them, continue committing time theft by taking extra long breaks, and just generally be unproductive. They'll be the first ones to be let go if the store has to reduce headcount, assuming the other employees don't weed them out first. They'll bounce from one "ass job" to another, with stints on unemployment in between.
      Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
        They'll figure out that they will be evaluated as employees by their productivity and their attitude, that even retail is a "real job," and work to advance themselves or get more pay or hours,
        That reminded me.. such guy at current retail was told to cut his overtime on lunches (less than 45 minutes at the beginning of his week) and he INSISTED that it was illegal to make him cut it, even though he was hired part time

Comment

Quoth unholypet View Post
          My reason for posting, is the day a few years ago, when they were striking for some odd reason. The strikers took odd jobs between their picketing, and many came to the pizza place I used to work at. Most were fired or just never put on the schedule again because the work was "beneath REAL work," and it was," for kids and lowlife adult who can't grow up."

:
          Irv got most of it right EXCEPT

this is one thing you did miss----- they want to be paid like they still have the job at the factory ya know $25 an hour + full bennies + vacation + insurance + union

a few managers ago at my pizza place told us about one former factory worker who wanted a job at the local roast beef place (think brown hat). he DEMANDED $20 per hour. manger told him OK you are only going to be scheduled for ONE HOUR per week as that is all my labor budget can afford.

my next question is
          These people are being paid until October of their regular set hourly wages, already set up for unemployment benefits for at minimum six months (without the need to calle every week lest they get a job), have bought out the local used-car dealerships, and are buying houses left and right.
          WHY in all that is holy are these people buy this kind of large expensive stuff when that money is NOT going to last forever???? (retorical question) they have 4 months of regular pay and 6 month of UE bennies (at, in most cases/states, substantially lower "wages") and then throw in the Federal and state taxes and ...... well most of you know the rest

their world WILL come crashing down hard.
          I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
          -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
            \WHY in all that is holy are these people buy this kind of large expensive stuff when that money is NOT going to last forever????
            I have no idea. I drove by some of their houses today, and most of them have 3 - 7 cars in their yard, but the huge boats they own are for sale.

What???

Comment

I probably would have snapped if they'd talked smack about food service/retail not being "real jobs."

Toward the end of my stint in retail hell, when the light for my impending office job was building, I got pretty sensitive about it, and told off (politely) a few people for that kind of thing, and said how disrespectful it was for the people who work there.

My parents-- themselves the recipients of such a lecture-- have been careful to avoid calling what I do now (IT service desk work) a "real job" to avoid setting me off again.
              PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

That's one issue I've seen locally. We have a lot of higher-paid jobs that are no more and when you look at the application pool, you may have some experienced workers but they want 3X or more than what you're willing to pay. Sucks for both parties.
                A lion however, will only devour your corpse, whereas an SC is not sated until they have destroyed your soul. (Quote per infinitemonkies)

Comment

Working...
                X