X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm a jerk

This is long. Thanks if you read it.

This happened at my job. I want to start off with this: I'm not in the wrong for what I was thinking/feeling about myself and my job or what was driving those feelings, but I am wrong for AGAIN venting inappropriately.

So I'm on a temporary project. We do collections on overdue items past a certain age but a large portion of the job, as even my boss says, is more account management/cleaning up messes. That's the majority of what I've been doing because whatever accounts happen to be assigned to me are not simply that the customer isn't paying. They are things wherein I have to write off invoices for various reasons, not collect money on them. So even though that's understood by management, I'm still feeling like I'm not doing my job right if I'm not getting enough payments.

Now, there are a few reasons for that.

One is that, if you are familiar with the concept of spoonies, you will understand how in an 8-hour day you can only get about 6 hours of work out of me. It's because I'm a chronic pain sufferer. It keeps me up at night and then I'm sleep-deprived and then I get a migraine. My boss knows about it somewhat but isn't really aware of how often/much this affects me. He's a Normal; what does he know? lol, I get it. He really can't understand. Anyway, even though I'm doing my best, I've come out of inbound calls where every single second has to be accounted for so I feel bad that I don't do more. No, 6-hour days aren't an option for my team. I have to be full-time.

Another reason is that, as we were talking about in our end-of-week meeting, corporate is really focused on numbers, so much so that they are willing to reward us with hundreds of dollars in gift cards. Only the funds we actually you know, collect, hit our bottom line. Our stock has dropped dramatically. They are even willing to let us do overtime in 4th quarter which is almost unheard of. This is where I went wrong. I got irritated at the reward system because it represents to me that all the hard work I do, all the satisfied customers, mean nothing because I don't get the big dollars. I was verbal about it when I should have kept my mouth shut. I also was resistant to keeping track of overdue dollars collected as opposed to the total open amounts on contracts. I have 70 accounts right now. Subdividing information is not welcome. I usually go in with the goal to bring the account to zero more than collecting just what corp. wants. It's kind of a minor thing but I'm already stressed. My boss shushed me and glared at me.

Also earlier I teased him that we must be having a long meeting because we did something wrong. I did follow that with the thought that while I was half joking, I really do feel like in the spring we're all going to be laid off. I've seen quite a few departments get the ax in my 2 years here. They just let go the entire team of people who chat with you on our website. I don't feel very secure, you know?

Fast forward to the end of the day. I went to ask my old boss a question about time off and we got to talking about my new position. I found out from her a couple of things that made me feel really bad for my slight attitude:

1. It's no longer considered a temporary thing. It is permanent. I don't think I need to worry unless they let us all go and make us reapply like they did another department. But in talking to our Director I think I'll be fine.
    2. The managers had a meeting and were talking about how well we're doing on our project and my boss called me out specifically for "doing very well". After that I throw attitude toward him, and he's the best boss ever. I feel so bad. I felt 2 inches tall when she told me that. No wonder my new boss was shocked. I've been nothing but professional up until today.

I think I'm just so afraid my value will be reduced to numbers at some point. I spend all day cleaning up other employees' messes and customers' inability to follow directions and I'm good at it. I've picked up a lot of new information quickly. But it doesn't show in the dollar count. No one has come to me and said I'm not getting enough. I've gotten nothing but positive feedback. But I'm feeling insecure and it's coming out as negativity. One minute I feel like I could stay and the next I am looking at job ads on my phone. I'm so up and down with this company, have been since the beginning. Thing is, I LOVE resolving stuff for customers. There is a team that does that and they were just hiring and for whatever reason I didn't apply. They don't do actual collections. I'm kicking myself but I found a lot of job postings I'd be perfect for.

I'm just so all over the place. And I think I'm ungrateful.
    "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

While I haven't observed the way you act, regarding negativity, to me you sound like a normal person who has actual moods and isn't some robot. The people at your work seem overly sensitive... I feel like I'm more negative and nobody has ever complained. So I don't know, you spoke up once, that shouldn't be some kind of awful offense. You're doing your job well, I'd just keep doing that.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

If I've got it right from this and previous posts about the current tasking, you're cleaning up large volumes of red ink (legit and otherwise) from the corporate ledgers. Sure, you're doing it with a teaspoon, but it's actually happening faster than it is being created.
      Funds not collected, is revenue they can't report, which hurts the posted profits, which helps a company lose stock value and.... assorted unhappiness there.
      Clearing away those accounts, even by voiding the debt (legit or otherwise), erases part of the stain on the profits report, which, while not quite as good as getting the cash, improves the observed financial status of the company.

TLDR: Red ink = blood. You're fixing it, so they throw money at you. Keep it up.

Comment

Buzzard, yes, exactly. We had a meeting about that and I understand it. I think it's my own insecurity that is holding me back.
        "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Well, hey, that's what we're all here for. Vent away

And yeah, I agree with Buzzard. Write-offs can be just as valuable to the company (in the form of lower taxes paid, etc) as actual cash money coming in. You're doing what you can to help the company, and it seems you have a cool boss or two who have yer back. As for feeling bad about something you said before -- everybody does that. It seems yer bosses have yer back either way, and that's worth a lot where it really counts
          "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
          "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
          "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
          "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
          "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
          "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
          Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
          "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Self awareness is a good thing. Insecurities, we all have and deal with them (or not) in our own way.
            Personally, I'll take feeling that I'm performing under what I'm actually doing than the other way around. (which usually comes as a rude surprise in my experience) You're placing yourself a bit further under spec. Not great for self esteem, but great bounds better than "I'm top mover, I am ze BEST! I CAN DO NO WRONG!" and end up as what usually gets shared on this site.

You done good, stumble aside, so collect your cookie and go play.

Comment

Working...
            X