Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

You're recommending chocolate for a dog...?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth csquared View Post
    What makes chocolate dangerous for dogs is the caffeine.
    I thought it was the theobromine?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
    One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
    The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Educating myself on the differences between caffeine and theobromine, I see you are correct.
      Life is too short to not eat popcorn.
      Save the Ales!
      Toys for Tots at Rooster's Cafe

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
        I thought it was the theobromine?
        I confused that with thiotimoline.
        "I don't have to be petty. The Universe does that for me."

Comment

Quoth Ironclad Alibi View Post
          I confused that with thiotimoline.
          *That's* why I can't find the dog now!
          I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
          Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
          Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

This thread reminds me of my time at the Now Defunct Tea Store when we had people coming in and asking questions that were better suited to a health EXPERT.

Like, "My husband hasn't been able to urinate for two days now; what would you recommend?"

Because yeah, lady, that's JUST what he needs right now: MORE liquid in his system! What I would recommend is a quick trip to the ER. Like RIGHT NOW.

Or, "I have high blood pressure. What would you recommend for that?"

Again ... A VISIT TO YOUR DOCTOR. No matter what amazing ingredients are in our teas, they are not cure-alls.

We also sold European rock sugar. I'd get people asking "Is this okay for diabetics?" We were told to say yes. My SIL, who is an actual, you know, DOCTOR (with the degrees and everything) said, "Sugar is sugar." So my response was almost always, "Sir/madam, it is still sugar. You need to go from there. I am diabetic but am not a serious case -- I'm not on insulin -- so I do use a bit of it. But ... you need to know the recipient's actual situation." Some of my coworkers weren't happy about this -- presumably because I was costing the company money -- but fuck that.

Interestingly, the place I now work at is much more conscientious about what we tell our customers. The recipient of the gift has a nut allergy? Yes, we do have any number of chocolates without nuts in them BUT ... ALL of our products are made in the same facility, so we cannot say that anything is totally nut-free. So again ... how serious IS this allergy? (I've had some customers say "Oh, I bought some stuff here for her last year and she had no trouble" and that's good to hear. But ... if this is their first time here, they need to know exactly what the situation is with regard to the person they're buying for.) Ditto for gluten issues, lactose issues, and vegan issues (sugar might be made with bone char ... no, really).
            Customer service: More efficient than a Dementor's kiss
            ~ Mr Hero

Comment

Working...
            X