This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Like Son, Like Mother (Bunnies!)

My bunny escaped for several days, just like her son did just about a year ago.

The Son

The first time I actually use as a teaching tool for my philosophy/religion (Buddhism) as I argue Karma is not only when you're running late and all the rights turn red, but the whole golden rule deal.

There was this guy that was horrible to my family, as was his wife. When his wife died, in an attempt at empathy, I brought over one of the baby bunnies for him to hold or pet or bond with, knowing they always made me feel better. He wasn't interested. But I am still glad I did it, because guess who called me and told me he found my rabbit in his yard? (It wasn't the same one, but they all look similar.)

How did he escape in the first place? Well, I put his sisters and him in the outdoor pen, and watched as they tried (unsuccessfully) to climb out in-between the bars.

Turns out at least one of the bars was still big enough for them all to slip through. Two were found within five feet of the cage. The boy took off running, apparently. He was three houses down, past a construction zone. Eek!

I remember having a dream over and over again that was very inception-esque. I would find the boy, realize it was a dream, get up and go look for him, find him, realize THAT was a dream... ect.

The Mother

The Mother decided not to even bother trying to squeeze through the bars (which is good, she's a big bunny) and just tunneled out the bottom. She dug herself a rabbit hole, decided she didn't like it, then went two houses further than her son, and across the street.

Remembering the dreams I had with the son I actively avoided sleeping, or at least dreaming. Usually I remember most of my dreams, but I can't tell you if I dreamed about her more than once. (Similar dream too.)

I posted on the local association page to keep a lookout for that bunny in the photo who was missing an eye, and that helped. The people who found the mother wanted to keep her! Apparently their dogs made friends with her, and were grooming her.

The only worry is that she had too much fun and is now pregnant (again.) But she's getting fixed today, so that won't be an issue. (I think it's too soon to check if she is pregnant via x-ray, but I'm going to ask the vet anyway.)

moral of the story? I'm not using that damn cage anymore.

Cute bunnies!

Yeah, mine have made escape attempts, but luckily they are too busy eating to go far, and they are big enough that if they get loose in the back yard they can't get through the chain link fence; they average 8-12 lbs.

Teach them to come for cookies; then they'll come running when you shake the box!
    "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Quoth LillFilly View Post
      Teach them to come for cookies; then they'll come running when you shake the box!
      The mom--the only one I have now, I bonded and adopted out the son and father and the sisters--will come running if she hears a banana chip bag, but by the time I broke it out she was too far to hear it! I alerted the neighbors within a four house radius. I wasn't expecting her to go six and across the street.

Comment

Quoth Cooper View Post
        The mom--the only one I have now, I bonded and adopted out the son and father and the sisters--will come running if she hears a banana chip bag, but by the time I broke it out she was too far to hear it! I alerted the neighbors within a four house radius. I wasn't expecting her to go six and across the street.
        HERE'S how you do it Gingersnaps! That's a 3-YO 12-lb Silver Fox Buck there!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPalHrQ4M0I

PS. The mother is beautiful! Rex, right? I have one also, she didn't do well with her first littler, but became an excellent mom her 2nd; she just has a habit of dumping her food and water dishes over and trapping babies underneath, so we had to screw them to a wood platform.
        Last edited by LillFilly; 06-05-2014, 02:47 AM.
        "If anyone wants this old box containing the broken bits of my former faith in humanity, I'll take your best offer now. You may be able to salvage a few of em' for parts..... " - Quote by Argabarga

Comment

Yup, she's a rex. I'm surprised how well she did with what will now be her only litter. (It makes me a little sad, as I really wanted a litter that looked like her and not the father, but I also want her not to have cancer.) She was pretty much having a teenage pregnancy, while sick with E. Cunici (which got into her eye), and the babies were constantly escaping the cage, and one of them wasn't getting fed. Thankfully the mother trusted me enough that I could force her to feed the runt.

(The runt is the one to the back right in the main photo.)

Of course all the babies got treated for E. Cunici, and I tried to warn the people I got her from to check the mother and other babies for it, but they seemed to assume I was complaining to have an excuse to return and/or get a refund on the mother.

Comment

Wow. Mama Bunny is GORGEOUS!!

My BFF asked me once if I would keep a Lionhead bunny at my house as a Christmas present for her daughter. I had to remind her I had beagles. Beagles and bunnies don't mix, seeing as how the former was bred to hunt the latter and one of mine has gotten at least 3 rabbits that I know of. She wisely asked another friend to house the bunny until Christmas. He was a pretty bunny, too. All black and floofy.
            I am no longer of capable of the emotion you humans call “compassion”. Though I can feign it in exchange for an hourly wage. (Gravekeeper)

Comment

Quoth jedimaster91 View Post
              Wow. Mama Bunny is GORGEOUS!!

My BFF asked me once if I would keep a Lionhead bunny...
              Lionheads are adorable.

Just let the mother out of her cage for the first time since she got fixed. I was a bit worried she'd tear something the way she runs about, but she's been much calmer than usual. Still comes up to greet me when she knows I'm in her area. (Beyond the babygate.)

Comment

I've been lucky with my rabbits so far in terms of sickness. Our first few litters we lost to a fox and bloat, before I knew not to feed them treats so early. Another litter didn't make it because it was cold and mama bunny had them 4-days earlier than I expected, and I hadn't given her a nesting box yet.

The rex I'm trying to breed now seems to be having trouble. Her first pregnancy (she's about 2years old) she had one stillborn; this was her breeding with a silverfox/flemish-new zealand cross. We bred her again to a smaller buck (get this: We crossed a silver fox to a lionhead. We got fluffy black lion-head babies that are a medium size. We bred one of those females with the cross of a flemish giant/new zealand white cross to the same silver fox. That resulted in a flemish brown rabbit with big ears, but grey mane and skirt! This is the father this time) She's due today/tomorrow, but hasn't shown any nesting behavior in the last few days. I'm wondering if something might be wrong with her. She's a solid, healthy rabbit so I'm hoping for the best, but we can't really keep a rabbit that wont breed. But she's the sweetest thing, she will lick you to death every time you hold her.

Comment

she will lick you to death every time you hold her.
                  The mother is the same way. She'll also fall asleep in my arms. I was super lucky with that litter. They were a surprise (I'd been told the boy was fixed) but all three survived.

Even though the son escaped, then came back and, while trying to escape the cage not meant for babies (but I was too poor to get them a better cage, after this incident I saved up enough to do so) managed to get his leg stuck and lost blood flow to it for a while. The leg was safe, but man did he give me a heart attack.

The dwarf kept trying to escape before her eyes and ears were even open. Thankfully my cat knew not to eat her! So the dwarf spent a lot of time curled up against my neck and pillow to get some body heat back before I put her back in the nest.

Comment

she just has a habit of dumping her food and water dishes over and trapping babies underneath, so we had to screw them to a wood platform.
                    I hope that, by "them", you're referring ot the dishes and not the babies.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X