Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You should read some of the science fiction that Joe Haldeman writes. His characters are (usually) either Latino or Black -- which is also always implied. I only figured this out after reading several of his books in a row where he'd mention the ethnicity of one character in a book and never mention it in the rest of them, even if it's the same character.

Good author. You might like his work.
    Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth ebonyknight View Post

If the ethnic description were used more uniformly, it wouldn't be an issue. But (to me) it implies an underlying tone of racism. .
      I think he was just describing the guy. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a racist. Political correctness is way out of control, on this board and everywhere. "Oh, you said that guy's Indian. What are you, A RACIST??" Gimme a break!

Comment

Quoth Billy_Bam_Wam View Post
        I think he was just describing the guy. That doesn't necessarily mean he's a racist. Political correctness is way out of control, on this board and everywhere.
        Then don't come here.

Banned.

Rapscallion
        Last edited by Rapscallion; 06-03-2008, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I dunno. I immediately assume anyone in any story is white, unless otherwise specified, simply because it's pretty much my only frame of reference. I don't want to be presumptuous, but I would assume that's normal for non-white ethnicities to do as well. Assume that the players in any particular story are the same ethnicity as they are, barring any descriptors to the contrary, I mean. Not that they would assume they're white.

I've heard non-white coworkers refer to people as Random White Guy also, so, whatever.

I'll leave off without quoting Avenue Q.

Comment

I see we've had that little problem with the disappearing report button again. Apparently, it isn't showing up on some of the members' screens.

That's what it looks like, for those who are not aware.

As a mod, Barefootgirl had every right to point out the problem with the mention of race, and if people were upset by that, or felt it was done in an inappropriate manner, then they were free to follow the clearly posted rules of this site
            Quoth Rapscallion View Post
            2. Disputes against staff
            This forum operates with a clear chain of command, and it shall be used for any member disputes against the board staff. Challenging a Customers Suck! moderator or administrator on the public forum is regarded as the poorest of personal and professional courtesy, and will not be tolerated. If you feel that a mod or admin has treated you unfairly or is behaving in an inappropriate manner, contact Rapscallion and discuss it with him.
            OR use the report button.

Once more, that's what it looks like, in case it's not clear.

So, to recap, this whole thread got majorly out of hand because people chose to argue within the thread on the board, against the point that was made by a site moderator, instead of using the report button.

Again, that's what it looks like, folks.
            Let's try using it once in a while, shall we?

What I find most interesting is that a mod has been criticized for blowing the race issue all out of proportion, yet she was simply doing her job and attempting to moderate a thread, and it was others who ended up escalating the issue by breaking forum protocol and openly questioning her in the thread, jumping on her and accusing her of attacking a member, rather than reporting the post with their concerns.

Out of curiosity, I just checked the moderator's reported posts forum, and did a search using the word "race". On the first page alone, there are at least 5 reported posts where a member took exception to the description of a person using race.
            In light of that, why would anyone possibly jump all over a mod for simply trying to head off a potential problem, which, experience has taught us, could occur?
            Last edited by Ree; 06-04-2008, 04:05 AM.
            Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Quoth Evil Queen View Post
              there are a lot of retail stores that run out of change.
              Like ME. Man, this little kidlet came in today and paid me four bucks in dimes and nickels for his toys. I almost kissed the kid.

Banned.

Rapscallion
              I was WONDERING what the strike-through meant! Seen it a couple times but had no earthly clue as to what it signified.

[Mental Note: Do NOT make the Raps angry. No.]

Quoth ebonyknight View Post
              People don't normally say that I saw this "white guy yesterday", when race has nothing to do with the conversation.
              I don't say "white guy" I say "white DUDE".

All the difference in the world.

Oh, oh! I KNOW I KNOW! Coin-Guy didn't like COINS! Can I have your coins, Coin-Guy?
              (I'm currently very happy, I just picked up a 1935 Mercury Dime and a 2003 Malaysian 1 Sen coin, so I'm a little coin-happy right now)
              Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

I've had a communication or two from people about the banning in this thread. I usually don't do such in public, nor do I usually explain myself in public. What I will say is that the person in question is someone on low post count and their posts are (were) moderated. There are posts that are invisible and I have no intention of making them public - I debated long and hard about making the one that I did visible.

I've got no problem discussing things with people in a reasonable manner, but if someone registers on the site and within a day or two describes the moderating team as the PC police etc, then you start to realise that this is very unlikely to be a one-off. People usually start as they mean to go on.

If a customer came into your workplace and immediately took a dump on your floor, you wouldn't let them come in time and again (unless you had a spineless manager with a poo fetish).

As I said, I'm quite willing to discuss things, but a discussion involves two people talking and listening, not one party making mudballs and eyeing up targets.

Rapscallion

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                  I debated over posting this, but as I really want to know I figure I have to ask, it's the best way to learn. Why is using a race to describe someone seen as a bad thing? I think my confusion lies in the fact that if I described a desk, I would call it a brown, wooden desk. It simply is wooden. If I said something like all wooden desks are ugly, then I would be making a prejudiced remark. Wouldn't I?
                  I agree, but people tend to be really worried about offending people. So long as you're not being rude about describing them a certain way, I believe it's fine. And as the OP said, he wasn't calling the guy Cranky Indian, but Cranky guy who happens to be Indian. And I believe that's a fine distinction to make.
                  "Have muck knowledge, but no certainties. Live. I am sorry, Sorianna." -Gverion

Check out my DeviantArt Site
                  Or my Webcomic!

Comment

If a customer came into your workplace and immediately took a dump on your floor, you wouldn't let them come in time and again (unless you had a spineless manager with a poo fetish).
                    Hey, Raps, does this mean I get to ban the woman who let her kid pee on the carpet of my store and then laughed about it? Because I'd really really like to. Granted, it was quite a while ago and sadly I have no memory as to what she looks like (well, actually, I do, but everyone looks the same to me....).
                    Now a member of that alien race called Management.

Yeah, you see that right. Pink. Harness.

Comment

This thread came off the rails within the first few posts.

Nobody is staying on topic, which is to discuss the suckiness of the customer.
                      It has turned into a fratching thread, and one already exists, so I don't really see the point of keeping this one going.
                      Too tired of living and too tired to end it. What a conundrum.

Comment

Working...
                      X