X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is a new one for collection calls

[background]
    for the last 18 months or so my GF's land line was being phone bombed with collection calls for 2 different persons. Both have the same LAST name as her but very different first name/middle initial.

One company called up to 10 times a day but would only leave a message once every 3 or 4 months. They also sent 2 or 3 letters to OUR address addressed to this other person (returned to sender as the addressee was unknown to us) That finally stopped when we decided to actually answer and tell them to quit calling.

The second one has been intermittent. the company only calls maybe every 2 or 3 months so not really that annoying. have not received a call for 2d person in a good while now.

[end background]

Concerning the 2d person/company. We figure this guy has some kind of debt maybe student loans or something.

Today we got 2 calls early in the morning. one at 8:15am and the next at 8:30am (caller ID time). As Saturday is only one of 3 days I can actually sleep in in the morning so when the phone rang it barely registered when the land line rang and someone actually left a message. (99% of all calls that come in to our landline are either scam calls, charity calls, survey calls or misplaced skip-trace collection calls. Neither of us has ANY outstanding debt much less anything that would be in collections).

Later when I got up I listened to the messages. The called ID indicated (after I looked up the incoming number) calls made from a Verizion cellphone from the Indianalopis, Indiana area. both were text-to-landline messages. Both were intended for the 2d person mentioned above.

The first message said something to the effect that <2d person> did not have a job for the past two years but was supposed to be a forklift operator something something.

The second message was a little more "strange". same thing about the job, not paying something and (here is the strange part) he was a woman-beater and not paying something and being a deadbeat.

WAHT the HELL is this????? IF this is a collection call WTF????

anyone else have this happen??????
    I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
    -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

No, but that sounds like criminal behavior. I am really tired right now so I forget who you can report this too. I also remember something about you being able to sue the collection agency and have harassment charges brought against them.

I knew a guy in the Army Reserves who worked as a collections agent (guy was an a**h***, but honest in doing his civilian job), that was his advice. But it was many years ago, and I do not recall all of the step you need to take.
    I might be crazy, but I'm not Insane.

What? You don't play with flamethrowers on the weekends? You are strange.

Comment

Dishonest bill collectors will make all kinds of accusations in order to get friends and relatives to cough up current contact information. One BC trying to find me (not that I was hiding but I had recently moved) called my mother and told Mom he was an attorney (false) and could have me arrested (also false). Mom held firm and didn't give my new number to him, but she did get his and pass it on to me.

I called and ripped him a new one. Told him I was reporting him to the FTC. That shut him up. He never called again (I didn't pay the bill either; I did end up paying it later when it went to another company).
      They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Collection calls outside the 9:00AM to 9:00PM are illegal. Find a consumer laywer as you have a strong case under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
        I'm trying to see things from your point of view, but I can't get my head that far up my keister!

Who is John Galt?
        -Ayn Rand, Atlas Shrugged

Comment

Quoth taxguykarl View Post
          Collection calls outside the 9:00AM to 9:00PM are illegal. Find a consumer laywer as you have a strong case under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act.
          Also go online and file a complaint with the FTC. If they should go as far as making physical threats, contact your local law enforcement agency and make a report (communicating of threats is illegal.)

I've had these scumbags calling for some time last year and some of their threats were laughable, to say the least. A few of them were reported to the FTC for commiting any of the following antics:

1) calling my cell phone at 7:30 am on a Saturday telling me me or my attorney of record must call them within 24 hours to resolve this matter or good luck with whatever happens. Caller was ID'd from CA - so this call was made around 3:30 am. their time.

2) impersonating a law enforcement official. Had not one, not 2 but a total of 12 calls from this other number (also from CA according to 800notes.com) that slammed my landline with calls. When I did answer, they claimed to be from the California Attorney Generals' office and were threatening to have me arrested within 4 hours if I didn't pay off a loan that was through some company I'd not even heard of. Refused to answer any of my questions regarding their contact information, request for written information to be sent regarding the matter. Even funnier was this pathetic creature told me he'd have cops at my door in 4 hours to take me downtown and to the courthouse and I'd have to appear in front of a judge the next morning.

He backpedaled when I told him I didn't know how they did things in CA but in NC courts are closed on Saturdays (these calls were coming on a Friday night after 7pm IIRC) and then told me he'd have cops at my door.

So I asked him if how did he think that was possible? It's at least a 6 hour flight from CA to NC. What's he going to do? Put the cops on a plane and fly them all the way here?arrr

3) another one claimed to be an attorney who also made threats of arrest if I didn't fork over a credit or debit card and pay almost 3000 for some supposed 200 loan that was taken out (again from a company I never heard of.) Refused to provide me with a mailing address, phone number to contact them back at or send written letter detailing the supposed debt. Got upset when I laughed at him over the phone and told him to try harder next time to scam someone and hung up.

But if it sounds fishy, ask questions. Those scammers hate questions. Get their name, company name, contact number and physical mailing address for the company they work for. Request written information be sent to the address they have on file and don't verify any information they ask for. Scammers hate it when they are stood up to.
          Human Resources - the adult version of "I'm telling Mom." - Agent Anthony "Tony" DiNozzo (NCIS)

Comment

I had one call me (for a legit debt, school loan) that tried to insist that they were not required to switch to snail mail only upon request. A few weeks (and not altogether TOO many calls later), I reiterated my "mail only" request and they said "Sure thing!"
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

IANAL but I had to deal with collection agencies a few years ago when I got bogged down with debt. When a collection agency calls you for the first time, BY LAW they have five days to send you a written letter informing you of your rights (if they haven't already).

Also, if you don't want a collection agency to call you, you have to send them a WRITTEN 'cease and desist' letter. Always send it certified mail with return receipt requested. That way if they continue to call you, you have proof that they violated your rights.

This I know because I won a couple lawsuits against collection agencies for being naughty. Not only did it clear one of my bad debts but it was a nice down payment on a new car

Comment

Since I posted the OP, I qweried several family members about the 2d person.

They did concede that these "calls" might be from some former girlfriend or wife and this guy did have a bit of history as an abuser and loser and deadbeat. So my original premise about a collection agency is possibly wrong.

I now wonder HOW in the FUCK did they get my GFs number?????
                I'm lost without a paddle and headed up SH*T creek.
                -- Life Sucks Then You Die.

"I'll believe corp. are people when Texas executes one."

Comment

drj - Ahh, thank you for the clarification
                  "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                  "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                  "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                  "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                  "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                  "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                  Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                  "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth Racket_Man View Post
                    Since I posted the OP, I qweried several family members about the 2d person.

They did concede that these "calls" might be from some former girlfriend or wife and this guy did have a bit of history as an abuser and loser and deadbeat. So my original premise about a collection agency is possibly wrong.

I now wonder HOW in the FUCK did they get my GFs number?????
                    Reverse white pages possibly, or social engineering mutual friends.

But it still might have been a bill collector given many are guilty of that kind of behavior.

A few months ago I got a collection call for a bill that belonged to my ex-husband's current wife (I've never met her). The collector had somehow gotten my name in connection with my ex. I explained that the ex and I are now divorced, I don't know this woman, I'm not responsible for either of their bills, and I have no idea how to contact them as I broke off all contact with the ex when we divorced 15 years ago, and please don't call me again as I cannot help you (and wouldn't even if I could--not that I think my ex shouldn't pay his bills but it's not my job to do the collection agencies work for them).
                    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Working...
                    X