This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Suggestion request - new home!

Hubby and I are in the process of having a house built for my in-laws. FIL and MIL are 93 and 88 respectively, and have requested that we take care of all specifics and color/pattern choices as they'll "Be happy with whatever you chose, just as long as it has central heat and air conditioning, and is a ranch style."

We've pretty much decided on all the main construction (wider doors to accomodate a wheelchair, if God forbid, one ends up needing one, dual-flush toilets in the bathrooms (they're on a septic system now rather than sewer,) walk in showers instead of bath-tubs, hand rails, lowered cabinets they can reach, hot running water taps outside, etc, etc.

What we're now focusing on is incidentials and decorating - They're very laid back easygoing people, and like things to be practical and efficient. We've picked out a dual dishwasher so they can easily transfer dishes from the top to bottom (take clean out, use it, put dirty in bottom,) pull-out pot racks so Mom doesn't have to stoop, lazy susans in the pantry, etc.

So give me the things you love most about your house, or that you would love to have if you had the choice to build new. Decorating ideas are also welcome!
    The large print giveth, and the small print taketh away.

One thing I love about my house- lots and LOTS of counter space in the kitchen (something like 14 linear feet), that just happens to be at just the right height for me. One thing I'd do differently than I have is MORE DRAWERS. One stack of 4 is just not enough.

In my opinion, decoration-wise, less is better. One or two well framed pictures on most walls, items with sentimental value appropriately displayed, and not much else to collect dust. I like to use throw pillows as color accents.

If they like to read, one or two sturdy built in bookshelves would probably be appreciated.
    You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

Here's a personal preference bit in regards to bathrooms, especially bathrooms with walk in showers. I like to have a small curb into the bathroom and have the full floor capable of drainage.

The bathroom at the shop might have gone a hair too far, I waterproofed everything, walls included, and then added in a small cabinet with an electric pressure washer(real small one, like $60-80 version). Doesn't matter what sort of a mess the guys make, it's cleanable.

Comment

One suggestion regarding the walk in showers: consider walk in tubs instead. Or at least one tub in the house. Eventually, you're going to need to sell the house, and a complete lack of bathtubs could be problematic. Also, sometimes people just want to soak in a bath, and not having anything available could annoy them at some point.
        At the conclusion of an Irish wedding, the priest said "Everybody please hug the person who has made your life worth living. The bartender was nearly crushed to death.

Comment

Second on the walk in bath tub. Hm - my dad had a grab rail installed in both the upstairs and downstairs hallways along one wall - sometimes he got a little unsteady and needed to grab something, and sometimes he needed a walker and just wanted to go to the bathroom without needing to grab a cane or walker.

Sinks and counters you can sit at, chair or wheelchair - sometimes you just need to sit! Standing to work at a kitchen counter can be tiresome and being able to cook while sitting is worth it.

Furniture - are they bringing their own or are you providing? If you are providing FURNITURE HEIGHT!!!!!!!!!!!! I can not emphasize enough how much of a freaking pain in the ass it is trying to stand up from sitting in furniture [sofa, chair, whatever] that is too low without something to haul oneself up and out. There are chairs and beds at my moms house I can not use without someone to haul my sorry ass up. Think of trying to stand up off the floor without assistance, now try doing it with bad hips and knees.
          EVE Online: 99% of the time you sit around waiting for something to happen, but that 1% of action is what hooks people like crack, you don't get interviewed by the BBC for a WoW raid.

Comment

A friend of mine in a wheelchair has a custom built house. Heavy bottom drawers to hold things like glasses and dishes would be nice, that slide out on rails for stability. No baseboard for the cupboard under the sink, and have it so the bottom is flush with the floor, so instead of storing things in there they can open the doors and wheel in there to have access to the sink sitting down for things like washing dishes or filling pots and pans. A pole with a study chain attached to a handle right next to the toilet so they have a way to lift themselves out of the chair onto the seat when using the bathroom.

Comment

I currently live in a crap hole, and all the things I really miss/wish were different are:

Having a central vac opening in the kitchen and baths to sweep into

Having at least two (separate) base cabinets in the bath, so I can cover the inside of one with marine grade clear coat and store the toilet brush, plunger and toilet cleaning gloves separate from the extra toilet paper and toothbrushes etc. I currently have to store my toilet accessories in the garage.

Having a light fixture in the ceiling above the open to the second floor foyer is stupid, I need a 16' step ladder to change the light bulbs

Having a dimmer switch on the bedroom lights so one person can get up and get dressed without blaring the lights at the person sleeping

Having a separate shut off for the hot and cold for each sink/appliance. Having to shut off water to the whole house to replace a toilet is inconvenient at best.

Having 2nd floor windows that slide open scares me that my kid could careen into a screen and pop out (he's go-ey) I would like ones that crank open or swing open

Some of the wall paint here is matte, I can't wipe the walls, any moisture or cleaner leaves a mark forever, I can only use a dry cloth and elbow grease to try to clean. Paint with some shine in it for everything, forget how it looks.

If I was building new I would put outlets in the kitchen island, so I could use the blender/whatever there instead of on the wall, and so I could plug in my laptop if I was sitting at the bar using it.
              Pain and suffering are inevitable...misery is optional.

Comment

Bedroom needs to be large enough to easily fit a commode, as well as their shared bed and their bedside tables and wardrobes and whatnot.

As you said, all doors wheelchair-wide. No lips or curbs in the house except ones which are wheelchair-friendly. The ability to sit (in or out of wheelchair) when doing any tasks.

Light switches at a height that's both standing and wheelchair friendly. GOOD lighting outside and inside the house.

Wheelchair ramp as well as stairs if you need to get up from ground level. Sturdy grab rails along the ramp and the stairs.

Make the towel rail a grab rail. (Basically, make it out of the same quality metal as grab rails, and use the same attachments to connect it to the house.)

Use colours and designs inspired by what they choose to wear. I'm not saying use the exact shades and patterns; but if they like to wear plaids and tartans, use a plaid trim on the curtains and plaid accent cushions, maybe a plaid lampshade.
                Or if she likes florals and he likes stripes, maybe put florals in a room she's more likely to spend a lot of time in, and stripes in his favourite room. In shared spaces, see if you can find a good compromise: despite the 'rule' about never mixing patterns, you see quilters do it all the time. I think there are two key rules: one is to keep the colour harmonious, the other is to use one pattern as an accent to the other. For instance, in an otherwise floral room, you can stick subtle stripes along a picture rail or dado rail, or in picture frames, or along the cornices or skirting boards without a problem. Striped piping in upholstry or soft furnishings can also be effective. With more risk, you can use a striped curtain tie, pelmet or curtain trim, or even all of the above. Match that with the same fabrics in cushions or bolsters.
                Seshat's self-help guide:
                1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

I'm kind of skeptical about walk-in tubs; they're probably designed with large drain grates, but if the pipe clogs and you aren't able to drain the tub, you also won't be able to open it.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
                    Make the towel rail a grab rail. (Basically, make it out of the same quality metal as grab rails, and use the same attachments to connect it to the house.)
                    Easy way: just get a grab rail, and mount it as a towel rail.

Get an adjustable-height showerhead, and make sure the rail it slides on is rated as a grab bar (if someone slips in the shower, they'll grab anything within reach). Can't find my "notes" card index (got moved during a cleanup), but the TA in Harborcreek PA has such a device in their shower cubicles - you might want to call them to find out who makes it.

How about windows that swing inward instead of outward? My mother got these on her house - easy access for cleaning, and no "sail area" to get caught in the wind and forced further open.
                    Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

After a fall/winter watching my buddy trying to persuade his mother (93) to let the aide shower her...

Radiant heat under the tub/shower & shower walls. I'd build it in layers: framing/joists, insulation, heating pipes embedded in ???, tiles or tub bottom. A small on-demand water heater and a circulating pump on a timer that could be started 15-30 minutes before ablutionary worship..

My mother called the bathrooms at the farmhouse in Benson Upper and Lower Slobbovia [/Al Capp] because they were on the north side, long an narrow with the heat vents by the door, far from the tubs.

Quoth TheSHAD0W View Post
                      ... aren't able to drain the tub...
                      Buckets, teaspoons, colanders...
                      I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                      Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                      Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Quoth dalesys View Post
                        colanders...
                        I would pay for video of you trying to bail water out of...well, anything really, with a colander.
                        You're only delaying the inevitable, you run at your own expense. The repo man gets paid to chase you. ~Argabarga

Comment

A better option than a tub you can sit up in would be a chair made of plastic and metal in a shower stall with a handle that aids in getting in and out.

Comment

There's a vast comfort difference between a shower chair and a bathtub. Floating in warm water is one of the few things which can truly alleviate my pain for any extended period of time; a shower, in a shower chair or not, does nothing like that at all.

As for the grab rail/height adjustable shower head, I have one of those. All it takes is a larger than normal bracket for the height adjustable shower head, and a grab rail mounted vertically. Any handyman who frequently works with occupational therapists or assistive technology stores will have mounted sixty kazillion of them. (Yes, kazillion is a number. I so decree it.)
                            Seshat's self-help guide:
                            1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
                            2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
                            3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
                            4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Working...
                            X