This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TV Dead :(

Got home from work today, aware that a pretty mean thunderstorm had blown through while I was out. Get upstairs and go to turn on my TV?

Nothing. When I turned on the fan in my room, it went straight into MAX POWER mode, something it only does if there's been a power outage. Everything else electronic in my room that was plugged into the wall still functions, just not the TV.

I unplugged it from the power-strip, unplugged everything from the back of it, and left it unplugged for 15 minutes. Even held down the power button to discharge any lingering electricity in the thing. Plugged it back in, nothing. Tried a different socket on the power-strip, and two separate wall sockets, one outside of the room.

Nope. TV is borked.

Guess I'll be going to Yellow Tag this weekend to get a new one...
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

It gave its life for its comrades...
    I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
    Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
    Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Maybe you could live without it. I rarely watch tv since I've gotten a new computer and discovered youtube.
      "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

That sucks.

Still, it could be the fuse on and/or the PSU and once that's replaced the tv itself should be fine.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1722039580.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.8 KB
ID:	2030456
        (Borrowed from ShopJimmy)

I work in TV & appliance. PM me if you're interested at all.
        πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

Quoth Jammer View Post
          Still, it could be the fuse on and/or the PSU
          Popped in to say exactly this. We're so used to being a throw-away society that we occasionally forget that some things CAN be fixed. I have a vacuum and two tvs right now that cost me two minutes of lifting from the curb and ten dollars over all to repair. Got nothing to lose by checking the specs.

TVs ARE VERY DANGEROUS to poke around inside though, so have a clear idea of what's going on before you attempt anything.

Comment

@Jammer, sms001
            It's precisely because of the dangers of poking around in the TV that I'm not going to do it.

I moved the TV out into the hall last night, along with its power cord (disconnected from the back too) and whatnot. It'll have been unplugged for most of a day by the time I get home.

If it's still borked, then I'll just replace it.

@Food Lady
            I play video games on Xbox 360 and PS4. I kind of need a TV for those, and no, I'm not just going to buy a capture device and plug them into my computer, given that it's a laptop, and that might be too much for it to handle.
            PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Are modern flatscreen TVs dangerous? I thought the danger was the high voltage residue in capacitors for the picture tube.

Comment

Exactly true Mikkel, so I only said dangerous, not "deadly dangerous." Still, you never know what surprises may lurk inside electronics, so safety first.

Jay, call around and see what your local electronics shop charge for a bench fee. It's usually pretty low. It applies toward the repair bill, or, they will often (but not always) dispose of it for you should you decide to forgo the actual repair.

Comment

Quoth sms001 View Post
                  Still, you never know what surprises may lurk inside electronics, so safety first.
                  My mom's craft/sewing/laundry room is an enclosed garage. Her old computer resided there, and for some reason she never shut it off. (I don't know; it had some sort of weird issue). One day she sat down and started typing and dozens of tiny baby spiders poured out of the keyboard.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                    My mom's craft/sewing/laundry room is an enclosed garage. Her old computer resided there, and for some reason she never shut it off. (I don't know; it had some sort of weird issue). One day she sat down and started typing and dozens of tiny baby spiders poured out of the keyboard.
                    Sounds like there were some bugs in her system.

I'll second sms's idea on looking for a local shop to check it out before laying out for a new one before you're ready.
                    πϱ -- The Greek Society you've been burning to join!

Comment

That sound you just heard was me screaming my brains out.
                      When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

EEEEEEWWWWW!!!!!!

I'm not arachnophobic, but an incident like that might well change that.
                        "Crazy may always be open for business, but on the full moon, it has buy one get one free specials." - WishfulSpirit

"Sometimes customers remind me of zombies, but I'm pretty sure that zombies are smarter." - MelindaJoy77

Comment

Working...
                        X