X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth MoonCat View Post
    This:

http://freehomedecorhdimages.tk/kitchen-magician/

You'd have to go to Etsy or eBay to find one but they work great. We had one when they first came out in the 70's and used it constantly. I recently found one on eBay. Love that thing!
    Check for Mouli. It's pretty much the same thing, but horizontal instead of vertical.

Comment

Quoth greek_jester View Post
      Mushrooms. While I adore the flavour, the feel of them squeaking against my teeth as I bite into them can and has made me throw up.
      This amuses me, because the squeaking between my teeth is part of the reason I love them. But my sisters would completely agree with you.
      "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"
      - Gilgamesh, Final Fantasy V

Comment

Bitter melon. I thought it was celery and picked it up for my lunch while working at a buffet restaurant, but I was so wrong.

Also, Campbell's vegetable soup. Yuck! There was just something in it that made a can of it taste sour.

But now I stick with Campbell's Cream of Mushroom Soup. Yum!
        cindybubbles (👧 ❤️ 🎂 )

Enter Cindyland here!

Comment

Tip for onions. The fully eye encasing, safety goggles. Work wonders. I used to use the pair I had for my chemistry class or a spare pair of swim goggles. Lately, since it's been years since I've had either, I've been using my motorcycle helmet but that's a bit bulky for you. XD

I despise, hate, LOATHE, Peas....

Comment

Quoth HiddenMica View Post
            Tip for onions. The fully eye encasing, safety goggles. Work wonders. I used to use the pair I had for my chemistry class or a spare pair of swim goggles.
            This. I worked in restaurants for over 18 years, and -lucky me-I'm severely reactive to onions. As in, my eyes swell completely shut. I used to just tough it out and learned to be great with a knife with zero vision...until I found out about the swim goggle trick. Yeah, I looked silly, but I could see!
            "She didn't observe the cardinal rule: Don't F**K with people who handle your food"
            -Ryan Reynolds in 'Waiting'

Comment

I get a major reaction to onions as well...for some reason I always get asked to chop them up. The holidays at my aunt's are the worst for that, she makes a gazillion pierogi and chops a buttload of onions for the toppings (dad and I aren't sure why she doesn't buy the pre-chopped onions; she can still cook them, it's less hassle for her and less me trying to convince her I would be more useful doing something else).
              "I am quite confident that I do exist."
              "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

There are very few "mainstream" foods I don't like, but I have a few. Brussels sprouts and asparagus aren't allowed in my home. My parents learned early that I'd rather go without dinner than eat those (since I gobbled up pretty much every other veggie they didn't fight with me about those). I also don't care for pears but I don't mind if Hubby wants to buy some for him to eat.
                "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

Quoth WishfulSpirit View Post
                  I also don't care for pears but I don't mind if Hubby wants to buy some for him to eat.
                  I don't hate fresh pears, but I do much prefer canned myself. Something about the texture, I think.
                  "Enough expository banter. It's time we fight like men. And ladies. And ladies who dress like men. For Gilgamesh...IT'S MORPHING TIME!"

Comment

Back to onions: we started buying frozen diced onions. For some reason Hubby is having a reaction to chopping fresh ones (never happened before). Plus he wants to do the cooking but can't stand for very long, so te frozen ones cut down on prep time.
                    "I try to be curious about everything, even things that don't interest me." -Alex Trebek

Comment

If you still want to give fresh a try, a mandolin slicer with the right parts could work well. Ours has a dicing blade, where short vertical blades dice whatever you're slicing with it. Useful for doing a bunch of onions really quickly.

Comment

Quoth Kogarashi View Post
                        If you still want to give fresh a try, a mandolin slicer with the right parts could work well. Ours has a dicing blade, where short vertical blades dice whatever you're slicing with it. Useful for doing a bunch of onions really quickly.
                        It's mostly his eyes reacting, though the slicer is a good idea (we do have one). Usually his response to onions is a bit of a sting. Recently he's been tearing up so much that he can't see what he's doing. Given his hand tremors are getting worse due to his spinal issues, he may have to surrender knife duty altogether soon, lest he chop a finger off.

Comment

Quoth bainsidhe View Post
                          Not a fan of avocados and their....ushiness. I know they're healthy and all but yuck.

And can we talk about flavors? Green peppers are my enemy.
                          I'm telling you, I'm seriously ready for the avocado fad to be done with. I was in some chain burger restaurant the other day. They had a menu with sixteen burgers. Eight had avocado in some form. It's not that I hate avocados, but chain restaurants hop on these food trend bandwagons, and suddenly they're shoveling pounds of this stuff into EVERYTHING.

A few years ago it was cilantro. You couldn't order a tuna sandwich and diet coke without cilantro showing up somewhere. I don't hate cilantro, either, but there should be less cilantro than, say, lettuce.

It just makes me wonder what vegetable they're going to beat to death next.

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                            A few years ago it was cilantro. You couldn't order a tuna sandwich and diet coke without cilantro showing up somewhere. I don't hate cilantro, either, but there should be less cilantro than, say, lettuce.
                            Ugh! I hate cilantro; it tastes like soap to me. And yeah, it does seem like it's in every recipe, but fortunately, you can substitute other things for cilantro.

I don't like raw onions, but don't mind cooked ones. Hate radishes, not keen on most peppers. Can't have bananas, as I'm allergic.
                            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                            My LiveJournal
                            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Ben_Who View Post
                              chain restaurants hop on these food trend bandwagons, and suddenly they're shoveling pounds of this stuff into EVERYTHING.
                              /snip
                              It just makes me wonder what vegetable they're going to beat to death next.
                              Serious. I'm ready for the sweet potato trend to be over. I feel the same as you about avocados; they are good, but don't need to replace regular potatoes in every single thing. Also, kale. Red velvet. Actually, I'm going to stop now before I go on my giant red velvet rant and totally bum everyone out. Or irritate, depending on your love of red velvet.

Oh, I also like canned pears slightly better than fresh. Yet for all other fruit I much prefer fresh. In fact I thought I hated pineapple for years because I only had canned and it has an odd texture.
                              Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                                Also, kale. Red velvet. Actually, I'm going to stop now before I go on my giant red velvet rant and totally bum everyone out. Or irritate, depending on your love of red velvet.
                                So I'm not the only one who hates red velvet cake! I wanted to like it, it's pretty, but it just doesn't taste right to me.
                                I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                                My LiveJournal
                                A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Working...
                                X