X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The job

I have another thread in life advice.

http://www.customerssuck.com/board/s...d.php?t=114030

So I quit my job today. This is what happened that led up to it. I'm going to try to make separate posts with each incident to try to keep some sort of order to this so I don't drift in to different topics.

A couple of days after that thread started, this is what began....

A have had to change my blood pressure medicine. I'm also severely allergic to pot (please don't tell me I'm lying, I'm not) to the point where my throat starts to close. I have to take benedryl to prevent my throat from closing and it can take a while for even that to work. I work in the hotel industry and everyone and their dog seems to think it's ok to smoke it which makes my life very difficult because benedryl makes me incredibly sleepy.

Here's the thing, I've taken it with the last medicine and short of making me a bit sleepy it didn't do much. This stuff... well it's still new to me and I didn't realize the benedryl would have such an intense reaction with it.

It didn't just make me sleepy, it made me confused, kind of dizzy, and I had one really horrible day because of it making some bad mistakes. My blood pressure crashed and I almost ended up in the hospital after work.

I texted my boss to let him know what happened (after eating a whole lot of salt to bring my blood pressure back up to normal). He expressed concern. And then he and HR ambushed me the next day. Not out of concern for my well being but how badly it affected my work performance, and how much of a problem I caused the company because I was dazed. And THEN my manager sent me an email detailing how disappointed he was in me and that I had to make sure to tell them when something was wrong so it doesn't impact the business "just like we just discussed".

So not only did I nearly end up in the hospital, but I got told off face to face by my boss, HR, and then by my boss again in email. As if being lucky I didn't die wasn't enough. I didn't know the reaction that would happen. It's not like I did it on purpose.

Since then, I can't do anything right. And he's been recording EVERYTHING I do. No matter how small, he writes it down. Everything is a mistake. Even when he tells me initially that it's correct, I'll be gone for lunch, gone for overnight, gone for the weekend, and over that time, he's managed to find something wrong with what I've done.

Last week I made ONE mistake. That's right, one. It was a math error. I added down instead of to the right and wrote the wrong number in the number of rooms on some paperwork.

I was told everything else was fine. I went for lunch and came back to find FIVE pages of information with blue highlighter writing things that needed to be ADDED "because I forgot them". That's right, five pages. They weren't actually things that were wrong and I didn't make a mistake, he was just being a micromanager from hell.

This continued every single day for the entire week. No actually errors, just stuff he felt should be added even if they didn't need to be.

I had to increase my anxiety medicine because I was crying all the time and couldn't handle all the stress on Monday of last week.

By the end of the week, my stomach was in a twisted knot. Friday I could barely walk from the pain because I was convinced that I was going to be fired by the end of the day.

And that was after HR had a meeting to mediate between my manager and I where I got written up AGAIN because I had the wrong date on a reservation. We had the rooms mind you. And front desk could easily have said to the guest on seeing the wrong date "Hold on just a second" and changed the date then said "It was just under the wrong spelling. I changed it so we're all good". Instead what front desk said is "The sales assistant screwed up and entered the wrong dates so I have to fix it" and it blew up into a huge explosion that pissed off the guest.

When I pointed this out to my manager, he even admitted that I was right. It was made into something bigger than it had to be by everyone involved. Having been a staff manager myself... fucking fix it and move on instead of acting like a moron. Which I did not say to him but even so.

I spent the whole weekend dreading going in to work. My stomach was in horrible pain. The only thing helping me not burst into tears was the increased anxiety medicine.

I should also tell you that last week I discovered the fucking pigsty the files are in. Missing credit cards in corporate account files, missing signatures, missing contracts in some cases completely. And he was the sales assistant before I was so it's HIS fault, not mine.

He does and says things without telling me, even creating contracts and entering groups without saying a word, I just find them suddenly existing. I'm expected to read his mind and just know things to put in contracts (like he's given someone free bus parking without telling me and its nowhere in the goddamn contract). All while he's bitching that I don't communicate well.

The pigsty and bullshit becomes important soon, I promise.

So we got a rooming list for two separate groups last week.

He made me redo them three times. Yes, THREE TIMES. Not because the dates, rates, names, etc, were wrong. He didn't like the rooms I put them in even though he told me to set things up a certain way.

I literally spent a day and a half moving rooms around then he told me to hurry up because the project was taking too long.

In the last week, I've also spent time working on an SOP for my position after he told me "it's just not possible, there's too much work to do". It should have been HIS job to do that, not mine but considering the bullshit, it's not surprising. And, even though it wasn't even remotely complete and he knew it, and I told him that I had things I needed to change it but hadn't gotten to it yet, he started going through it picking it apart.

My stomach finally stopped hurting over the weekend but started again before work today. It wasn't too bad. Yet.

So usually he prints a copy of the arrivals, goes through it, chooses which ones he wants to give cards and baskets to, and then hands it to me to continue it. Today he slapped it down on the desk next to me unmarked (so I had to figure it out myself by asking him who he wanted to give it to). Along with that was a photocopy of two certificates he had received from head office for himself about what a great job he was doing (a compliment from two guests). wtf? That felt like a slap in my face. Talk about condescending.

I kept a copy of those and stuck them in a drawer.

Then he told me a site visit was coming so I made the site paperwork and was told all was fine before lunch. I came back from lunch to find that it had been reworked over with unneeded information after he's been whining at me about concise business writing for the last three months because he thinks I write too much. I gave the information needed, and no more because no one gives a crap. He on the other hand turned what was a single sentence and gives all the information needed to be known into a whole paragraph that no ones going to read anyway. I wrote that, because the meeting room was being used in the morning and the site was in the afternoon that it should be cleaned. HE decided to treat them like children and add that all the rooms should be cleaned too. wtf? Are they children that they need to be told to clean the hotel rooms that are listed on the site sheet? Really?

My stomach started really twisting at this point, and I was sitting there quietly at my desk with tears rolling down my cheeks.

Everything I do is wrong. 13 years in the industry, it is not possible for this much to be wrong all the time. He doesn't want an assistant, he wants a mini him.

I finally couldn't take it. I texted my husband and asked if he'd be angry if I quit today. And my boss is sitting there being so prissy acting like nothing is wrong.

I cracked. I grabbed my stuff, walked into HR's office and handed her my keys telling her that I couldn't work with him anymore. She persuaded me to talk to her and the GM in private and I agreed.

And I threw him under the bus. I told them all about the files, and all about the way he'd been talking to me. That it's not possible for me to have been in the industry 13 years and to be making this many mistakes after dedicating so many years to it. I also told them that I think the problem is that my manager is a new manager. He doesn't know how to be a staff manager and he needs hand holding. That he may have college experience but it's quite a different thing to have college experience and real life experience. To realize that dealing with staff is the single most difficult job you will ever have. And that he finally pushed me over the edge. That I couldn't handle him anymore and that I couldn't take being my managers practice anymore. I told them that not everything is a major money loser, or a major problem, and that my manager needs to learn whats important and whats not. That saying something is good is just as important as saying it's bad.

I told them that if I had these problems, whoever is going to come in after me is going to have the exact same problems which is why I agreed when HR said that I should talk to the GM because it's not right to put someone else through that if it can be stopped. HR said I owed it to the GM to let him know but that's not why I did it. I did it because I'm a nice person and I don't want to see someone else go through what I just did.

I was told by both HR and the GM that the job is the job so that won't change but they are going to look in to my claims. When I told the GM about the files he actually flinched (to me it shows that kind of pissed him off because I don't think he was aware. Frankly, selling isn't everything when you don't have the fucking information on file and even he knows that). I told him that my manager isn't as good as he seems.

Then I left. And my stomach unknotted almost the moment I walked out the door. I was crying and all but I was finally away from that place. I spent the next half hour talking to my sister on the phone.

Things are going to be so hard on us now. We will have to cancel cable television, and cut back on alot of other things. No more eating out. That sort of thing. Things won't be easy. I ran out of unemployment and wasn't employed long enough this time to earn any more. But it was a choice of continuing to be so physically and mentally stressed it might kill me or keeping the job. I had to do something.

I'm scared now. But it's finally over. The nitpicking micromanaging 29 year old college graduate with no real life experience can kiss my fucking ass. It was three months but it was a horrible three months.
    Last edited by EricKei; 03-29-2016, 03:22 AM. Reason: OctoMerge o_O;>

Quoth Moirae
    I was told by both HR and the GM that the job is the job so that won't change but they are going to look in to my claims.
    You know, I think of all the things that are wrong and infuriating in your story, this bothers me the most. While your direct boss is clearly the villain, these type of statements and corresponding attitudes are what allow villains like him to continue. Tautologies in general irritate me, even more than platitudes. But coming from people in positions of authority, used to justify your bosses actions... Well, that makes me really angry. I had a manager (who I actually liked) who still irritated the crap out of me because at morning meetings she would say "we have to do what we have to do." Yeah? And?

Anyway, I'm happy you got out of there. Staying might have provided the small security of income, but your health is worth more. Also, the way things were going, your boss might have pushed you out anyway.
    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

Unsure if three months is enough, but you may have a case for Hostile Work Environment -- especially if you have documentation of these issues/copies of any allowable paperwork from there. Talk to the Labor Board.

In any case -- The place was positively toxic. From the sound of things, you would have wound up in hospital just from the stress at this rate x.x Just gotta hope that better things lie ahead -- even if it means trying another field for a while until a position in your field opens up that you have a chance to investigate before pulling the trigger.
      (please don't tell me I'm lying, I'm not)
      Everybody here knows better, even if one might feel that way. If something like that happens, hit Report and move on, and we'll be glad to deal with it.

I merged the posts -- It's fine to just use section headers or what have you If we even have a post length limit, it's something like 10K characters, so dun worry about it.
      "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
      "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
      "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
      "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
      "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
      "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
      Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
      "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Your health is the most important thing. Being out of there is the best possible thing, it sounds like. And that place is going to have some very tough times if they don't sit the manager down and instill some new attitude into him.

F' them. All the way up with a red-hot poker.
        “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
        One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
        The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
          You know, I think of all the things that are wrong and infuriating in your story, this bothers me the most. While your direct boss is clearly the villain, these type of statements and corresponding attitudes are what allow villains like him to continue. Tautologies in general irritate me, even more than platitudes. But coming from people in positions of authority, used to justify your bosses actions... Well, that makes me really angry. I had a manager (who I actually liked) who still irritated the crap out of me because at morning meetings she would say "we have to do what we have to do." Yeah? And?
          The boss is a symptom, not the problem. He was put in that role because he can be paid less than an manager with hospitality experience. Also because he has no experience, he won't know how to handle people (and thus is less likely to sympathize with them) and he won't question what he knows, or even suspects, is wrong.

To me, saying "the job is the job" means "we don't know how to fix things, and anyway we wouldn't be allowed to if we did."

And in an industry, society and country where CEOs get to make all the rules and buy all the politicians, can you really blame them for resorting to "it is what it is"?
          Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Eric, unfortunately I live in Louisiana. This is one of the states with the least employee rights in the country and it only got worse under Bobby Jindal. I didn't keep most of what he wrote to me, though I should have. The government would likely blow me off anyway so long as I got paid what I was owed on my paycheck.

Thank you everyone. I'm so tired of hearing how employees deserve to be treated like garbage and seeing it allowed to happen.

Comment

Quoth Moirae View Post
              I'm also severely allergic to pot (please don't tell me I'm lying, I'm not) to the point where my throat starts to close.
              I once had a classmate who was allergic to apples, and I believe that another member here has another unusual allergy. I wouldn't be surprised if ANYTHING were a trigger for someone's allergy.

My experience has been that the people who say "It's not possible to be allergic to X" are those who want to consume X wherever and whenever they want.
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I'm so sorry you dealt with someone like that. I wish you were able to move because I know they are hiring out here and would snap you up quick, especially because you have experience. Good luck!!

Comment

Wolfie, I think that's exactly it. If you can be allergic to grass, or even water, you can be allergic to weed. Just because its rare doesn't mean it's impossible. I've talked to doctors about it and been told it's much more common than most people realize. Most people aren't deathly allergic like I am but it can be bad.

Thanks Sunshine. I'm having a hard time getting anyone to call me back, even when it's a viable lead. I've never seen an area where its so incredibly hard to get a job in my life, even with extensive background experience.

Comment

Allergies are all in the mind! (sarcasm, please don't kill me)

I've always assumed that a person could be allergic to anything. The worst one I've heard of is the lady who's allergic to chocolate. That's just depressing. I know a person at work who is allergic to pineapple. I know someone who's intolerant of soooo much. She can hardly eat broccoli or any cruciferous vegetable. Or gluten or nuts or beans or dairy. And these presented as an adult. As a younger person she could eat anything she wanted.

Moirae, at least you have experience? I'm saying that as someone who has no experience and am pretty terrified to try for an internship, even though I am required to for school.
                    Replace anger management with stupidity management.

Comment

When I was very young (about 5?) I had a friend who was allergic to chocolate. I couldn't understand it, but I just accepted that it meant more for me. (I also wondered if it had to do with his skin being the color of chocolate, but that's another story.)

An acquaintance of my wife's was a nurse. It turned out that she had an allergy to latex, which didn't present until adulthood. Which would have been inconvenient, because she was a nurse, but evidently things happened very quickly. Her husband and kid (s?) came home one day to find her dead on the floor.

And someone had the gall to say to her widower that allergies were "all in the mind"... I'm still not sure how that person got to keep their face...
                      “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
                      One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
                      The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Quoth Nunavut Pants View Post
                        It turned out that she had an allergy to latex, which didn't present until adulthood.
                        My brother developed an allergy to mustard in his late teens out of nowhere -- as in, chowing down on half a bag of honey mustard pretzels one day with no issue, then breaking out in hives the next day just from opening the bag! He was heartbroken x.x He also discovered that he had an allergy to the type of latex used in foodservice gloves...when he was working at a pizza place. They got him some gloves made of an alternate, hypoallergenic rubber that was coated with a powder that was supposed to help -- and, of course, he turned out to be allergic to both of those too.

Quoth notalwaysright View Post
                        The worst one I've heard of is the lady who's allergic to chocolate. That's just depressing.
                        O_O

I don't think I could live if I were allergic to chocolate...I don't mean that I'd do anything directly and intentionally harmful, I just mean that, sooner or later, I would just succumb to my cravings and OD on the biggest Hershey bar I could find, sooner or later...
                        "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
                        "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
                        "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
                        "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
                        "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
                        "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
                        Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
                        "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Quoth EricKei View Post
                          O_O

I don't think I could live if I were allergic to chocolate...I don't mean that I'd do anything directly and intentionally harmful, I just mean that, sooner or later, I would just succumb to my cravings and OD on the biggest Hershey bar I could find, sooner or later...
                          That would be my grandma and peaches. She was allergic and would break into hives. One summer she ate an entire basket of fresh, sweet peaches from the local tree and she said it was worth it.

Comment

I have hay fever too. And an allergy to the dye used to make Ukrainian easter eggs which sucks because they are really fun to do but I break out in hives. I also have an allergy to shell fish that makes me all red and itchy and raises my temperature but I've never actually eaten one, just accidentally swallowed the juices from cooking shrimp. I touched the handle of a shopping cart once that made the palms of my hands red, swollen and itchy. My husband thinks that the last person that used it must have been handling shrimp.

The shellfish and hay fever presented when I was an adult. I found out about the dye when I was 10 or 11 and we were making the easter eggs at home with mum.

You won't believe what just happened.

You remember that job where I was the AGM at that small hotel and was fired? They just asked me if I want to come back to help with the accounting. Losing that job just absolutely broke my heart but at this point I'm desperate so I said yes. When they offered, I cried so hard I couldn't talk. Louisiana just raised a bunch of taxes. We would have just been making it under my husbands salary before then. They raised the taxes on the house by $200. That eliminated the money we had for food. I HAD to take the job.

I just don't even know what to think anymore.

I'm working on starting an ebay business. I can't take the working under other people any more. It's just too painful.
                            Last edited by Moirae; 04-02-2016, 04:14 AM.

Comment

My stepmother has been diagnosed with balsam of peru allergy, which includes allergy to chocolate, vanilla, cinnamon, citrus peel, cloves, paprika, curry, nutmeg and all sorts of other things. It's also used heaps in cleaning products and make-up/perfume. Yeah, that's a fun one!
                              "Bring me knitting!" (The Doctor - not the one you were expecting)

Comment

Working...
                              X