Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I should probably also note that mine was likely caused by high intra-ocular pressure. It's a warning sign for the most common form of Glaucoma, and my dad was diagnosed extremely young with full blown glaucoma. Monitoring the pressure in my eyes and the state of my optic nerve are highly important to me.

Comment

I get a kind of visual hallucination that's apparently 'probably a migraine'. For me, it's a cluster of black dots - as in, they're so close together in the middle that it's a black blob, and it resolves into dots of various sizes around the outside.
      After that happens, I usually (not always) end up with my right eye feeling like a little gnome is running a power drill through it. Through the eye, through the bone, and deep into the brain.

My optometrist studied my eyes and verified that they're okay, and suggested I speak to my doctor about checking it for being a migraine. But with me having fibromyalgia it's damned difficult for my doctor to determine whether this is a pain separate from the fibro, or just another fibro symptom.

Either way, my pain management methods enable me to live with it, so .... <shrug>.
      I cover my right eye when I get the warning symptoms, and I take one of my 'as needed' painkillers. Or if I'm nearly due for my next regular meds, I take them. If necessary, the 'standard' migraine technique of 'quiet and dark' can help; but if I can manage simply by putting an eyepatch or a blindfold on, I do that.

My home-made eyepatch: take some felt scraps (four or five), and an old, worn-out clean sock (the sort that's smooth, not fuzzy, and one that doesn't shed. An old t-shirt also works). Also, elastic, needle and thread, and maybe some decorations.
      Cut the felt scraps into a square larger than you want an eyepatch to be, then round one corner of one of the scraps to make space for your nose. Use that as a template to cut the rest.
      In all but one of the scraps, make a hole slightly larger than your eye. Hold all the scraps together, and check that the hole is large enough that your eye is comfortable inside the hole. If the hole is not deep enough for your eye to be comfortable, make another layer of 'felt with a hole'. If there's somewhere you need to make the hole bigger, do so - particularly on the layers closest to your face.
      Make sure the un-holed scrap is thick enough to block out light entering from in front. If it's not, put the sock in front of it. If one or two layers of sock will do the job, you're still cool. Otherwise you might need one more scrap (ie, two layers of light-blocking felt.)
      There will be some places where your eye can see light around the edges of the patch. You fix that later.
      Sew the felt layers together.
      Cut a bit of the sock off, and roll a tube that's long enough to go all around the eyehole on the felt. Check that this is enough to block the light around the edges of the patch. Sew this tube around the edge of the eyehole.
      Trim the felt that isn't essential to the function of the patch, so that it's shaped how you want it to be.
      Sew the sock fabric (nice and soft) over the interior of the patch, so that it's padding the skin around your eye. You can sew the toe section against the top of the hole, then where it goes past the padding-tube, you can sew that to the tube. Then whatever goes around the edge of the top layer of felt, sew it to that.
      Do a test-run of how much elastic you want, and where you want to attach it, by using pins or safety pins to attach elastic. Once you're happy, sew it on.

Whenever you're ready to, decorate the patch by putting decorative fabric - or plain fabric, if you like - over the top, and sewing it to the sides of the patch. Then you can put any decorations you like on the front of the patch: just keep the part next to the skin, and in the eyehole, soft and smooth and not sheddy.
      Last edited by Seshat; 04-05-2016, 09:42 AM.
      Seshat's self-help guide:
      1. Would you rather be right, or get the result you want?
      2. If you're consistently getting results you don't want, change what you do.
      3. Deal with the situation you have now, however it occurred.
      4. Accept the consequences of your decisions.

"All I want is a pretty girl, a decent meal, and the right to shoot lightning at fools." - Anders, Dragon Age.

Comment

Yes. I've gotten them at work before, and they're a pain in the neck. What I see is what I call a "tail"; a spiral of flashing black and white slices (kinda like an old analogue TV going funny) that starts just outside my vision, then spreads across it. For ages, I have this spiral tail blocking my vision and I feel light headed, but eventually it gets so big it vanishes. I usually just grit my teeth and work thru it, impossible for a regular migraine where I get extreme nausea (think Regan from the Exorcist) and blinding head pain like being stabbed in the side of the head. Compared to that, I can live with a pain free one.
        People who don't like cats were probably mice in an earlier life.
        My DeviantArt.

Comment

Quoth Seshat View Post
          Then you can put any decorations you like on the front of the patch: just keep the part next to the skin, and in the eyehole, soft and smooth and not sheddy.
          Please, please PLEASE tell me that one of the decorations is a skull-and-crossbones?

YARRR!!!!
          “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged.
          One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world.
          The other, of course, involves orcs." -- John Rogers

Comment

Working...
          X