This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yet another work injury thread

Because no matter how much time passes, I just HAVE to hurt myself at work sometimes.

My latest:

At the day job, getting ready to put a new slab of roast beast™ on the slicer and I burn my arm on the ...handle...I guess of the damn thing. It's been nearly a week and a half and it's still there. No blisters, though, just kinda looks like a rash. (As an aside, am I the only person who refuses to use burn spray because *that's* what gives me blisters?)

At the night job, I'm forever tripping over everything and nothing, catching my fingers and/or hands between bread racks and milk totes, I absolutely refuse to clean under the cappuccino machines because I get weird cuts across the top of my right hand and all kinds of other fun stuff that is just a normal shift for me.

Now, back to the day job and some injuries I've gotten there.

Back when I'd be working weekends there, for some reason I'd end up pouring a ladleful of au jus over my left hand.

Every. Time. I'd. Work. A. Weekend.

The top of the hand might be a bit sensitive now, but never any blisters, scarring, or general disfigurement.

Back in the autumn, I was working fry station when I accidentally dropped a side item into one of the fryers. I'm trying to grab it with the tongs when a coworker distracted me enough while telling me to be careful so that my hand got way too close to the hot oil {in other words, part of my hand went *into* the oil}. Good times.

Spent the rest of my shift cooling off my hand in various ways and making sure it didn't look really gross and/or blister.

Anyone else have more injuries at work stories?
    Unseen but seeing
    oh dear, now they're masquerading as sane-KiaKat
    There isn't enough interpretive dance in the workplace these days-Irv
    3rd shift needs love, too
    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

At one of my old c-stores the counters were steel. There was a seam and one side had been pulled up a bit. I'm walking through the doorway, swing my arm and gouge my forearm on that pulled up part. Yelp, get bandaids, go on with life. About two weeks later, the scratch had scabbed over and damned if I didn't do it again! That time I got a mallet and pounded the crap out of that counter. I still have the scar!!

Comment

Back when I worked in computers, I managed to cut my finger on a burr on a case when installing a graphics card. Also had a near-miss with a corner protector (avoid drywall damage from stuff hitting the corner) on a wall - the corners on the stainless steel weren't trimmed to a radius (gotta save a few cents), and one wasn't flush against the drywall, and it was at shoulder height. Didn't hurt myself, but ripped a brand new shirt.
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

For about the first two years of me working night shift, the only records on the accident sheet were

Terza: Plaster
        Other night guy: Plaster
        ONG: Plaster
        Cashier: Plaster

Yay for opening/breaking down cardboard boxes and the associated papercuts!! It got to the point I started bringing/using my own plasters, since I got at least two cuts a shift minimum!
        It's got better now, mainly because I've got better at avoiding cuts, but also because I don't do so much of the stocking.

Comment

I haven't done much but my mom works at a dry cleaners. Long ago in a dry cleaners in a galaxy far, far away... ahem. Some time ago, she accidentally nudged a press and it came down. On her arm.

Third degree burns, debridement and other wonderful things later, she has one HELL of a scar.

Comment

I'm always pulling muscles, getting cardboard cuts, breaking nails below the quick, bruising, you name it. Hauling around heavy boxes can be very rough on a body.
            I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
            My LiveJournal
            A page we can all agree with!

Comment

I pinched my finger in the joint of the folding tables at the school.

I pinched my finger in the hinge between the gate and sidewall of our trailer during set up.

I sliced the bottom of my fingers on a piece of glass once when I was making a sign.

I sliced the top of my finger on the door handle when I was arriving at a show and getting ready to set up quilts.

I am surprised that I still have fingers left.
              https://purplefish-quilting.square.site/

Comment

Got a cut underneath my thumbnail today while setting up the big 12-foot ladder to change a building banner outside.

It hurtssssssssss.
                Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                  Got a cut underneath my thumbnail today while setting up the big 12-foot ladder to change a building banner outside.

It hurtssssssssss.
                  Ouch! I'm always getting those too. They're nasty.
                  I don't have an attitude problem. You have a perception problem.
                  My LiveJournal
                  A page we can all agree with!

Comment

Quoth Irving Patrick Freleigh View Post
                    It hurtssssssssss.
                    I've been there.
                    Hurts even more when peroxide is applied.
                    Unseen but seeing
                    RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

I cracked a rib once answering the phone. Bent over the counter to reach it and *crack!*

No fun.
                      Drive it like it's a county car.

Comment

^^Gotta admit that I'm surprised that that hasn't happened to me yet.
                        Unseen but seeing
                        RIP, mo bhrionglóid

Comment

Injured myself on the coffee machine at work Sat night, while I was cleaning it. Small but very painful cut just on/above the top bend on my right index finger.
                          Not sure what I actually cut it on as I didn't realise I'd done it until after, but it's made life since a little difficult, it catches on everything!!

Comment

Working...
                          X