This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Geek King View Post
    Actually, when the water starts corroding the motherboard and other fun bits in there, he'll pay a lot more. Even dried, there's a good chance additional damage was done that might take a couple of weeks to show. Then again, I've seen electronics take a dunk and let dry, then work for years. Blame the mad prophet Murphy, I guess.
    Depends on a number of things one is how well it was dried. there was no signs dampness in there, two is the chemicals in the water for your locale. around here our water is basically liquid rock whioch won't do too much harm and 3, what may deal the fatal blow to his computer, what chemicals were in the soap. If he was using Fairy, which is what most people use to clean things around the home if they are gonna mix it with water, he's fucked.

Quoth Dreamstalker View Post
    A clothes dryer?! Although some folks on a computer forum of mine have claimed to put MP3 players/flash drives through wash/dry* and they worked afterward...

* Someone, I believe it's Corsair, makes a flashdrive that is supposed to be waterproof/shockproof. I would test that claim if I had the disposable income to do so.
    *shrug* I've put my old flash drive through the washing machine before. ok, it doesn't say "Lexar JUMP!" on there any more, but it still works.

Ontop of that, I found a rather interesting testemony to the robustness of flash drives Blast Destroys camera. Compact flash card survives

and for those "Pictures or it didn't happen" people

Picture 1. Debris flying towards the camera

Picture 2. a shot taken from another camera of the first camera being ripped apart in mid-air
    -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

Quoth Music Mo-Gal View Post
      Some people are obviously too stupid to own a computer!

Soap and water on a computer? Now I've heard everything!
      No. No, you haven't.

Comment

Quoth xaenon View Post
        No. No, you haven't.
        Don't toy with us like that Share pls!
        The report button - not just for decoration

Comment

I don't think Xeanon thinks of anything specific. Just that when you think you heard everything, you'l soon meet someone who'll prove you wrong.

Just like when you think you devised something idiot-proof, evolution kicks in and comes up with a superior idiot.
          "I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."

Comment

Before my ex and his cellphone caper, I was sure that nobody could be that dumb. At least he didn't try "there should be a warning label!".

He now tells me he's taking the A+ Years ago, he tried to build a homebrew watercooling system... the end result was not pretty when something sprung a leak (thus serving as a spectacular demo of why watercooling first-timers don't try to roll their own). He had a nice idea, but even some of the old-timers on a shared computer forum said he screwed up.

To (probably mis-)quote a deckhand from Deadliest Catch: "He just did something that has never been done before! Totally new! But it's still WRONG!"
            Last edited by Dreamstalker; 06-03-2008, 03:44 PM.
            "I am quite confident that I do exist."
            "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

A clothes dryer?! Although some folks on a computer forum of mine have claimed to put MP3 players/flash drives through wash/dry* and they worked afterward...
              That's happened to me, it's been washed, dried and dropped down the stairs several times and it still functions perfectly.
              I am the nocturnal echo-locating flying mammal man.

Comment

Before my ex and his cellphone caper, I was sure that nobody could be that dumb. At least he didn't try "there should be a warning label!".

He now tells me he's taking the A+ Years ago, he tried to build a homebrew watercooling system... the end result was not pretty when something sprung a leak (thus serving as a spectacular demo of why watercooling first-timers don't try to roll their own). He had a nice idea, but even some of the old-timers on a shared computer forum said he screwed up.

To (probably mis-)quote a deckhand from Deadliest Catch: "He just did something that has never been done before! Totally new! But it's still WRONG!"
                allways makes me laugh when people say "there should be a warning label" because you can guarentee it's someone who's done somthing that no other person with common sense would actually do

I have to say, I was a first timer when I put together my water cooling system ^^; difference is, unlike many people who do that kind of thing, I actually know what I'm doing lol. I would say you're right though. first timers, generally, should not build their own.
                -The one, The Only, AdvancedFlea-

Stick that in your blog and smoke it.

A guide for customers about retail

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                  This is off topic...but I hate that comic. Buckley is a hack, and I restarted reading it since his recent comic arc had me hoping he might have the chutzpah to be creative for once...but nope. He didn't have the balls to go through with it.
                  Just wondering if you'd read his latest strip - the one with no word balloons. I had to admit that I sat there stunned for a moment or two.

Rapscallion

Comment

*is reminded of the tale of my ex and the cellphone* Although he wasn't trying to clean the thing, he just had no clue that talking on it while in the shower was bad...trying to dry it off in the microwave was even worse.

ooooooooooo!!!!!!

Talk about letting the grey smoke genie out of the bag!!!!!

I can just see it in the Local provider's repair workroom hanging on the "wall of shame"

"There's a reason that thar phone is called 'the brick'".

You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take,and statistically speaking, 99% of the shots you do take.

Pirates Vs. Ninjas. Which would you choose? http://s1.darkpirates.com/c.php?uid=40174

Comment

Quoth AdvancedFlea View Post
                      I have to say, I was a first timer when I put together my water cooling system ^^; difference is, unlike many people who do that kind of thing, I actually know what I'm doing lol. I would say you're right though. first timers, generally, should not build their own.
                      Yeah, he knew not what he was actually doing. I think what happened is that he read on the forum about Method X, made a leap of illogic using Concept Y and dodgy parts, got a wild idea and never bothered to ask how to do it properly. I knew even less than he did about watercooling at the time and just looking at what he had I could see it would never work as planned.
                      "I am quite confident that I do exist."
                      "Excuse me, I'm making perfect sense. You're just not keeping up." The Doctor

Comment

Working...
                      X