This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bows and Arrows

My first sukie post, and I have to admit I didn’t think it would happen at my weekend job. I work at a Renaissance Festival in VA and actually have a friend/owner/manager of the booth who has the god send of a spine. My husband and I work on the pay to shoot archery range. We’re working with English long bows and will give you enough instruction so that you don’t hurt yourself, but that’s about it. If you want more one on one, hold your hand instruction you need to pay for instruction. So this weekend I got to deal with-

BUT I’S KNOW HOW TO SHOOT A BOW!

Theis are people who if we’re lucky know how to shoot a compound, if we’re really lucky a recurve bow. Both have different ways of handling the bow, and knocking the arrow. Most of the time it’s from people that have watched to many movies and think anything they see in Hollywood is correct. You try to tell them not to hold the string with their whole fist and they don’t listen and then wonder why their shot goes off. The real buggers want to shot with out a glove, because their MEN. Never mind that if the feathers come off there going into their hand, or that you wear the glove because of safety and thoughts are the rules. Or that our insurance for shooting is ungodly and demands that people wear them.

Marshmallow Children

This is a term I’ve coined at our range. Surprisingly most of them are boys. What is a marshmallow child you ask? it’s a kid from the age of 7-13 with no muscles to speak of except for in their thumbs due to to many hours on video games. They are incapable of pulling back a 30lb bow and have trouble with the children’s 10lb bow. Mind you their 5 year old sister can pull back the adult bow with very little problem.

But he’s scared

I actually had one mother who must have had her husbands testacies in a box, and she was just waiting for her six year olds to drop. This kid looked like he was 8, actually had some muscle tone, so he got an adult bow and could not follow instructions to save his life. This isn’t hard instructions, hold your arm out straight, stop sucking it into your body, hold the arrow on the string with three fingers, not your fist. Your going to hurt your self sucking everything into your body, so long as you do it the right way I’m showing you you’ll be fine. I’m pretty much giving him a lesson for free with all of the demonstration of how to shot and correcting his body position. He just didn’t get it.

His mom wanted me to give him a child’s bow. Kept saying he wasn’t capable of pulling back the “big” one. When I pointed out he had muscle tone, she then said she didn’t think he would pull even the child’s bow because he was to “timid”. Her husband actually tried to get him to follow the instructions and she rebuffed him saying it was to much for him. I told her point blank, the child’s bow is to small for him, he could break it, and she would be stuck paying for it. Mind you their about 200-300 apiece. It would be of no help to the kid to give him something smaller and have him do it incorrectly, because he could still hurt himself with it. She kept spewing that he was timid and wouldn’t pull it back enough to break it so it would be ok.

I then went and got the owner of the booth, M. She went through the same thing with the kid, the same thing with the Mom. Mom tried again to push her boy as being timid. M told her he was scared, not timid and until he stopped being scared she couldn’t have him shot on the range, and gave her the money back. I love having a person in charge who’s got a spine and backs up her workers.

Yea...Mom just didn't want to acknowledge that her precious baby was growing up.

As for the little girl who can handle an adult bow, she rocks!

Some men are stupid when it comes to impressing others out there. I'll grant you that some women are also stupid when trying to impress other but yea...owning a recurve since I was six and being trained on that...I know to wear the gloves and know what happens when one doesn't. I also (after standing wrong) know what it's like to feel a feather cut your cheek (note not a plastic feather either)...never stood that way again. All Grandpa did was say, "Try again." Got my arrow stuck into a 12in tree on my next try. I think the arrow still is in that tree too and I haven't been that small in so long.

Comment

Man...I really miss my archery class now. That class was FUN. PE credit for shooting a deadly weapon. Oh yeah. Plus, I got decent groupings after the first semester, and was working on learning to shoot with a sight.

I MISS archery.....
      "Eventually, everything that you have said becomes everything you will ever say." Eireann

My pony dolls: http://equestriarags.tumblr.com

Comment

In regards to kids too weak to pull back the bow, I was one of them. And really, I still am. I have like zero upper body strength. I spent 8 hours a week in the gym, for 3 months straight, doing a combination of strength and cardio training. When I started I could bench 80 lbs. When I finished I could bench... 80 lbs.

I toned up, but couldn't seem to increase my upper body strenght at all.

And when I was a kid, it was pretty embarassing to be so weakly, and it's really not so great now that I'm grown up. But there seems to be little that I can do about it - even an exercise program with a personal trainer didn't improve my abilities one jot.

And while you can blame video games for some of it, I was just as weakly before I ever owned an Atari or a PC.

Comment

You had a achery class? I bow to you, I remember having a 'kids' archery class with suckers on the end. Meh.

In college I took a fencing class, and that ended up with some bruises and some gashes from the foils. Heeeee was so much fun.

Comment

We had archery for PE. Last day of class they put pictures of the instructors up on the targets. Extra credit for hitting the pictures!

I would have loved to have fencing. Instead they had us try to kill each other with field hockey.
            Labor boards have info on local laws for free
            HR believes the first person in the door
            Learn how to go over whackamole bosses' heads safely
            Document everything
            CS proves Dunning-Kruger effect

Comment

*shivers* Oh I detested field hockey there was this one time that....

Eh...no more thread stealing. Sorries.

Comment

Ah man...I would NEVER try and shoot a bow without a glove. Call me a pansy, but the thought of having the skin ripped off my hand if I screw up just makes me <aiyeeeeek!>

My old private school once gave archery lessons for a couple of months...the instructor constantly was emphasizing safety and having an adult monitor you. (We were like...12 or something.) I remember the snotty rich kids being complete arseholes to the teacher and scoffing every time he went into his spiel.

Less than two weeks into the course, one of the girls from my class doesn't show up. Why? Because she and a couple of the boys took a bow home, and proceeded to break every rule. She ended up getting shot in the eye. Somehow, God was uber lenient and it didn't do a terrible amount of damage, but she got quite a few surgeries over it. They stopped the archery class right then and there, blaming the teacher over the incident.

I wonder....would that be considered one of my first encounters of the SC kind? lol
                By popular request....I am now officially the Enemy of Normalcy.

"What is unobtainium? To Seraph, it's a normal client. :P" -- Observant Friend

Comment

Hell, I used to shoot a 15 lb bow at a LARP I played, and that sumbitch would tear my arm up if I didn't have a bracer on. I'd not want to try a 30 pounder wothout the right equipment.

Comment

I love the idiots that can't understand that if for whatever reason there is someone (or an animal) between you and the target you are aiming for don't bloody release the arrow! In fact don't even sit there with the arrow nocked and ready to fire.

Oh, and i think the mom was just afraid that her precious little baby would gain some confidence and tell her to go stuff it.

People who play video games can also be quite toned. Hell I can apply over 100lbs of pressure with either hand. ^^ That's after two years of being unable to exercise. People who are physically weak who play video games, would be physically weak even if they didn't play videogames them.
                    Last edited by aniwahya; 06-02-2008, 09:32 PM. Reason: rearranged sentence
                    The best revenge is to be unlike him who performed the injury. - Marcus Aurelius
                    If you're slower than me, stupider than me, and you taste good...you're dinner - Anthony Bourdain

Memento mori.

Comment

Dear God PLEASE can we use the last Mother for mulch??!?!?!?! If the mods feel this is advocating violence, I apologize.

I see two futures for this child- either they will be this timid little thing that has to get permission for every little thing and is afraid of anything bigger than a dustbunny or (more likely) said child will go off the other deep end and wind up on the Darwin Awards by coming up with some stupid stunt.

I hatehatehate parents like this. It's not just the nightmare headache they give me on my job- as a camp staffer, it's part of my job to create a comfortable environment to encourage kids to try new, sometimes risky, things. I understand some parents need a bit more info, esp first timers, but I know this type......... she is the last one to leave camp opening day and is the topic of discussion with the Ad Staff (though most likely they encountered her, too) so they get a heads-up in case she calls.

Gerrison- you can pull a 30 lb bow. I bench the same amount and I have no problem with a 30 lber. That's the drawback to moving into Administration- it's hard to find time to get to the archery range. I hope to find time and and $ to train as an archery instructor. Then they have to let me shoot!

Comment

Quoth Seraph View Post
                        Ah man...I would NEVER try and shoot a bow without a glove.
                        I would. I'm pretty good at pulling the string back and releasing. My aim... is another story.
                        Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Aethian View Post
                          As for the little girl who can handle an adult bow, she rocks!
                          Aethian, I'd love to say that there was just one instance of that, but unfortuntly no. Usally the girls can pull back the adult bows. I've had to look at them for size becuase almost all of them have the muscle as in 99.9% of the time. If their 3 feet or over they can pull the wieght. The boys just can't do it. I have to look at them for muscle very closly because they just can't pull the weight.

I know people here have said its not video games, but I've had to many Dads coment that their son spends to much time in front of the things. I also blame parenting, ie make said son get off the thing Heck make your kids go out and play.

Quoth Evil Queen
                          I would. I'm pretty good at pulling the string back and releasing. My aim... is another story.
                          You really don't want to to that with feathered fletching. The feathers can dig into your hand and since theres no shaft for the arrow to rest on on a long bow, your hand becomes the rest. If we used plastic vanes you can deffently get a way with it, but please don't do it with the feathers. I have to addmit, my aim is not so hot eather, I can hit the target, just can't tell you where its going to hit.

Comment

Quoth aniwahya View Post
                            I love the idiots that can't understand that if for whatever reason there is someone (or an animal) between you and the target you are aiming for don't bloody release the arrow! In fact don't even sit there with the arrow nocked and ready to fire.

Oh man I love you!! I've had people look at me like I had three eyes in my head for yelling at them to point the arrow down range. Last year I wasn't so paranoid, but after hearing two different instances of very close thunks about 12 inches to my head fixed that. Both were by small kids, and don't get me wrong I'm not screaming profanities at them, the usual "PLEASE POINT THE ARROW AND BOW DOWN RANGE GOOD SIR/MADAM" pretty well works.

Comment

Quoth KitterCat View Post
                              Aethian, I'd love to say that there was just one instance of that, but unfortunately no. usually the girls can pull back the adult bows. I've had to look at them for size because almost all of them have the muscle as in 99.9% of the time. If their 3 feet or over they can pull the weight. The boys just can't do it. I have to look at them for muscle very closely because they just can't pull the weight.

I know people here have said its not video games, but I've had to many Dads comment that their son spends to much time in front of the things. I also blame parenting, ie make said son get off the thing Heck make your kids go out and play.
                              I had a feeling someone was going to say something a lot like that. I know some little girls who could take on boys three grades above them and not even mess up their nail polish. Actually saw that one time...little girl hit boy, boy doubles over, girl walks away looking at her nails and commenting to her Mom that he smugged one.

Comment

Working...
                              X