This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cranky Indian Guy II

A couple of years ago at my university there was a tutor known universally as Cranky Indian Guy. He knew his stuff but was always in a cranky mood, no matter how much coffee we saw him drink.

Anyway, recently a guy I'm calling Cranky Indian Guy II has moved into the area near my workplace, and become a regular customer. Besides general crankiness, he seems to have a problem with getting coins in his change. (e.g. if his total is $15.90 he'll hand you a $20 note and then dig through his pockets for 90 cents in change).

What precisely has this person's ethnicity got to do with his crankiness? And what is "cranky" about not wanting coins in your change? he gives you the 90 cents, you give him a $5....sorry, but I fail to see what is cranky about that. Or is it just this guy's ethnicity that you have a problem with (and are you sure he's Indian - he could be Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sylheti, Sri Lankan.....)
    A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
    - Dave Barry

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
      What precisely has this person's ethnicity got to do with his crankiness?
      Nothing really, I've already explained why I call him Cranky Indian Guy II. The original Cranky Indian Guy was one of several cranky people and one of several Indians among the tutors at the time, but the only one who was both cranky and Indian. (there was also cranky Polish guy and cranky Chinese guy) ETA: Somehow the various Cool Indian/Polish/Chinese/etc guys were always known by their actual names.

And what is "cranky" about not wanting coins in your change? he gives you the 90 cents, you give him a $5....sorry, but I fail to see what is cranky about that.
      I said "apart from general crankiness". It's just unusual to always pay the coin amounts. With amounts like $14.05 most people will pay $20.05 and get the $5 back, but if it's $14.90 most people will just pay the $20 and get $5.10 back.

Or is it just this guy's ethnicity that you have a problem with (and are you sure he's Indian - he could be Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sylheti, Sri Lankan.....)
      When did you stop beating your wife? In other words, how can I answer such a loaded question in a way that doesn't make me look like the bigot you want me to be?
      Last edited by edible_hat; 06-03-2008, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Hey, I dont care if you're a bigot or not. I am sure you're a perfectly nice normal person. However, if you're going to run around labelling people on the basis of their ethnicity, then you can't go all wide-eyed and innocent when someone applies an equally sloppy "label" to you, can you?
        A person who is nice to you, but not nice to the waiter is not a nice person
        - Dave Barry

Comment

Okay, this is getting a little heated. Although I don't agree with labeling him with the Ethnicity, it probably helped edible_hat differentiate on campus. It's a name that doesn't transfer well if you don't get the context or background needed.
          Last edited by Fenrus; 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM.
          Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth Barefootgirl View Post
            What precisely has this person's ethnicity got to do with his crankiness? And what is "cranky" about not wanting coins in your change? he gives you the 90 cents, you give him a $5....sorry, but I fail to see what is cranky about that. Or is it just this guy's ethnicity that you have a problem with (and are you sure he's Indian - he could be Pakistani, Bangladeshi, Sylheti, Sri Lankan.....)
            I believe, BFG, the comment on coinage was an aside (see below). The racial part was, I believe, merely a reference to the fact that this man reminds him of a former tutor who had earned the nickname of the Cranky Indian Guy, hence the title C.I.G.-2 (ditto).

Not a highly informative post, nor terribly demonstrative in the way of supporting points, but let us attribute motives to Edible_Hat that are completely unintended.

Emphasis Mine
            Quoth edible_hat View Post
            A couple of years ago at my university there was a tutor known universally as Cranky Indian Guy. He knew his stuff but was always in a cranky mood, no matter how much coffee we saw him drink.

Anyway, recently a guy I'm calling Cranky Indian Guy II has moved into the area near my workplace, and become a regular customer. Besides general crankiness, he seems to have a problem with getting coins in his change. (e.g. if his total is $15.90 he'll hand you a $20 note and then dig through his pockets for 90 cents in change).
            EDIT: All the posts except those quoted showed up while writing this. I'm leaving it here, though, since I think it sums up certain points nicely.
            Last edited by JustADude; 06-03-2008, 09:03 AM.
            ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
            And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

An "equally sloppy label" would be to call me Silly White Guy. Or at the moment Tired and Confused White Guy since I worked for 6 hours, then went to uni for 3 hours, then got home to find a birthday present from my uncle (a puzzle box which I haven't been able to open yet).

In mind of that I'm probably over-reacting so I apologize.

Comment

I debated over posting this, but as I really want to know I figure I have to ask, it's the best way to learn. Why is using a race to describe someone seen as a bad thing? I think my confusion lies in the fact that if I described a desk, I would call it a brown, wooden desk. It simply is wooden. If I said something like all wooden desks are ugly, then I would be making a prejudiced remark. Wouldn't I?

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, honestly I don't mean to but I would like to know for future reference. And if this is inappropriate to the board, I apologize again.

As to the suckiness in searching out that much change to get a solid bill, I've been guilty of that, though only if my coin wallet is bulging and weighing down my purse.
                Last edited by Snowbird; 06-03-2008, 10:53 AM.
                "You are the dumbest smart person I have ever met in my life!" Will Smith, 'I, Robot'.

"You LOSE! Good day, sir!" Gene Wilder, 'Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory'.

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                  Why is using a race to describe someone seen as a racist and/or bad thing?
                  It's not, really. The problem is that a lot of people will immediately jump to the conclusion that, if someone's race is noted, any negative commentary on that person is directly pertaining or related to that notation. People get so paranoid about The Race Card, they end up pulling it on others by proxy whenever they bring up the subject.
                  Last edited by Boozy; 06-03-2008, 02:04 PM. Reason: Remove Fratching comment
                  ...WHY DO YOU TEMPT WHAT LITTLE FAITH IN HUMANITY I HAVE!?! -- Kalga
                  And I want a pony for Christmas but neither of us is getting what we want OK! What you are asking is impossible. -- Wicked Lexi

Comment

You can call me white. Pasty white if you like. Just don't call me late for dinner.
                    "Always stand near the door." -- Doctor Who

Kuya's Kitchen -- Cooking, Cooking Gadgets, and Food Related Blather from a Transplanted Foodie

Comment

Quoth marasbaras View Post
                      Just don't call me late for dinner.
                      My dad says that. "Call me what you want; just don't call me late for dinner."
                      I will not shove “it” up my backside. I do not know what “it” is, but in my many years on this earth I have figured out that that particular port hole is best reserved for emergency exit only. -GK

Comment

^_^ Due to me being really bored at work... Click here for the fratching side!
                        Carpe Jugulum : Go for the throat.

Comment

Quoth edible_hat View Post

In mind of that I'm probably over-reacting so I apologize.
                          No. No, you didn't.

That is all.
                          "So, if you wanna put places like that outta business, just stop being so rock-chewingly stupid." ~ Raudf, 9/19/13

Comment

I think the most important thing about the conversation is the definition of "normal."

oh, and the change thing is a little odd.... maybe he has a large collection of change at home (like I do...) and this is how he gets rid of it? Sure, a bank may be easier and faster, but there are a lot of retail stores that run out of change.
                            Ridiculous 2009 Predictions: Evil Queen will beat Martha Stewart to death with a muffin pan. All hail Evil Queen! (Some things don't need elaboration.....) -- Jester

Ridiculous 2010 Predictions: Evil Queen, after escaping prison for last years prediction, goes out and waffle irons Rachel Ray to death. -- SG15Z

Ridiculous 2011 Prediction: Evil Queen will beat Gordon Ramsay over the head with a cast-iron skillet. -- FireHeart

Comment

Quoth Snowbird View Post
                              I debated over posting this, but as I really want to know I figure I have to ask, it's the best way to learn. Why is using a race to describe someone seen as a bad thing? I think my confusion lies in the fact that if I described a desk, I would call it a brown, wooden desk. It simply is wooden. If I said something like all wooden desks are ugly, then I would be making a prejudiced remark. Wouldn't I?

I'm sorry if I offend anyone, honestly I don't mean to but I would like to know for future reference. And if this is inappropriate to the board, I apologize again.
                              My problem with it is that it is usually not applied equally. How many times is "white" used when race is not the issue? People don't normally say that I saw this "white guy yesterday", when race has nothing to do with the conversation.

To me it implies that non-whites are not seen equally. Why would you have to point them out, otherwise? If the ethnic description were used more uniformly, it wouldn't be an issue. But (to me) it implies an underlying tone of racism. After all, you never have to point out that someone is white, but you do have to point out that they are NOT white.

For example. Take any random post on this board. Now while I am sure this isn't true 100% of the time, I am sure that when race is not mentioned, the person of interest is white. Now this board has more of a PC atmosphere to it, so I am sure it happens even less often, here.

A better example for me (because I read a lot), is in science fiction. With few exceptions, I have yet to find a minority character's ethnicity, NOT pointed out, while the opposite (white) is always implied, but never expressed.

That's my rationale for finding it (slightly) offensive.
                              Last edited by ebonyknight; 06-03-2008, 05:38 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X