Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old man wants me to "prove" it's a bad sound card.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old man wants me to "prove" it's a bad sound card.

OK, I get this real winner of a call yesterday. Note this this is the first time I EVER had a complaint on me.

SC calls up after getting "help" from one of the other techs. SC then tells me that he took it upon himself to run the recovery program after the tech had him run a virus scan (which was NOT needed) and he still has no sound.

It turns out he had the printer plugged in while the recovery was running, but I advised him that we can run the recovery again but as it was already run twice we are looking at a bad sound card.

He then rails into me, saying that I am just guessing to get out of helping him. I tell him that is not the case, that I was a hardware tech before I came here (true) and when a drive is formatted twice and windows reloaded from the recovery program, if there is still no sound it's a hardware issue and needs to be physically addressed. He says "I don't care who you were, fix my issue!" I tell him that the only way to fix it would be to go to his house and replace the sound card which is an impossibility so he needs to take it somewhere to get fixed.

So he then exclaims, "Prove it! Prove it!" So I advise him we can try another set of speakers/headphones or see if the sound is muted, and he immediately says "Oh now you're telling me this!" To make him feel an inch high, I check both those and still no sound. I advise him his sound card is indeed bad. He then insists that it is not and asks "if it's bad, why don't I get an error?" I explain to him many times Windows will say something is working fine when it's really not. He then once again goes into saying "If it's the sound why did the other tech stay on the phone with me for an hour and a half doing stuff and you say right off the bat that the sound is bad?" He then once again accuses me of jumping to conclusions to avoid helping him and wants a supervisor.

So, supervisor gets on the phone and basically tells him the same thing. Now, mind you as we already diagnosed the unit he was not getting a refund. The guy basically rails into my supervisor, saying that the first tech was helpful but I was useless, and that I had to be "coaxed" into doing a couple of more troubleshooting steps. He explained the only issue he had was the sound, no other issues like viruses or the like. He was then bitching and moaning about how he should not have to pay full price if this is the service he is receiving, so my sup tells him for this time only he is going to get a refund minus a small diagnosis fee. Finally, my supervisor advised him to get the unit looked at as it is indeed at this point a bad sound card.

Client agrees, and I have to get back on the line and issue this jerk a refund. Fortunately, my sup also backed me up and recognized that he was just being an a-hole and I won't get in trouble.

BTW, as it turns out the original tech lied about what the client's issue was. In his notes he said the PC was running slow and was infested with viruses, and he had no sound. Well as I said above, the only issue was no sound and he did an hour and a half of bullshit steps to drag the call out longer (not to mention lying in the notes).
Working...
X