Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Don't talk about work on facebook? (language)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Quoth Kaycichu View Post
    My dad got really upset with me because I have been talking about work on facebook...but nothing really bad.

If its for fratching, give me a heads up. But My dad is seriously chewing me out over...although the question about the boss was from yesterday and I'm surprised he could find it, considering I made like 30 statuses since then. :P

I have a vent coming up maybe tomorrow, cause this week DID make me want to shake and destroy things x_x;
    Vent here. That's what CS is for. Never vent about work on Facebook. Ever. Not even to mildly complain about seemingly consequential stuff. You can never tell when someone will go overboard in misinterpreting it.

Your dad might have come on strong, but he's right. I know of two cases where nursing students were EXPELLED from their program based on what they posted on Facebook. They got back in after getting lawyers (the schools had very poor electronic device policies), but the damage could have been avoided with a little discretion.

Last week, three of my students posted a picture on Facebook bragging about having starting an IV on a boyfriend; the pic showed the needle in his arm with the tourniquet still on.

There were a lot of problems with this: aside from lack of informed consent, actions out of scope of practice (this kind of thing must be supervised in a controlled setting) there was the fact the equipment in their lab kits were not sterile, creating a risk for infection.

And it just plain looks bad. One of the big hospital organizations here demands your password to your Facebook account. If you don't give it up to them, they red flag your application and you can bank on not getting the job. I emailed the students and told them to delete the picture, and why in great detail. They complied. Thank god. Because MY school HAS a very good policy on electronic devices and social media that was written specifically with this kind of thing in mind after I read about the incidents with the other nursing students at the other schools.

I have a Facebook account, but I hardly use it, mostly to keep up with my former students and give them kudos when things go well for them. Facebook is like crack cocaine: sooner or later you get addicted, the withdrawal is a bitch, and it's hell on the body.
    They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Quoth Sapphire Silk View Post
      One of the big hospital organizations here demands your password to your Facebook account. If you don't give it up to them, they red flag your application and you can bank on not getting the job.
      VERY big red flag. By having your password, not only can they SEE everything (which they could get by requiring you to "friend" them and make everything visible by friends), but they can also POST as you - a violation of Facebook TOS. Does Facebook know about this organization that requires applicants to violate the TOS?
      Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

I second, third, fourth and fifth everyone telling you NOT to post anything about work on FB. If you absolutely must vent please do it here or just tell a friend or two in person. Don't trust any coworkers. Relationships can turn sour, even work ones, and you don't want to be ratted out to your boss over something which seemed innocent to you, but could potentially get you fired.

Comment

Quoth wolfie View Post
          VERY big red flag. By having your password, not only can they SEE everything (which they could get by requiring you to "friend" them and make everything visible by friends), but they can also POST as you - a violation of Facebook TOS. Does Facebook know about this organization that requires applicants to violate the TOS?
          It'd be illegal in my state. Just looked it up and apparently it's illegal in California to ask for your Facebook password for jobs. So I'd imagine that'd include schools to, no?
          "I've found that when you want to know the truth about someone, that someone is probably the last person you should ask." - House

Comment

Greenday - deffo a question for an actual attorney. It has been my experience, however, that students (and minors in general) have very few legal rights.
            "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
            "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
            "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
            "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
            "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
            "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
            Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
            "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

Working...
            X