Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We've had, cumulatively, about half a metre of snow so far in Helsinki. There's a pile of it - with lovely big hexagonal crystals visible on top - on my windowsill, and it's been giving the workmen replacing the roof a lot of trouble. The outside temperature is -9°C - that's 16°F.

Meanwhile, life goes on as normal, the public transport was running free of charge yesterday, and road accidents happen occasionally in blizzards.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
      As I say every year when someone threatens something along those lines, BRING IT ON!

Though I wonder just what a snow blower would be able to do down here. Blow sand, maybe?

Or just act like a massive super-soaker and drench us with a NIIIICE cool blast of refreshing water
      The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

Today was actually slightly chilly. I actually brought a sweatshirt with me when I went out. I didn't actually wear it, mind you, needing only my shorts and t-shirt, but it has been a bit brisk the last day or so.

But after tonight, it's supposed to go back to tropical normal over the next few days, other than it being a bit windy. 80F high on Christmas? Yes, please!

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
        Still A Customer."

Comment

Jester will appreciate this -

I had an interesting Saturday/Sunday. I had to drive through pretty heavy snow, that wasn't in the forecast. The high yesterday was a balmy 1 F. It was a bit windy. also.

What was this adventure? I was sitting in the middle of Lake of the Woods ice fishing. Having a blast, and recovering from my hangover from the party in the hotel.

I was also walking outside in this balmy weather without my coat, because the fish house kept getting too hot.
          "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

I missed the part that I would appreciate, apparently. Was it the hangover? The catching of tasty seafood? The fact that the fish house was too hot in 1F weather?

Sorry, it's morning, and I'm not that bright to begin with.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Well, Jester, here's what you're missing:

Of course, you're probably quite glad you are not the roofers involved in this project:

Last edited by Ree; 02-23-2013, 02:42 AM. Reason: Resized massive images

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
                I missed the part that I would appreciate, apparently. Was it the hangover? The catching of tasty seafood? The fact that the fish house was too hot in 1F weather?

Sorry, it's morning, and I'm not that bright to begin with.
                Well, inside the house it was 80. It got even hotter when I turned on the propane stove to cook the fish. It felt good to go outside every once in a while to cool off.

This year the resort had a new feature - port a potties on the ice. No more squatting outside, on the cold ice, in -20 weather and a windchill of -40 (yes, I had to do that once).
                "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

It's snowing lightly outside my window right now. Perfect.
                  Knowledge is power. Power corrupts. Study hard. Be evil.

"I never said I wasn't a horrible person."--Me, almost daily

Comment

It's snowing here in Fairfax County, though there's no accumulation. A DC101 DJ put the question to the listeners on whether this counts as a White Christmas.

He got a response from someone in the 540 area code (which is southwestern Virginia, near Blacksburg (Va. Tech)) who emphatically stated that it doesn't count unless it's a full covering on Christmas Day.

I say fuck that, it's snowing, it's Christmas Eve, which is practically the same thing, it's a White fucking Christmas.
                    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Well, Jester, here's what you're missing:
                      "I wouldn't say I'm missing it, Bob."

Quoth Chromatix View Post
                      Of course, you're probably quite glad you are not the roofers involved in this project:
                      One of our brilliant local musicians has an interesting take on roofing, which he apparently once did: "I discovered that gravity is no longer a suggestion, now it's the fucking law."

Still A Customer."

Comment

Today was absolutely beautiful.

So beautiful in fact, that I bought my swimsuit with me to Christmas lunch, then after lunch, threw it on and went for a swim in my relative's pool.
                        The best professors are mad scientists! -Zoom

Now queen of USSR-Land...

Comment

We actually have snow reported in the Shreveport area for tomorrow night! It will likely happen after midnight though, and due to warm temperatures this season the ground is too warm for accumulation, but that's the closest we've come to snowfall on a Christmas Day in years.

Last time it snowed to any great accumulation was three years ago, I think. We're not accustomed to it and don't have salt trucks so we generally shut down all the roads and hide in the bathroom with cans of SPAM and bottled water till we get brave enough to peek out the window and see that it's gone.

Ah, Southerners...so silly.

Comment

Ahh snow for Christmas. I think I have had enough of that.

I had 1 Christmas in Dublin with a light 'melted when it hit the ground' snow fall and 2 'wow you measure in inches and only hit a few' snow falls in London. After that I don't want anymore white Christmas'. They are over rated.

This year I was back at home (it's 1am Boxing day atm) and I got to have a BBQ in lovely mid 20 degrees celsius weather. I got to wear thongs (flip flops) and a pretty summer dress and see the sun and drink cocktails. I had a very good day.

And when I eventually get out of bed on Boxing Day, I'll be heading to my favourite beach. The beach that they occasionally move a leg of the Rip Curl Pro to. The beach that they actually filmed 'Point Break' with Keanu Reeves, on.

Oh I love Christmas in Oz.
                            A good bookshop is just a genteel Black Hole that knows how to read. - Terry Pratchett, Guards! Guards!

Comment

Here in the Indianapolis area we are under a blizzard warning. Snow is supposed to start sometime after midnight and they are currently forcasting 10 to 15 inches. Also 40 mph wind and blowing snow. I am currently unemployed so I don't have to worry about getting to work, but my daughter works in private banking and is actually supposed to cover for 3 other people who had scheduled tomorrow off. She has no choice but to go in unless they close the bank. She is really stressing about it right now.
                              "I guess they see another cash cow just waiting to be dry humped." - Irving Patrick Freleigh

Comment

The news here says that we'll probably fall slightly short of the record December snow depth (which is 83cm at the airport's weather station) this year. It's certainly kept the snowploughs and dump lorries busy so far, but they've kept on top of the job quite well.

I should also note that no disruption to airline schedules has been reported. In these northern latitudes, dealing with cold and snow is routine, and they keep the resources to do so.

Meanwhile in Britain I hear there is widespread flooding. If it were colder, that would have fallen as snow which is much easier to deal with, even if it does block some roads for a while.

Comment

Working...
                                X