X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They wouldn't tape you?

Comment

They did but because I'm short and have curves I don't pass a tape test. They weren't very profesional about it either they got into an argument about wether or not the girl who was taping me was doing it right and then they got into an argument about wether or not my height was right and maybe they were a little off on that so I really don't think the measurements they got were correct.

Comment

one half inch? Sounds like they pushed your head down a little.

I know cos ... some people would try to measure me a half inch shorter too. i had to learn to stand very erect and keep my neck stiff so that they couldn't push my head down.

and the tape test is bogus anyway. It's only a ballpark estimate. One of the guys in my "A" school had to get the water-test (don't know if they do that anymore) cos he was short & muscular ... so the tape test put him at "overweight" for body fat. IIRC the water test showed that he was extremely low body fat. *

Likewise I know some gals who have to stop working out before the test cos if they put on muscle it throws the tape test.

But it's not like the military doesn't know this. They only make exceptions for extreme cases where it's obvious that the person is pure muscle etc.

*This is also why a lot of guys will put weights on their neck to workout & increase muscle mass there. Having a bigger neck helps skew the tape test in their favor. (and why my classmate didn't pass tape - his neck was thin)
        Last edited by PepperElf; 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Quoth tigger222 View Post
          They got my height 1/2 inch shorter ...a different weight catagory so I now have to drop 6 pounds to be able to join.
          Or grow a half inch!

Apparently you're getting your first lesson in 'hurry-up-and-wait' early in your career.

Comment

I go back down on Thursday and then will go through the weight and height on Friday. I don't have to go through medical again so once I pass that I'll get to talk about jobs.

Comment

Fingers crossed for ya tig. Go get 'em!

Comment

remember, stand as tall as possible - don't let them push your head down!

some try to say "well you shrank" and i call bullshit on that. cos ... i've been measured at 5'3" and then measured at 5'3.5"... two minutes later. Sure I grew a half inch in 2 minutes? naw... I just stood very stiff and refused to let them push my head like they did for the shorter one

Comment

Quoth BroSCFischer View Post
                  Rule #1 of ALL military branches: Do NOT volunteer for ANYTHING!

Trust me on this (former AF).
                  Yup. A friend was telling me about going through basic training, and how while everyone told him never to volunteer, when the 1st sergeant went asking for people to volunteer to be firemen, he thought it'd be a cool task and raised his hand.

Yeah... Spending half the night shoveling coal into a hot furnace was "cool".

Comment

Sorry I haven't had a chance to update I've been pretty busy. So I met height and weight this time but my back is a little more curved than they would like it to be so I had to get a waiver on it. I just found out today that the waiver was approved so I have to go back down again next week and hopefully can swear in.

Comment

I made it! I deploy on June 4th. I'm so excited.

Comment

Go tigger! No height issues, eh?

Comment

Not this time lol. I didn't even have to go through the medical again.

Comment

Fantastic news! Congratulations, and thanks for serving.

I hear basic is tough . . . tough on the mind as well as the body. But I KNOW you can do it, and you will emerge a strong, capable person ready to do the job you are to be trained for.

Can't is a four letter word.
                            They say that God only gives us what we can handle. Apparently, God thinks I'm a bad ass.

Comment

Thanks. I know I can to. I keep getting asked "Are you scared of basic"? I keep telling them "No I'm not. I'm going to keep positive about it, and go in with a good and I can do it attitude. Besides if I don't have a good attitude about it and approach it like I'm scared then it is going to be a lot harder for me to get through." This is something I've wanted for a while now and I can do it and I will do it.

Comment

You'll probably get ripped on a lot by the drill guy, but just remember that it's his job -- to rip the old you out and build up a new one.
                                My Guide to Oblivion

"I resent the implication that I've gone mad, Sprocket."

Comment

Working...
                                X