This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grilling reciepes...

with summer slowly (ok...VERY slowly) creeping up on us, I'm looking to improve my grilling skills again since any time I turn on the oven in the summer time my kitchen goes up 10 degrees (5 for the stove top).

I LOVE the foil packet dinners I made for a while and want to expand more on those...

I'm a fairly competent cook, and while small I have a fairly well stocked kitchen in the way of "devices" (except a dishwasher and a potato masher ><)
    It is by snark alone I set my mind in motion. It is by the juice of the coffee bean that thoughts acquire 'tude, the lips acquire mouthiness, the glares become a warning.

My favorite type of grilling always involves marinades - the longer you can let your meat absorb some extra flavoring, the better IMO. Here's a couple easy ones:

Teriyaki Marinade - Recipe amounts are for a single "dose", but I often make a double or triple batch since we REALLY like the sauce. That way I can save some to re-apply to the meal after it grills, or to add to it while it grills.

1 tablespoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon cold water
    1/4 cup white sugar
    1/4 cup brown sugar
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/4 cup cider vinegar
    1-2 clove(s) garlic, minced
    1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
    1/4 teaspoon black pepper

Just combine all ingredients in a sauce pan on low heat and simmer, stirring often, until the mixture bubbles and thickens. For a double/triple batch you CAN raise heat to boil for a very short time, then lower back to simmer to thicken faster, but don't overdo it or the sauce will caramelize. Once the sauce is made, let it cool, then simply load it into a bag with the meat you want to cook. Works great for pork chops and chicken. Marinating time: ~8+ hours makes a great result, do 2-4 hours minimum for a good bet though.

As for the meat, how you cook it depends on you. For chicken, I like to use boneless thighs or breasts, and just make sure they cook all the way through (flip often, and if you made extra sauce, paint it on the chicken while it cooks). The long marinating cycle should help keep the chicken nice and moist, but if you overcook it the muscle fibers tense up and force out liquids, so keep a close eye on them.

Pork is easier, since it tends to cook through very quickly, and doesn't have the problem with liquids getting thrown out as easily. You can wrap them in foil, or put a pan under the grill layer (if using a charcoal grill) to make a lower heat zone, and slow cook them a bit.

Last bit? Grill up some veggies when you're done, and go to town.

I used to have a good recipe for a cherry glaze marinade, but I can't seem to find it right now. If I do, I'll post it too.
    "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
    "What IS fun to fight through?"
    "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

Here's another great marinade idea for meats, which involves, quite literally, no effort, because the marinade is already made and bottled for you. I call it a marinade. You might call it booze.

Specifically, take Jack Daniel's, or another whiskey or bourbon, or perhaps even a nice rum (not a light rum like Bacardi, but something that's amber or darker, with some actual flavor to it), and put the meat-to-be-grilled in a ban with said booze. Let marinate for about 15 minutes, then flip the meat, and let marinate another 15 minutes. Then grill it.

This is especially good for beef or pork. You could also use tequila, though I would recommend that more for chicken and pork, and not beef, though the dish you are preparing could change all that. Red wine could be very nice, too.

And while I thoroughly encourage drinking more of the booze marinade that is in the bottle, make sure you toss the stuff that was in the pan with the meat straight down the drain. Since, ya know, you really don't want to be drinking liquid that had raw meat soaking in it. That whole cross-contamination thing and all...

EDITED TO ADD: You just need enough booze to coat the bottom of the container, maybe a little more...basically, you're creating a pool at the bottom for the meat to soak in. It doesn't have to (nor should it) cover the meat entirely.
      Last edited by Jester; 05-02-2013, 02:18 AM.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
      Still A Customer."

Comment

For chicken, I've found this works well.

In a glass container (casserole dish), use enough Olive oil to coat the bottom of the container with a bit of extra.
        Flip boneless/skinless chicken breasts once and season with:
        1) Celery seed
        2) Pepper flakes
        3) Mild curry powder (lightly)
        4) Onion salt (lightly)
        5) Garlic powder (to taste)

Fire BBQ on high to scrape and then turn down to low.
        Cook 7-9 minutes/side or until cooked through.

Enjoy with sides of your choice.

B
        "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."- Albert Einstein.
        I never knew how happy paint could make people until I started selling it.

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
          not a light rum like Bacardi, but something that's amber or darker, with some actual flavor to it
          My understanding (based on a couple weeks part-time bartending almost 25 years ago) is that Bacardi offers amber and dark rums in addition to their white rum. Have they switched to "white rum only", or (since yours is a rum specialty bar) do you not waste shelf space on their amber and dark rums when, for a slightly higher price, there's something with a MUCH better "price/performance ratio"?

Quoth Jester View Post
          And while I thoroughly encourage drinking more of the booze marinade that is in the bottle, make sure you toss the stuff that was in the pan with the meat straight down the drain. Since, ya know, you really don't want to be drinking liquid that had raw meat soaking in it. That whole cross-contamination thing and all...

EDITED TO ADD: You just need enough booze to coat the bottom of the container, maybe a little more...basically, you're creating a pool at the bottom for the meat to soak in. It doesn't have to (nor should it) cover the meat entirely.
          Needless to say, if you combine these 2, it means that using more of the marinade than is necessary simply means throwing more booze down the drain than you would otherwise need to. If you're using a liquor purchased for flavour (as opposed to simply for its alcohol content) - and for a marinade, "cheapest stuff to get plastered on" is NOT what you want - that's alcohol abuse.
          Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Quoth wolfie
            My understanding (based on a couple weeks part-time bartending almost 25 years ago) is that Bacardi offers amber and dark rums in addition to their white rum. Have they switched to "white rum only", or (since yours is a rum specialty bar) do you not waste shelf space on their amber and dark rums when, for a slightly higher price, there's something with a MUCH better "price/performance ratio"?
            You are, of course, correct. Bacardi makes many varieties of rum, not merely the most common and well known one, Bacardi Superior. I was merely using "Bacardi" to indicate "Bacardi "Superior," as many people do. I was not dismissing the entire Bacardi line, just the standard Bacardi that most people think of when that name comes up. My apologies for over-generalizing.

With that in mind, if one were to use a Bacardi product for marinating, I would recommend Bacardi Select, Bacardi 8, or in a pinch, Bacardi Gold, though I don't put the Gold in the same class as the Select or 8, either for flavor or for use as a marinade. And while I think Bacardi Reserva Limitada is a fantastic rum, it is that very awesomeness that would prevent me from using it as a marinade.

Quoth wolfie
            Needless to say, if you combine these 2, it means that using more of the marinade than is necessary simply means throwing more booze down the drain than you would otherwise need to. If you're using a liquor purchased for flavour (as opposed to simply for its alcohol content) - and for a marinade, "cheapest stuff to get plastered on" is NOT what you want - that's alcohol abuse.
            You want something with decent flavor, that is palatable to drink, but you don't want anything that is off the charts, as it would be a real waste to use it simply as a marinade. I think I illustrate that exact principle rather well in the above discussion about Bacardi.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
            Still A Customer."

Comment

Quoth Jester View Post
              You are, of course, correct. Bacardi makes many varieties of rum, not merely the most common and well known one, Bacardi Superior.

You want something with decent flavor, that is palatable to drink, but you don't want anything that is off the charts, as it would be a real waste to use it simply as a marinade. I think I illustrate that exact principle rather well in the above discussion about Bacardi.
              I'm shocked, SHOCKED, that you'd use the 2 words "Bacardi" and "Superior" in the same sentence.

As for the quality of the booze to use in a marinade, sounds like you're pretty much restating what I'd been talking about in the first block you quoted (i.e. "price/performance ratio" - don't use the "cheapest way to get plastered" stuff, but don't waste the Pyrat Cask on a marinade). Looks like we're in agreement as to which one to use (i.e. 1 or 2 steps up from what would be the "well" variety at a bar).
              Any fool can piss on the floor. It takes a talented SC to shit on the ceiling.

Comment

Working...
              X