This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I'm not dead yet!"

Some of you may have noticed that I haven't been around much lately. As in, at all. Of course, some of you may be wondering, "What's he talking about? And is that's why it's been so damn peaceful in here?"

In any case, I've been a bit lax in the CS.com department, and for that, I apologize. (Unless you enjoyed my absence. In which case, I apologize for my return.)

I won't give excuses for my long exile. I will, however, give some reasons.

1. Been busy at work. Really busy, long shifts, training new people, dealing with a management shakeup, etc. You know, all the fun stuff of working in a bar. Six plus years at this bar, and I am now dealing with my fifth general manager. On the plus side, this guy definitely seems to have a sense of humor. (See below.)

2. Been busy trying to kill myself, apparently. Oh, you want details? Well, it's quite hilarious, really. In a matter of less than a week, I:

--fell on my ass/tailbone when I went to sit down at a bar, not realizing my chair behind me had fallen over.
    --crashed my bicycle on my way home, doing far more damage to my bike than myself, but doing enough damage to myself where I have regrown my goatee to cover up some of the cuts and bruises on my chin. People have asked if I was drinking. Not while riding my bike, no. But for several hours beforehand, certainly.
    --electrocuted myself at work. No, that is not a typo. On a Sunday shift that I picked up for a coworker (I don't normally work Sundays at all, but I wanted money, and he wanted the day off to go fishing), I went into the keg room to change a keg. When I flipped the switch and the light didn't come on, I reached up to jiggle the bulb, figuring it was either loose or out. What I didn't do was look up, nor realize that there was no bulb there, and I stuck my finger RIGHT in the socket. And...the entire kitchen heard me scream. Worst electrical shock of my life. How bad was it? Well, while I am rather hyper, I am not in any way jittery, and I was superly jittery and fidgety after that, to the point of:
    --my fingers on my right hand constantly being in motion, in a fidgety way;
    --whenever I had a pen in my hand, I'd be clicking it on and off non-stop;
    --whenever I poured a draft beer, my hand and arm would clench to a ridiculous degree;
    --it felt like all my muscles were trying to jump out of my skin;
    --my brain felt it like had been fried, to the point where I often had to stop and think about what I was doing, even if it was something basic that I'd done a million times as a bartender.

At one point, after this went on for over 20 minutes, I made a point of telling my manager that she should make a report about it.
    ROCKIN' MANAGER: "Are you okay?"
    ME: "No."
    ROCKIN' MANAGER: "Do you need to go to the hospital?"
    ME: "Hell no!"
    ROCKIN' MANAGER: "But you just said..."
    And I went about explaining to her that, no, I wasn't quite right, but I already knew that all the doctors would tell me would be that I just had to wait it out, let the electrical surge that was playing havoc with my system work its way out of my system, and that they wouldn't be able to do anything to help me. And while I was definitely experiencing discomfort, I had picked the shift up to make money, and damn it, I was NOT going to give up the shift just to go wait in the ER and hear what I already knew was he case. So I finished my shift, the entire time feeling that way, and it wasn't until about nine hours after I got zapped that my body stopped feeling that way...and the next day, while I was (predictably) sore, I was otherwise fine.

That week, I was a danger to myself, if not to others!

Side note: the day after the electrocution, we had a staff meeting/cleaning party. After the meeting party broke up, my new GM said to me, "Jester, the first thing I want you to do is check the light bulbs in all the walk-ins." To which I responded, "Let me be the first to tell you to go fuck yourself." To which he laughed.

When you can tell your brand new boss to go fuck himself, and he laughs, that is usually a good sign.

3. A new World of Beer opened up in Key West. If you've known me for more than five seconds, you know this occupied a LOT of my attention and time. And, if you're a fan of beer (or of me), you'll be proud to know that I am on the "Leader Board" at the WoB KW, which tracks who (of the Loyalty Card members) has tried the most different beers. Not only on the board, but in the top 5. Honestly, I would have been the first to 50, and the first to 100, but I was really ill for six days in the middle of it all, so I missed out on those honors. (The last day I was in WoB KW before I got six, I had my 49th different beer, so it was close.) Had I not gotten sick, I would have almost definitely been the first to 100, as I did my first 100 in just 19 days, sandwiched around those 6 days I was ill. (I don't drink when I'm ill.) And to be fair to me, 2 of the 3 people who beat me to 100 "cheated." One was teaming with his wife, and another's girlfriend came in and bought 35 beers to go on his tab to put him at 100, just hours before I came in and hit my 100th.

4. I've been getting laid. I love you, CS, I do, but when it comes to a choice between sex or CS, CS is going to lose out almost every time.

Since I know some of you are curious, and I am not known for keeping many secrets, I will tell you that the lady in question is the mother of a friend. Now, before anyone goes "EWWW!", I shall explain. The friend is in her late 20s, I am in 42, and the mom is in her late 40s...in other words, closer in age to me than her daughter. Also, I have known the mom for several years, as she's been coming down here for some time, and just recently moved here, after a separation. And we actually get along much better than her daughter and I do. So it's not as squicky as it sounds.

Also, the sex is ridiculously awesome. Just saying.

(Though I had no idea she was interested in me in any way beyond drinking buddies...but apparently this was an idea she had had in her head for quite some time, so obviously I am not the most observant person in the world!)

5. I've been busy planning for/shopping for/cooking for two upcoming chili cookoffs. The first of which is this Sunday, and which yesterday was canceled at the bar that was hosting it, and today, because of my postings on facebook, another bar in town jumped in and said they'd host it, which makes them rock stars in my book. (We won't mention what I think of the original host bar and their decision to cancel 5 days before the cookoff, after many people had already bought their groceries, and after I had already spent a whole day crafting my chili...but let's just say it sounds vaguely like "inconsiderate idiotic incompetent imbeciles.")

6. My iPad. Yes, I have a new iPad. Now, why would this keep me from CS? Well, I use it a lot, and I surf the web and facebook on it a lot, but I don't like to type on it extensively, because it can be a pain in the ass to do so, whether I use the touch screen or the keyboard in the cover I bought for it. Neither is as fast or as easy to use as the keyboard in my laptop....but the iPad is far more convenient for me to take everywhere in my backpack, or to use while laying in bed or sitting in my balcony hammock swing (another new and awesome addition in my life). But as you may realize if you've gotten this far, my CS posts are NOT generally short....so the whole thing kinda snowballed.

In any case, for better, for worse, and for everything in between....

I'm back.

"The Customer Is Always Right...But The Bartender Decides Who Is
    Still A Customer."

Huzzah, the Almighty Jester has returned! Praise be to the High Priest of Grog-Boozith, From Whom All Nectar Flows!

Glad to hear that everything's going well in your life-- apart from surprise electrocutions. And damn sure glad to have you back on the boards.
    PWNADE(TM) - Serve up a glass today! | PWNZER - An act of pwnage so awesome, it's like the victim got hit by a tank.

There are only Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse because I choose to walk!

Comment

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      Praise be to the High Priest of Grog-Boozith, From Whom All Nectar Flows!
      Amusingly, that whole post (and this) was written from my perch in the World of Beer Key West, while drinking a beer. Shocking, I know.

Quoth Jay 2K Winger View Post
      Glad to hear that everything's going well in your life-- apart from surprise electrocutions. And damn sure glad to have you back on the boards.
      And apart from the $75 or so in damages I did to my poor bicycle. Which, happily, is now fixed.

And thank you. Seriously, I appreciate it.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Yes, I was kinda wondering where you were, good to see you back , and good to see that despite your utmost efforts, you haven't managed to kill yourself.
        When you start at zero, everything's progress.

Comment

Welcome back Jester

Comment

Congrats on the MILF sex, Jester. So happy to see you back. I sure as hell missed you around here.

Now, if I could only get MILF sex, or any other kind of sex. Yeah, right, like that's possible. I know I'll bitch about how Mother Nature is pissing me off instead.
            "Life is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid" Redd Foxx as Al Royal - The Royal Family - Pilot Episode - 1991.

Comment

Welcome Back, Kott--- uhm, Jester! ^_^;>

Wowsers. What happened, did someone bless/curse you with the ol' "May you lead an interesting life" or something? o_O
              "For a musician, the SNES sound engine is like using Crayola Crayons. Nobuo Uematsu used Crayola Crayons to paint the Sistine Chapel." - Jeremy Jahns (re: "Dancing Mad")
              "The difference between an amateur and a master is that the master has failed way more times." - JoCat
              "Thinking is difficult, therefore let the herd pronounce judgment!" ~ Carl Jung
              "There's burning bridges, and then there's the lake just to fill it with gasoline." - Wiccy, reddit
              "Retail is a cruel master, and could very well be the most educational time of many people's lives, in its own twisted way." - me
              "Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down...tell you she's hurtin' 'fore she keens...makes her a home." - Capt. Malcolm Reynolds, "Serenity" (2005)
              Acts of Gord – Read it, Learn it, Love it!
              "Our psychic powers only work if the customer has a mind to read." - me

Comment

That boy's got a lot of electricity runnin' through him...
                "That's too bad. Hospitals aren't fun to fight through."
                "What IS fun to fight through?"
                "Gardens. Electronics shops. Antique stores, but only if they're classy."

Comment

I get you on the tablet typing. I post from mine, but I have an old school keyboard and mouse hooked into mine via the usb ports.
                  "Is it hot in here to you? It's very warm, isn't it?"--Nero, probably

Comment

Welcome back Jester!

Comment

Glad to see it was "A Series of Unfortunate Events" rather than some world shifting tragedy, Jester. I even asked the Mod Squad about you a couple of weeks ago. Try not to worry us like that again please. (Yeah, I know, if you could have foreseen those things happening to know how long it would be....)

Off to bike to work in a balmy 40F, but more later.

Comment

Mmnnmmph! Winter's finally leaving and the japester pokes his nose out?

Batten down for six more weeks.
                        I am not an a**hole. I am a hemorrhoid. I irritate a**holes!
                        Procrastination: Forward planning to insure there is something to do tomorrow.
                        Derails threads faster than a pocket nuke.

Comment

Welcome back, Jester.
                          That is so full of suck Dyson doesn't know how they did it - shankyknitter

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                            Congrats on the MILF sex, Jester. So happy to see you back. I sure as hell missed you around here.

Now, if I could only get MILF sex, or any other kind of sex. Yeah, right, like that's possible. I know I'll bitch about how Mother Nature is pissing me off instead.
                            MILF sex I love it. And I second the wanting any kind of sex. It's been years now. However there is some hope on the horizon we shall see
                            https://www.youtube.com/user/HedgeTV
                            Great YouTube channel check it out!

Comment

Quoth Victory Sabre View Post
                              You can either look at the positive or look at the negative. I choose to do the former. Not only in my current situation, but in the previous one where I wasn't getting any play. It's your choice how to approach it. I find that the positive approach works better for me, not simply for getting some action (which it clearly doesn't always work for), but just for my mental health in general.

Quoth EricKei View Post
                              Wowsers. What happened, did someone bless/curse you with the ol' "May you lead an interesting life" or something? o_O
                              Since when have I NOT led an interesting life?!?

Quoth Food Lady View Post
                              I get you on the tablet typing. I post From mine, but I have an old school keyboard and mouse hooked into mine via the usb ports.
                              I bought a protective case/cover with a built in keyboard to go with my iPad, and I use the keyboard for longer things, when the touch screen is a bit much (using the touch screen now, but this is a short entry), but even that keyboard is not as easy or fast as my laptop keyboard.

Still A Customer."

Comment

Working...
                              X